Introduction to Agile Scrum Interview Questions and Answers
Agile is a process or methodology whereas Scrum is a framework used along with Agile in the area of project management to carry out the process of Software Development Life Cycle. Agile Software Development is an approach towards the software development lifecycle process where the requirements and solutions of the customer will be fulfilled by the means of collaborative work of the multiple cross-functional teams and the end-users or the customers or the clients. It helps in the continual project deliverables, continual project improvements, instant changes, and rapid development. The inventor of the Scrum framework in Agile methodology is Dr. Jeff Sutherland. The Agile Manifesto was written at the beginning of the year 2001. A formal process was initially created and was later named as Agile.
Now, if you are looking for a job that is related to Agile Scrum then you need to prepare for the 2021 Agile Scrum Interview Questions. It is true that every interview is different as per the different job profiles. Here, we have prepared the important Agile Scrum Interview Questions and Answers which will help you get success in your interview.
In this 2021 Agile Scrum Interview Questions article, we shall present 10 most important and frequently used Agile Scrum interview questions. These interview questions are divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – Agile Scrum Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Agile Scrum Interview Questions and Answers.
Q1. What is Scrum and how it can be used in Agile?
Agile is a methodology that can be implemented by using the Scrum framework for the purpose of the project management process. It contains a set of best engineering practices and best standards and also saves money, increases predictability, reduces failure, and improves the quality of the project being delivered. Scrum is a 20-year-old process that is successful in delivering the projects on time and quickly and as frequent deliverables instead of a single one.
Q2. What are the advantages of using Agile?
These is the basic Agile Scrum Interview Questions asked in an interview. The advantages of using Agile are –
- Benefits to Vendors, Customers, Development teams, Project Managers, program managers, Product Managers, Management Executives, etc.,
- It gives a high product or project quality.
- More customer satisfaction.
- Reduction in risks and increase in the project controllability.
- Early starting of Development and faster returns on investment.
- Focuses more on the business model and generates faster revenues.
- Faster product releases and frequent deliverables.
Q3. What are the advantages of using Scrum with Agile?
The various advantages of using Scrum are mentioned as below:
- Incremental Sprints can be delivered.
- Quality can be easily maintained which is the key component of the scrum.
- Transparency is established and every task can be easily tracked by the Product Owner and the Scrum master.
- Data Analytics or overview board will be available depends on the tool being used to track or have a glance at the complete overview of the project in a single view.
- Flexibility and Agility will be more in terms of delivering the project requirements and is also adaptable to the required changes.
- Customer Satisfactory Index will also be more and the cost can also be controlled.
- A product can easily be marketed in the shortest possible time.
Let us move to the next Agile Scrum Interview Questions.
Q4. What are the needs of Scrum?
The below is the list of few requirements of Scrum but are not exhausted :
- It requires User Stories to describe the requirement and track the completion status of the assigned user story to the team member whereas Use Case is the older concept.
- A name is required if it describes a sentence as a single line overview to give a simple explanation of the User Story.
- A description is required as it gives a high-level explanation of the requirement to be met by the assignee.
- Documents or attachments are also required so as to know about the story. For eg. In the case of any change in the User Interface Screen Layout, that can be easily known only by having a look at the Wire Frame or Prototype of the Screen model. This can be attached to the board using the attachment option.
Q5. What are the different roles available in Scrum?
The different roles present in the Scrum Agile process are Product Owner, Scrum Master, Team Members, etc., Product Owner is the one who keeps the requirements. The product owner also maintains the product backlog related things. The Product Owner will be the main interface between the project team, business, and customers of the entire project. Team members will be handling the day to day activities to fulfill the project requirements daily on the basis of the number of story points.
Part 2 – Agile Scrum Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Agile Scrum Interview Questions.
Q6. How long does a Scrum Cycle last for?
A Scrum Cycle lasts for a minimum of 2 weeks to 4 weeks and a maximum of about a month. The Scrum Cycle includes the Product Owner, Team Member, and Scrum Master. A Scrum cycle also includes different Sprints as well. Each Sprint will be consisting of few Story points and each User Story will be assigned a few points.
Q7. What is the Product Backlog in Scrum?
The Product Backlog is defined as the user stories or the requirements that are kept under a sprint is called a Product Backlog. This happens before a sprint is initiated and all the new enhancements or features, change requests are listed out, and if any new features are introduced then these features have to be listed out and they are termed as under Product Backlog.
Let us move to the next Agile Scrum Interview Questions.
Q8. What is the Scrum burndown chart?
The Scrum burndown chart contains two different coordinate axes called the X axis and the Y axis to monitor the working days or hours and the effort being assigned and tracked i.e. remaining effort out of the total effort. The x-axis indicates the number of working days and the Y-axis indicates the remaining effort to be fulfilled. It shows the real-time effort being carried out by the team members and in case of any delay or measures to be taken can be easily monitored and action is taken to avoid any kind of risk.
Q9. What is Velocity?
Velocity in a Sprint can be defined as the total amount of effort that a team is capable of fulfilling the project requirement. A velocity is defined as the number of story points divided by iteration.
Q10. What is an iteration in Scrum?
Iteration in Scrum is defined as the Complete Development Life Cycle in an Agile methodology of a Project. This term is commonly used in the Iterative and Incremental Development process.
This has been a guide to the list of Agile Scrum Interview Questions and Answers. Here we have studied top Agile Scrum Interview Questions which are often asked in interviews. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –