Excel Column Total (Table of Contents)
Definition of Excel Column Total
In excel there are various methods to know the total of numbers inside a column, in this article we will discuss those methods and shortcuts that how do we identify the total sum of numbers in a column. First, we should understand what is the basic definition of Excel Column Total we are talking about. Column Total means the sum of the numbers present inside a column. Now let us go through with various examples on how we can get Totals of Columns in Excel.
Examples of Excel Column Total
Let us discuss examples of Excel Column Total.
Let us begin with the most basic method to know the total of numbers in a column. In this method, we will select a column to see what is the total of the column.
1. Let us make a table of data in sheet 1 as shown below:
2. Now select whole column B as shown in the image below:
3. In bottom right corner we can see on the status bar that excel automatically calculates the total of the column for us. Refer below screenshot for the preview,
This status bar excel shows us what is the total of column B as Sum which is 527.
For example one we have seen how excel has given us total by selecting the total column. But what will happen if we select only the data range in the column rather than the entire column. Let us find out in this example,
1. Let us use the same data from sheet 1 for this example too.
2. Instead of selecting the entire column as we did in example 1, we will select only the data range as shown in below image:
3. Now in the same status bar in the bottom right corner let us check the total as result, it will be same as we have seen in example 1,
So even we select the data range in the column or we select the entire column we will get the same total as result.
Note: Now there is a catch for both example 1 and example 2 that these totals in the columns are temporary means the total can change as soon as the data will change, in the column for example till B7 we had data in the column and if we increase data in B8 the total will increase.
In the above examples, we have seen that how excel calculates temporary total in the status bar, however, there are some inbuilt formulas through which a user can calculate the total of the columns in excel by himself, one of such formulas is known as Auto Sum function. It is an inbuilt function in excel which calculates the sum of the numbers of the given data range. There is a keyboard shortcut to use the Auto Sum function in excel which is ‘ALT” + “=” buttons.
1. Now let us copy the same data from sheet 1 to sheet 2 for our data table as shown below:
2. In B8 cell let us press the keyboard shortcut we talked about above and see the result as follows:
3. Excel will automatically compute the sum from the data range in the given column, when we press Enter we will get the result as follows:
Apart from Auto Sum in Excel which is initiated by a keyboard shortcut, there is an inbuilt sum function in excel which allows us to select specific cells in any columns in excel to compute sum in the columns. Let us use the sum function in this example.
1. In the same data table in cell B9 enter the following formula as shown below:
2. Press “Tab” button from keyboard for the sum function and select the data range from the table as shown in the below image:
3. When we press Enter we will see the result of the sum of the numbers from B2 to B8, remember that in cell B8 we already have the sum of the numbers from B2 to B7.
Explanation of Excel Column Total
In any worksheet of excel data is present in both rows and columns in form of cells. Each individual cells contain data, when these cells contain numbers excel automatically gives us certain features to calculate the total of these numbers by different methods. Some of the methods are inbuilt which is a feature of excel but they give us temporary result, while the formulas which are used to calculate the total of the numbers give us permanent results.
How to Use Excel Column Total?
As we have discussed in the above examples we have seen that there are four methods to calculate Excel Column Total and they are as follows:
- First is by selecting the entire column.
- The second method is by selecting the data range in the column.
- In the third method, we had used the Auto sum function to calculate the total.
- The best procedure to calculate the total is by using the sum function.
Things to Remember
There are few things to remember about Excel Column Total and they are as follows,
- Column Total Means the sum of numbers in a given column.
- When we select a column for column total it ignores the header and calculates the sum of the numbers in a given column.
- Auto Sum function only calculates the sum from the data range above the function.
- By using Sum function we can select certain cells for which we want the total in the column.
This has been a guide to Excel Column Total. Here we discuss How to Excel Column Total along with practical examples and a downloadable excel template. You can also go through our other suggested articles –