Updated April 15, 2023
Introduction to Artificial Intelligence Tools Applications
A dream for many scientists and researchers, artificial intelligence is a field of computer science. It is defined as the study and design of intelligent agents where an intelligent agent is a system that is able to understand its environment and consequently take actions that are required to maximize the chances of successful actions. The rapid advancements in smartphones and computers have helped make the journey into artificial intelligence faster and smoother. Today, artificial intelligence can recognize speech, defeat humans in chess, and perform in complex situations. However, there are still hurdles in the field of artificial intelligence that they are still unable to imbibe qualities like knowledge, planning, learning, communication, perception, and the capability to move and control objects.
The aim of artificial intelligence tools & applications is to develop machines to perform tasks better than human beings. Artificial intelligence tools & applications are also supposed to understand actions in other humans, animals, and machines, thereby garnering a lot of importance and significance, especially in the field of engineering, robotics, and science. John McCarthy coined artificial intelligence, which is a technical and specialized field that can also have a significant impact on other fields. Some of the popular approaches in this field include statistical methods, computational intelligence, and traditional symbolic artificial intelligence. In contrast, some of the tools include logic, methods based on probability, and economics, among others.
Over the past few years, artificial intelligence has indeed come a long way. The world of artificial intelligence is rapidly evolving, with advancements such as the IBM supercomputer Watson defeating champions at Jeopardy, self-driving cars logging over three hundred thousand accident-free miles (and being legal in some states), and statistical learning techniques providing crucial insights into consumer interests. These developments have the potential to redefine the world we currently live in. The key artificial intelligence tools & applications basically lie in fields that have a vast amount of information and data. Sometimes handling so much data can prove to be extremely difficult and challenging.
At the same time, it is important to keep in mind that the insights and information gained from these artificial intelligence tools & applications sources are easy for human beings to comprehend and understand. Image recognition is one such example. Performing intensive, repetitive, low-level calculations on image features achieves this. This has helped in the creation of services like Google Googles where users can take an image of a location, and this service will try to recognize the same. All this is the start of augmented reality. This kind of technology is a crucial part of artificial intelligence. It can provide fields like biological research with a lot of opportunities to enhance and empower their area of expertise. Brain mapping is another area where this technology can have a deep-reaching impact and reach.
Interesting Things about Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence tools & applications have advanced and changed over the years. Here are some interesting concepts about artificial intelligence.
- Artificial intelligence dates back a very long time ago: Many people think that artificial intelligence is a recent concept and is something that is related to anthropomorphic machines and robots. In fact, many ancient Greek myths have the concept of machine man, such as the golden robots of Hephaestus. Further, stories of alchemy in the Middle Ages placed a lot of stress on placing human brains inanimate objects. Many religious bodies also believe that statues possess human thought and emotion, meaning that transferring human emotions and thoughts is something that has been in the mind of scientists and researchers for a very long time.
- A huge influence on artificial intelligence was Alan Turning: In the year 1950, Alan Turning published a paper called Computing Machinery and Intelligence. In this paper, he tried to find out whether a machine could defeat a person in what he called the Imitation Game. The test also had a computer that could tell the gender of the players as well. The introduction of the Turing Test in the paper is widely recognized as a significant contribution to the field of artificial intelligence.
- Formal research in the field of artificial intelligence began in the 1950s: While a lot of research began even before the 1950s, formal research in the field of artificial intelligence began after the Dartmouth Conference that took place in 1956. The conference organizer, John McCarthy, coined the term “artificial intelligence”. He continued to work in the field of artificial intelligence and made many valuable insights into this field until he died in the year 2011.
- A key to artificial intelligence is natural language processing: One of the major challenges of artificial intelligence is that researchers have to create a method in which computers can understand human language on one hand and communicate with them in an effective manner on the other hand. The field is responsible for this is known as natural language processing. Therefore, it is crucial for computers/devices to comprehend various languages, such as English, Spanish, and French, and offer insights in the same language.
- Autonomous vehicles benefit from artificial intelligence: Technological advancements in the field of artificial intelligence can completely revolutionize the transportation sector. Over the last few years, vehicle advancements like Google’s driverless cars and autonomous drones have taken the transportation sector by storm. This would not have been possible without some of the advancements in the field of artificial intelligence.
- Many new artificial intelligence companies are gaining a lot of prominent, and there are many investors who are looking to fund them: Artificial intelligence is an upcoming field, and there are close to limitless opportunities present in this field. That is why there are many investors who are more than ready to back up innovative companies that want to conduct their research in the field of artificial intelligence. In fact, according to CB Insights, the number of new startups in the field of artificial intelligence tools & applications has definitely grown in the last few years, and some companies like Sentient Technologies have managed to raise more than 100 million dollars through funding just after a few years of establishment. This means that there are multiple opportunities present in this field for people who want to explore new dynamics in artificial intelligence.
- Big Technology companies are looking to invest in the field of artificial intelligence: It is not just investors who are looking to back companies that have experience in the field of artificial intelligence, but also many major companies are looking at investing their resources in the field of artificial intelligence. In line with this, Google acquired Al startup DeepMind for close to 400 million dollars, while Facebook recently purchased Wit.ai. This means that almost every innovative company realizes the importance of artificial intelligence and that this is going to be the future of major sectors and industries. Artificial intelligence tools & applications have the potential not just to address major challenges across sectors but also help to discover new opportunities that were now hidden. It will not be wrong to say that major industries and economies worldwide will benefit from investing in artificial intelligence, considering how this sector is progressing and advancing.
- Artificial intelligence-powered robots can think together: The CoCoRo or Collective Cognitive Robotics was developed in Europe. They have developed robots with artificial intelligence that can work together. These robots can search an area, scan an environment and even send insights and information to one another. This is a big step because these robots can help sectors to gain insights into various industries and companies. These robots can help companies gain in-depth knowledge about various campaigns and provide them with gainful insights and information.
- Robots can revolutionize social interaction: Advancements in artificial intelligence tools & applications have completely transformed this field, especially with developments like Kismet. Cynthia Breazeal developed Kismet in the 1990s, a robot capable of recognizing human body language and tone of voice. This means that by understanding human behavior, these robots can completely transform the manner in which we understand human behavior and psychology.
- The field of artificial intelligence is polarising: There are very few technologies that are as contentious as artificial intelligence. On one hand, many organizations believe that artificial intelligence is the future of many industries. That is why many investors are readily pouring their money into the research and development of artificial intelligence. On the other hand, many known personalities like Bill Gates and Elon Musk believe that artificial intelligence can be the end of humankind. Whatever the status, it cannot be denied that artificial intelligence can have immense potential despite having some hurdles.
Artificial Intelligence Tools & Applications
Artificial intelligence is undeniably fascinating and can have implications across all sectors. From medical to data entry, artificial intelligence is definitely here to stay. Here are a few fields that continue to see immense acceptance of artificial intelligence and have a lot of potential for future use as well. The major sectors that can really grow through examples of artificial intelligence applications include the following:
Artificial intelligence is transforming the world of journalism with new methods of gaining and collecting information. Nowadays, many news articles are not written by human beings but rather generated by artificial intelligence. These sources are capable of discerning information and can put together articles in a manner that is completely understandable and sane. Artificial intelligence can generate reports on business documents, but in the future, they could expand to other sources, allowing them to write articles as well. While humans still have the edge over others, artificial intelligence is working more simpler for people within the industry. This is one of the surprising fields in which artificial intelligence may have long last influences and impacts.
(Image source: pixabay.com)
2. Transport Industry
The rise of artificial intelligence has the potential to significantly impact the transport sector, which is among the most important sectors. At some point or the other, human beings will hand over keys to computers because a driverless car will soon become reality. But the impact of artificial intelligence goes much deeper than this because very soon commercial truck companies, airlines, and trains can soon become driverless, which is a great advancement as it will free up resources and time in a drastic manner. While this might cause large-scale unemployment, it can have major benefits in terms of traffic reductions, less fuel wastage, and more time to commute, making life easier and less hectic.
3. Emergency Service
Emergency services can sometimes cost a lot of lives, for example, in the fire services department. Imagine how that can change with the introduction of artificial intelligence. This means that in case of a fire, human lives need not be at risk because robots will make it easier to save lives without the loss of the firefighter. Metal machines can withstand high temperatures, remain unaffected by smoke, and utilize laser and radar to access vital resources, rendering them highly effective tools. In addition, there are many other areas, like driving ambulances and cleaning dangerous leaks and spills, that artificial intelligence can help in an effective fashion.
4. Customer Service
Many brands and companies adopt artificial intelligence to meet customer service needs. Automated online assistants are already sweeping across many categories, and natural language processing technology will soon become a reality. This means that call centers will soon become something of the past. While these things might require some time to become a reality, artificial intelligence is really here to stay!
In conclusion, examples of artificial intelligence applications are rapidly transforming the world in which we live. Today’s development of artificial intelligence is nothing like the gloomy cyborg we imagined long ago; it is even more fascinating, innovative, and surprising than we could have ever thought possible.
This has been a guide to Artificial Intelligence Tools Applications. Here we have discussed the basic concept, and top application with some interesting things in AI. You may also have a look at the following courses to learn more –