Updated February 13, 2023
What does Emotional Intelligence talk about?
Before we talk about Emotional Intelligence Quotes, let us understand the subject of Emotional Intelligence. While we all must have heard or been familiar with the term Intelligence Quotient (IQ), only a little is talked about or discussed about Emotional Quotient (EQ) or Emotional Intelligence (EI). It is the ability to understand, process, analyze and harness our emotions in a beneficial manner such that the results of our activities are so much better. It is also one’s capability to recognize and identify their own emotions and the emotions of others associated with a particular subject that would essentially guide and direct their thought process and behavior toward achieving a specific goal.
Empathy is a word that is very frequently associated with Emotional Intelligence because it helps a person to be able to understand the emotions of others by relating them to their own experiences. EI is essential for achieving a goal and, at large, helps one to get along, cope with, and adjust to different social, cultural, or professional environments.
Background of Emotional Intelligence Quotes
The concept of Emotional Intelligence arose somewhere in the mid-1960s in a paper by Michael Beldoch. Over the years, it has gained immense recognition through more papers and journals published by scientists, business psychologists, analysts, and authors. It gained popularity only in 1995 after a published author (Daniel Goleman) wrote a book, having researched, analyzed, and studied the topic. Daniel Goleman’s work got featured as a New York Times Best Seller, empathizing with why Emotional Intelligence could matter more than Intelligent Quotient.
Why do we need to know about EI (Quotes)?
- Knowing, controlling, and monitoring one’s emotions are some of an individual’s most significant assets. Every day, at various phases, we go through a series of emotions.
- These emotions are not constant and are different in almost every hour of the day, directly or indirectly affecting our mood, behavior, and work.
- Studies have shown that the ones who do not succumb to their own emotions and instead oversee them by effectively harnessing them are the ones who accomplish success and good leadership.
How does it Work?
- People who are low on Emotional Intelligence have generally turned out to be terrible at managing people, handling themselves, or taking care of a situation. On the other hand, the one with a stronger EI has shown to rise and shine above most concerns. It is a trait that has the power to make a significant difference. It is a powerful tool to increase personal effectiveness.
- Daniel Goleman has put the terms like self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and social skills in a single framework.
- EI Quotes are around themes about the terms mentioned above. These quotes help you rise above your emotions and act as a catalyst to subdue your negative feelings and, in turn, convert them to positive ones.
- Due to the stressful and challenging period, we must understand that the human mind is more prone to vulnerabilities and hopelessness than its’ otherwise counterparts. Therefore, to stay motivated, inspired, positive and happy, one needs to build around a solid support system apart from self-handling our emotions.
- Emotional Intelligence Quotes involve words of wisdom from people of different professions, careers, aspirations, and backgrounds. It could be a quote from a scientist like Benjamin Franklin (the one who discovered electricity), Buddha (the one who attained enlightenment under the Bodh Gaya tree), and all others that one could have never heard of. “Use pain as a stepping stone, not a campground.” – Alan Cohen.
- One needs to remember that EI has nothing to do with the word intelligence and that it is not about the heart winning over the head; instead, it is a unique combination of these factors.
- It is also related to Social Intelligence, which can monitor others’ feelings and differentiate among them to get clarity of one’s thinking. Accordingly, one either empathize or distance himself from the malicious perspectives of others in their surroundings.
- Emotional Intelligence makes us competent enough to face our breakthroughs and setbacks with a sane mind and rational thought. It is a medium through which we can reason our thoughts and justify our actions. Over the last decade, science has done much research to examine how emotions drive our life.
- It can be concluded from the accumulated study that much more than IQ, our emotional capabilities and self-handling skills can go a long way in determining our success and achievements in all aspects of our life, including relationships with our near and dear ones.
- They must surpass their peers with skills, degrees, designations, qualifications, and accolades. Emotional Intelligence is not about suppressing one’s emotions completely and acting stoic in all situations. It is the ability to experience your feelings wholeheartedly and not be overpowered by them.
Based on our learnings, a person with a higher emotional quotient ratio is much better at achieving better social relations with friends, peers, and family. It leads to a harmonious relationship with everyone. Better productivity at work and improved performance in professional life lead to achieving new milestones. Be more approachable to others and empathize. A better mental state and well-being help an individual’s overall progress and holistic development and growth.
This article is a guide to Emotional Intelligence Quotes. Here we discuss the background of emotional intelligence quotes and how it works. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –