What is the Full Form of ETA?
The Full Form of ETA in our current topic the Estimated Time of Arrival. Estimated Time of Arrival is the calculated time at which certain consignment/ person traveling via any vehicle, ship, airplane, train or goods will arrive at their destination and is commonly a term used in logistics and transportation for determining the time at which the consignment will arrive at their desired place.
How Estimated Time of Arrival Works?
- Estimated Time of Arrival is generally used for passengers/ transporters so to let them know about the time required for traveling/ shipment to arrive or any article to be delivered or is required to reach its destination. It is also used to tell the receivers of the consignments about the estimated time and date when will they receive it. Emergency services also give estimated time to their patient’s so that they are prepared for the time and give necessary aid for standby to their patients.
- There are many situations where the estimated time of arrival is useful and the main aim of this term is to give an idea about the different stages of items until it arrives at its destination. This term is very useful in the business world as it helps to plan business needs more efficiently.
- Estimated Time of Arrival is implemented in public transport facilities such as buses, airplanes, trains, transport and logistics vehicles and emergency services in order to find out when are these means going to arrive at their desired locations. It works on basic statistical principles that account for the speed of a vehicle and the distance to be covered also covering halts in between travel area conditions, weather forecasts, etc.
How to Calculate Estimated Time of Arrival?
Following is shown to calculate the Estimated Time of Arrival in Full Form of ETA:
Calculation of Estimated Time of Arrival is very easy and can be calculated using a simple statistical formula which includes average speed, distance to be covered, point of origin, the destination location, weather, and environmental factors, etc.
Time = Distance / Speed
Example in Full Form of ETA
- Tele Company, a mobile shop situated in New York sells mobile phones by a big outlet situated in the densely crowded area of the town and through its suppliers are nearby it often imports Chinese mobiles from another part of the country to expand the business and sell a variety of cell phones to its customers. Few days before they imported few handsets from another country some huge brands as these handsets were in demand and were asked by customers, so the owner decided to import these handsets and take the risk.
- After ordering the shipment company told the importer that it will take around one month to handover the shipment to the owner since it is a procedural work and requires various formalities. After two and half weeks the owner enquired about the consignment from the shipping company, they informed that due to favorable situations and easy procedural ways out the shipment is going to arrive in the next two days the estimated time of arrival is the day after tomorrow.
- This was a favorable situation for the business and businessman to carry out business and earn more profit. Based on these dates and estimates of time arrival, the business can maintain stock and plan its refilling efficiently.
Application of Estimated Time of Arrival
Estimated time of arrival is a very useful tool used in various industries to predict the estimated time of stock delivery which leads to ease of conveyance and thereby increasing profits. By the Estimated Time of Arrival, we may know the scheduled arrival of public transport and schedule departure of the same. If there is a delay for any reason, we may get to know and plan accordingly, in case of emergency services, one may get to know when the services are going to arrive and give the necessary medical aid till the time.
This, in turn, helps in saving huge lives, in logistics one may get to know when his/her goods will arrive and can help in conducting business more efficiently. Even for the normal individual, it is very useful as when we order goods from the online markets such as Amazon or eBay, before ordering we get the estimated time of arrival so that it is easy for us to make the decision whether to buy it online or get it from the direct market. Broadly estimated time of arrival is used in –
- Emergency Services
Benefits of Estimated Time of Arrival
Estimated Time of Arrival is a very useful tool for each and every individual. It helps an individual to better plan his/ her time and work accordingly. ETA primarily helps in time management. As a result of better time management, one can focus on bottlenecks and try to eliminate them. This helps in better business planning and managing its inventory, sales delivery management and thereby increasing profits. Also, it helps in determining the estimated time of arrival of any public/ private transport.
Estimated Time of Arrival vs Estimated Time of Delivery
Below is the difference between Estimated Time of Arrival vs Estimated Time of Delivery in Full Form of ETA:
- Estimated Time of Arrival is the expected date and time when the goods or services are going to arrive at a specific point which is purely yard, port, airport, bus depot or dock. It can be shipped by any means of road, rail, air, water, etc. Also, the Estimated Time of Arrival may be interchangeably used for public/ private traveling modes like buses, ships, cars, trains, flights, etc.
- Estimated Time of Delivery is the due or expected date when the goods are going to be delivered to the final location that is the destination or the final consignee. This time may change preferably due to the consignee’s consent and appointment fixed for the delivery.
- Misconception between ETA and ETD is only that the ETA is only the time of arrival at the port or concerned place not the final delivery to the consignee while ETD is the time when the goods are going to be finally handed over to the consignee i.e. at the final destination.
Conclusion – Full Form of ETA
Estimated Time of Arrival can be defined as the calculated time at which a consignment/ shipment/ person traveling will arrive at the desired location or its destination. This is the most frequently used term in the case of imports/export shipments. ETA is purely a statistical term and based on simple formula i.e. Time (ETA) is equal to distance divided by speed of travel, transportation. This small concept is very useful in business planning and management. Although, it is just an estimated time. The actual time of arrival may vary from estimates considering different situations which may not have been considered during ETA calculation. ETA have applications over various buses, trains, car, flights and also in consignment shipments.
This is a guide to the Full Form of ETA. Here we discuss the definition, how ETA work? how to calculate time arrival & benefits with applications and example? You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –