Introduction to Electrical Engineering Interview Questions and Answers
Electrical Engineering is a branch and discipline of electrical concepts and its applications related to electrical systems, electromagnetic and electronic devices. The different range of sub-areas involved in the area of electrical engineering includes such as electronics, control systems, telecom systems, microelectronic devices, electrical power engineering, electromagnetic power systems, digital signal processing, signals and systems, digital instrumentation, power electronics, material sciences, microwave devices, etc. Magnetism and Electricity are the primary concepts and basics of electrical engineering theory.
The basic circuit systems involved in the electrical systems are Series and Parallel Circuits and different Voltage and Current Laws, Power Equations to determine the power or voltage or current across the different branches and nodes of an electrical circuit. The core components of an electrical circuit are current, charge, voltage, whereas the multiple other components can be derived from the core components such as Power, Voltage, Potential, etc.
If you are looking for a job related to Electrical Engineering, you need to prepare for the 2021 Electrical Engineering Interview Questions. Every interview is indeed different as per the different job profiles. Here, we have prepared the important Electrical Engineering Interview Questions and Answers, which will help you succeed in your interview.
This 2021 Electrical Engineering Interview Questions article will present the 10 most important and frequently used Electrical Engineering interview questions. These questions are divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – Electrical Engineering Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Interview Questions and Answers.
Q1. What is Electrical Engineering, and explain its different applications?
Electrical Engineering is a branch of electrical systems and the application of its related electrical systems with electromagnetic or electronic subsystems.
The different applications are as below:
- Diodes, Rectifiers, and Transformers
- Digital Circuits
- DC or AC Motors
- DC or AC Generators
- Electrical Power Systems
- Electrical Control Systems
- Instrumentation Systems
- Communication Systems
- Digital and Analog Electronics
Q2. What are the basic fundamental components of electrical circuits?
Below are the different basic components –
- Active Circuits: Active Circuits are the elements that can generate energy from within their system as a form of source.
- Passive Circuits: Passive circuits are the elements that consume or allows the electric current to pass through it and does not generate any energy from it.
- AC or DC Circuits: AC is Alternating Current, and DC is Direct Current. AC will always produce some fluctuating current, whereas DC will always produce a stable current in the form of a constant source.
- Series or Parallel Circuits: Series Circuits are the circuits where the components are connected in series, and Parallel Circuits are the circuits where the components are connected in parallel.
Q3. What is a Capacitor, Resistor, an Inductor?
Please find below the different tables that Electrical Engineering supports are. A Capacitor is an electrical component where it opposes the current flow and acts as a passive element, and stores some form of electrical charge when a potential is applied. A Resistor is an electrical component where it also opposes the flow of current and is a two-terminal component. It is mostly used to reduce the flow of current. An inductor is also an electrical component, also called a choke or coil, that is used to build electrical circuits and store the energy in the magnetic field.
Q4. What are the different types of networks in building an electrical circuit?
This is the basic Electrical Engineering Interview Question asked in an interview. There are two types of electrical circuits called Passive or Active Networks. A Passive network is a network that contains passive elements in its network, such as Resistance, Capacitance, or Inductance. In contrast, an Active Network is a network that contains active elements in its network, such as Current or Voltage Sources.
Q5. What are the different network terminologies used in building the electrical circuit?
The below terms are used along with the electrical circuits and their applications:
- Linear and Non-Linear circuits
- Active and Passive networks
Part 2 – Electrical Engineering Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Interview Questions.
Q6. What are the basic tools used for the measurement of electrical parameters in an electrical circuit?
The list of measuring tools used for the measurement of electrical parameters are as below:
- Power meter
- Microwave meter
- Cathode Ray Oscilloscope
- Signal Generators and Analysers
- Sweep Generator
Q7. What are the different types of coupling mechanisms?
The different types of coupling mechanisms are as below:
- Conductive Coupling: In conductive coupling, a power supply will be given simultaneously to both the sensor and the load.
- Inductive Coupling: In Inductive coupling, an electric field is the noise causer.
- Capacitive Coupling: In Capacitive coupling, a magnetic field is a noise caused in the current flow.
Q8. What are Alternator and Generator?
The Alternator is a power generator, whereas a Generator generates some electricity by converting one form of energy to another. The only main difference between Alternator and Generator is that the amount of power being generated and for the application being applied to. An alternator generates power on the small-scale requirement, whereas a Generator is for large-scale requirements or supplies. In Alternator, electricity is produced by spinning the magnetic field inside the windings of the copper wire. Alternators always conserve the energy only of the required amount, whereas Generators utilize all of the energy that is being produced.
Q9. What is the Control System, and What are the different types of Control Systems?
This is the most asked Electrical Engineering Interview Questions in an interview. A Control System is defined as the system where the output and inputs are interrelated so that the input parameters control the output parameters. There are two types of Control Systems called Open-loop Control System and Closed Loop Control Systems.
- Open-loop Control System: – Open-Loop Control Systems are the systems where there will be no feedback from output to input for the purpose of correction.
- Closed-Loop Control Systems: – Closed Loop Control Systems are the systems where there will be feedback from output to input for the purpose of correction to control the desired output quantities.
Q10. What is the transformer, and what are its applications?
A Transformer is an electrical device that is used to convert the electric voltage from smaller to larger quantities and vice versa. The listed below are its applications:
- To match impedance
- Voltage rectifier or stabilizer
- Voltmeter or Ammeter applications
- Step up or Step-Down Voltages
- Isolation of electrical circuits
This has been a guide to the list Of Electrical Engineering Interview Questions and Answers so that the candidate can crackdown these Interview Questions easily. Here in this post, we have studied top Electrical Engineering Interview Questions, which are often asked in interviews. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –