Difference Between Cloud Computing vs Virtualization
Cloud Computing is a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. A Virtualization is Software that creates “separated” multiple hardware and software images on the same machine. This makes it possible to install multiple OS, multiple software and multiple applications on the same physical machine. Cloud is good for public use other side IT companies use Virtualization for cost-efficient data center setup.
Figure1, Cloud Architecture and it’s layout (Pic Credit)
In Figure 1, Various applications, Storages, and Infrastructure servers are running over the cloud and accessible for all type devices such as Mobile phones, Computers, etc. Cloud can be accessed through the internet depend upon permissions. Cloud is useful for external user access. Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Dropbox are the few examples of cloud techniques.
Using virtualization, the software can reduce the cost of hardware and it increases utilization, accessibility, and efficiency of the infrastructure. Virtualization works on the top of the hardware of the physical server and divides its hardware into multiple segments (Virtually only) where virtual machines are then installed.
Figure 2, Single Physical Machine divided into multiple virtual machines using Virtualization Software.
In Figure2, VMware software has divided/splits the Physical servers into multiple machines and all the virtual machines reside within the same Physical Server itself.
Benefits of Cloud Computing
It is accessible to all the users (proper credentials) without any restriction.
Using the cloud for applications is cost-efficient.
Least the possibility of access failure due to non-dependency on a single machine.
Cloud provides you independence from machine access. URL will give you access to your infrastructure all the time.
Real-time user access. Multiple users can access the same application and can work on it (Example – Google Doc)
Cloud is reliable for Backup and recovery since data storage is not server-specific.
Cloud computing is the best platform to showcase your applications/software worldwide. Users can access your application & work on it using a single link.
Flexibility to access it from anywhere makes it popular among users and service-providing industries.
Benefits of Virtualization
Server virtualization is the top reason behind its success.
IT industries setting up thousands of servers’ machines using a virtualization technique.
Multiple applications can be installed on a single physical machine despite OS dependency.
The setup cost is very low. Virtualization can be done on a Personal Computer.
The desktop virtualization feature provides flexibility to virtualize the whole system by a single click.
Virtual infrastructure works well with the low-speed network access.
Virtualization has reduced the cost of Hardware in the IT industry because the single server can serve as multiple machines.
Virtualization is Plug & play service; Thousands of machines can be created and make available for use without taking much time. Virtualization software can virtualize the physical servers without taking much time.
Head to Head Comparison Between Cloud Computing and Virtualization (Infographics)
Below is the Top 10 Comparison Between Cloud Computing and Virtualization:
Key Differences Between Cloud Computing and Virtualization
Below is the difference between Cloud Computing and Virtualization:
- A Virtualization is software that virtualizes your hardware into multiple machines while Cloud computing is the combination of multiple hardware devices.
- In Virtualization, a user gets dedicated hardware while in Cloud computing multiple hardware devices provide one login environment for the user.
- Cloud computing is best to access from outside the office network while Virtualization meant to access from office only.
The cloud environment is accessible through URL so it can be accessed outside work premises (Depending upon permission).
- Virtualization doesn’t depend upon the cloud computing environment while without virtualization cloud computing can’t exist.
- Cloud computing works on IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) while virtualization is based upon SaaS (Software as a Service).
- Shared computing resources like software and Hardware provide you a cloud computing environment while Virtualization comes into existence after Machine/Hardware manipulation.
- Cloud Computing provides you flexibility such as pay as you go, self-service, etc. while access to a virtualized environment won’t allow you to such features.
- Cloud computing is good for selling your service/software to external users while Virtualization is best for setting up Data Center within the company network/infrastructure.
- Storage capacity is limitless in the Cloud network while in a Virtualization its depend upon Physical server capacity.
- Single machine failure won’t impact the cloud infrastructure while in virtualization single node failure can impact 100s of virtual machines (If Physical Hardware/Machine is not configured in High Availability)
Cloud Computing and Virtualization Comparison Table
Below is the comparison table between Cloud Computing and Virtualization.
|Key Points||Cloud Computing||Virtualization|
|Cloud can be extended as much as you want.||Virtual machine configuration limits its scalability.|
|Setting up the cloud is a very tedious task.||It is very simple to set up a virtual environment.|
|It is very flexible for user access. A user can access its cloud from any location with internet (depending upon permission).||Proper authentication is required before accessing the virtual machines.|
|Multiple hardware creates a cloud computing||Dedicated hardware required for multiple virtual machines|
|Cloud integration allows future expansion of Users, applications, etc.||Virtualization integration allows the expansion of new machines within the same infrastructure.|
|Multiple users can access the network using the same link.||Multiple OS can be installed on a single server/computer|
|It can be accessed from all over the world. (Internet-based cloud)||Proper permissions are required for accessing from outside the network.|
|Not depend upon one machine.||Single machine failure can bring done multiple virtual machines.|
|Private Cloud and Public Cloud||Hardware virtualization and Application virtualization.|
Cloud infrastructure cannot be established without the help of virtualization. It is the foundation of cloud networks. In IT infrastructure, cloud computing and virtualization are used together to build a cloud infrastructure.
Virtualization separates the hardware from the physical machine to create multiple virtual machines on the same server while cloud gets build using multiple virtual infrastructures which combines the multiple virtualized applications/software/servers to create one instance for each application or software or server for users.
Google Docs is the best example of cloud computing
This has been a guide to Cloud Computing vs Virtualization. Here we have discussed Cloud Computing vs Virtualization head-to-head comparison, key differences along with infographics and comparison table. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- Cloud Computing Features
- Cloud Computing or Virtualization Techniques
- 15 Demons that Lurk in the Cloud
- OpenStack vs Virtualization