What is the Full Form of CDS?
The Chief of Defence Staff is the Full Form of CDS which withholds a top position in India’s defense system. The constitution of this post is to modernize the military force and keep the hope and aspirations of billions of Indians alive. General Bipin Rawat was announced as India’s first CDS after the reform was made official. The Chief of Defence staff position is proof of India’s self-confidence and commitment towards becoming a ‘world leader.’
At present, Lt. General Anil Chauhan is serving as the Chief of Defence Staff after the unfortunate demise of General Bipin Rawat.
What Makes The Position Historic?
It was a long wait for India before it met its first Chief of Defence staff. After the Kargil war in 1999, for the first time, the recommendation came for the constitution of such a dynamic position in the higher defense of India. The Kargil review committee made the recommendation to the government to enhance the decision-making power of India’s defense system.
After the committee’s recommendations in 2001, a group of ministers came forward with this post. But, it was a mere imagination due to the lack of consensus. India’s defense mechanism should have considered the general political will for such a historic reform. This drastic change only convinced the leaders on 15th August 2019.
On the occasion of India’s Independence Day on 15th August 2019, the Indian Prime Minister made a historic announcement about the first CDS, the new position in the Indian higher defense organization. General Bipin Rawat became the first CDS on 31st December 2019.
A new department registered with the Ministry of defense called the Department of Military Affairs. The CDS heads the department, with 159 personnel transferred from the defense ministry.
Benefits of the Transformation
It was not easy for India to make such a drastic change, but it was the best decision considering the strategic location and relations with the neighboring countries. India is aware that the drifting ties with China and Pakistan are challenging for India’s security and harmony. With the vision of making the country more powerful and stabilizing its defense capabilities, creating the post was a much-needed transformation.
Here are some of the results and benefits:
- The new department of military affairs will ensure smooth coordination between the defense forces and the bureaucracy. It aims to facilitate inter-service relations, military functioning, and more vital civilian. It will give a boost to the joint planning and operations which involve the three armed forces together.
- Defense expenditure has always burdened the government budget. As part of the new defense mechanism to improve the combat capacity, around 270+ logistics installations are not operational. It will balance the defense budget and boost the overall capability of the forces.
- The Indianization of defense procurement has always been a concern for India. Under the ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’ scheme, the government focuses on making the procurement and technology used in the defense indigenous. From arms & ammunition to advanced technology systems, everything will be indigenous. Soon India will upgrade from a chief importer of defense suppliers to a top exporter.
- Given the integration of the three services, the CDS and the department of military affairs will take steps to mobilize the forces for the best results. There is the provision of joint promotions for the services. It will boost the spirit of the members of the three services.
- The Tri-Service Joint Working Group will manage all the operations and work as a communication thread between the three services. It will enhance coordination and cooperation, leading to efficient results. A review committee will closely look into the matters related to the strength of the army units.
- The training methodology is also under review to develop a holistic approach to the optimum use of the available workforce and resources.
Future of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)
The Chief of Defence Staff post is extraordinary; it encompasses the goals and visions of new India. It assists India’s transformation towards a well-coordinated and modern defense system. As the Former Chief of the Naval Staff said,” the creation of DMA under the Ministry of defense is the most significant decision of 2020; it is a major development in India’s National security domain after independence”.
The country’s vision is to create a robust defense mechanism ready to face any hostile situation. In the view of India, the post of CDS is quite significant given its tumbling equations with its neighbors and the changing world order. A robust defense system is crucial to make the country self-reliant and stable.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Full Form of CDS” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,