Updated April 19, 2023
Difference Between Clojure vs Haskell
The following article provides an outline for Clojure vs Haskell. Clojure is a programming language, which is based on java platform. Clojure is a dynamic and modern programming language used by many programmers and organizations like Walmart, Amazon etc. On the other hand, Haskell is also a general purpose programming language but it is a functional programming language, it also based on the lambda calculus. It was launched in 1990. If we write a program in Haskell it will always represent in the form of mathematical functions, these functions have their benefits.
Head to Head Comparison Between Clojure vs Haskell (Infographics)
Below are the top 11 differences between Clojure vs Haskell:
Key Difference Between Clojure vs Haskell
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between Clojure vs Haskell:
As now we already know that both are general purpose programming language. But both are based on the different platform also they differ in syntax, features and etc. Here we will see more about what they are and how to use them. We will also see their syntax how to define functions and variable using both the languages.
- On the other hand, we have Haskell it is purely a function programming language. Function written in Haskell based on the mathematical functions which provide benefits to have less error.
It provides various benefits if we use this language which are describe below:
- If we written any application in Haskell it will provide us high reliability and less error.
- By using this we can increase the productivity of the developer.
- Code written in Haskell is easy to read, undatable, easy to maintain and also very much clear as well.
- Clojure provide us data structure which is high in performance, this data structure is immutable in nature, which means they cannot be changes once created. If we try to create the copy of them and try to modify them, it is quite expensive. Also in Clojure, they provide us concurrent primitive these primitive can be used with concurrent environment where we need to handle several threads. Concurrent primitive takes use of multiple core very easily in Clojure.
- Haskell is functional programming as we already know now so this provides the advantage of easy of maintenance and also high modifiability in the application. One more advantage Haskell provide is that if you want to develop specification or prototype in Haskell so this can be easily executed, debugged and tested as well.
Example #1: Clojure
Below you can see in the simple and sample syntax to define various types in Clojure and print them.
(println "I am string")
(println [200, 300 , 400, 500, 600])
(println ["hello", "bye", "exmaple", "wolrd", "happy"])
Example #2: Haskell
main = putStrLn "i am string in haskell language"
Clojure vs Haskell Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Clojure vs Haskell:
|Clojure is an general purpose dynamic programming language.
|On the other hand, Haskell is a strictly typed programming language. In short, we can say it is an functional programming language.
|Since it is dynamic so it is very difficult or us to find the error.
|Haskell is strictly typed language like java, c, c++ so it is very easy to check the error at compile time only.
|Clojure is used by many organization such as Walmart, Groupon, amazon etc.
|On the other hand, Haskell is used by Wagon, thought-out and DoxIQ.
|Purpose to use Clojure is it provides concurrent programming and data processing.
|Haskell based on the lambda calculus, also every function we written in Haskell is a mathematical function, which leads to less error.
|Clojure programming language was released in 2007 by Rich Hickey.
|Haskell stable release was come in the year 2010 designed by Paul Hudak.
|Functional programming language are more and more concurrent, hence provide better performance as well.
|Clojure code runs anywhere. Just like where we run java code for example mobile device, web etc. This makes it more easy to use.
|On the other hand, Haskell can be used to design and handle list processing and symbolic computation applications.
|It provides us with Concurrency primitives as well. These primitives can be further used in the concurrent environment. This will help us to handle the several thread as the same time. Hence give us better performance as well.
|Some of the features which are provided by Haskell which make it better choice to use over Java, C and another programming like:
Modularity, Laziness, functional language, maintainability etc.
|Also, they provide a high-performance data structure.
|On the other hand, Haskell has been developed to handle the multithreading very effectively.
|When it comes to the editor for Clojure we can use Emacs with CIDER as the extension to it.
|It is based on lambda calculus and mathematical function.
|Clojure can be used to make any type of application such as desktop, web or cloud-based because it provides high leverage abstraction.
|We have three types of installer available for Haskell to be installed on the machine. Which area as: Haskell Plattform, Stack Installer, Minimal Installer.
As we discuss in the article both language have some advantage and disadvantages over one another. They can be used as per the need, one is function based other one is a dynamic one. One used for data processing and other one based on the lambda calculus. We can choose one of them according to our requirement and need.
This is a guide to Clojure vs Haskell. Here we discuss the Clojure vs Haskell key differences with infographics and comparison table respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –