Updated March 30, 2023
Difference Between Clojure vs Elixir
The following article provides an outline for Clojure vs Elixir. Clojure is a dynamic programming language which is used for making transformations and inclinations with the target software as JVM (Java Virtual Machine). It is mostly considered a general-purpose language used for combining the approach and scripting language that is flexible with robustness, especially in terms of multithreading programming. On the other hand, Clojure is a compiled language mostly used to compile the bytecode with JVM directly; still, it remains dynamic. Compared to Clojure, Elixir is also a language used for building scalable and maintainable applications.
Head to Head Comparison Between Clojure vs Elixir (Infographics)
Below are the top 6 differences between Clojure vs Elixir:
Key Difference Between Clojure vs Elixir
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between Clojure vs Elixir:
- Since Clojure is a Lisp-oriented language, it is used to manipulate and simplify functions by making the entire language simplified. But, on the other hand, the syntax is easy and loftier, making it most of the approachable, functional language.
- Clojure is designed to maintain the ecosystem and make the applications inclined with the software transactions for making memory and functional programming immutable data structure out of the box, giving the development team an advantage of using only features instead of concurrency handling.
- Immutability with Clojure as a programming language comes with default in embedded systems as it makes the state change with transitions handled with functions and atoms for entity identification.
- Clojure is a cross-platform domain as it helps in making the compilation to JVM bytecodes and helps in running it inside the JVM. It further makes the entire application robust and versatile.
- Clojure language is dynamic in nature and has superb processing language, although some rich and strict specification exists between the system, which is optional.
- It is a tool with a macro system that helps addons with additional parameters into account with specific language except for rackets.
- It is a tool which is used for automation, integration, and nice configuration with respect to environment file and other utilities.
- Conjure has some disadvantages like it makes a lot of error messages that are often confusing and do not allow much of the exception handling for error codes and management.
- Some language constructs are workarounds for JVM limitations and have complex FFI.
- The main ease and beauty Elixir provides is it helps in leveraging a lot of existing ERLANG Beam VM.
- Another added difference it provides when compared with respect to Clojure is that it helps in making good documentation that covers almost everything starting from writing and developing well-suited documents.
- Developers who are well acquainted with Ruby and Object-oriented Programming language will have many advantages as Erlang VM backbone language is Ruby. It also provides a steep learning graph for Prolog based syntax.
- When compared to Clojure, it also has the provision to download libraries as per the requirement that comes as built-in tools for maintaining the documents accordingly by putting them the scope of applications when it comes to adding “deps” function, which then makes run with command as mix deps.get.
- Infrastructures made of elixir is useful and helps in making the overall structure robust, which copes up with much traffic without extra costs for additional servers.
- Macros help in meta-programming, which in turn makes the functioning easy and simplified makes coding in a readable and understandable format.
- Elixir is also open source like Clojure but still have dependencies and structural differences like it is distributed and latency-free.
- Elixir still has some dependencies and cons, like it is used for deployment, which is less streamlined than normal deployments and manipulations.
- Some of the design choices could have more complexities and differences, which can make its adoption option a little less profound.
Clojure vs Elixir Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Clojure vs Elixir:
|Clojure is a dynamic programming language whose main target is to attack and manipulate with the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) directly.
|Elixir, on the other hand, is also a functional language which is used for building scalable and high availability applications.
|Clojure is a general-purpose language, but when compiled, it still makes this language versatile and dynamic, unlike Elixir.
|Elixir, once it creates a high availability and scalable application, is used by leveraging erlang VM used for running low latency and fault tolerance.
|Since Clojure is considered a language tool, its main emphasis and characteristic is that it “makes use of LISP”, “syntax is concise”, and “data structure is persistent in nature”.
|Elixir is also a language tool which also considers some of the key factors like functional, concurrent and uses Erlang VM for manipulation and changes.
|It gels with code which is highly immutable and is handled by atoms that have the capability to abstract and encapsulate the prioritized entity within it.
|In the case of Elixir, it gels well with Erlang Beam related VM, which is use for creating and scalable and high availability architecture when It comes to development.
|In Clojure programming language main fascinating characteristic is its ease of compilation which provides an edge for simplified interaction with OS and generation as well.
|On the other hand programming language of Elixir helps in building architectures which are fault-tolerant, distributed and possess low latency, which in turn becomes easy for maintenance.
|Clojure is used for concurrency and is used for software transaction memory, functional programming without immutable data structure out of the box.
|Macros are present as part of Elixir, which is used for making metaprogramming possible and effective at time of implementation.
Clojure and Elixir, both as language tools, are quite in demand with their respective requirement. Companies with build, scaling and management is useful when it comes to Elixir language, but in terms of Clojure, it will make use of distributed systems with the ability to trace and logging, therefore, making this target gel well with JVM and compilation activities also.
This is a guide to Clojure vs Elixir. Here we discuss Clojure vs Elixir key differences with infographics and comparison table, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –