Updated September 15, 2023
Difference Between Affinity Designer and Illustrator
The following article provides an outline for Affinity Designer vs Illustrator. Affinity Designer can understand editing and illustration software that works on vector graphics. Serif developed it for operating systems such as Mac OS, iPad OS, and Microsoft Windows. You can find it in the package of Affinity Trinity with other software: Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher. Adobe Illustrator is also vector graphics editing software that Adobe Inc. develops. You can have this software in the Creative Cloud desktop app of Adobe.
Although both software is used for vector graphics editing purpose, there is some difference between them:
- Serif develops Affinity Designer as a vector graphics editor compatible with Mac OS, Microsoft Windows, and iPad OS. There are several vector editing tool that helps in editing purpose, such as Vector Pen, Shape Drawing tool, and so on. It also supports vector and raster brushes for creating real artwork. Apart from this, it has other tools and features you will know by and by.
- Illustrator is a part of the Creative Cloud app of Adobe and developed by Adobe Inc. as vector graphics editing software. We have several tools in it also that make our work easy such as Pen tool, Shape Tools, Text Tool, and so on. We can create highly précised illustrations and artwork with this software’s features.
Affinity Designer vs Illustrator (Infographics)
Below are the top 5 differences between Affinity Designer and Illustrator:
Key Differences Between Affinity Designer vs Illustrator
We know that Affinity Designer and Adobe Illustrator are both vector graphics editing software, although there are some key differences you must know about:
- To have Affinity Designer in your pocket and start working with it, you have to pay $24.21 per feature, and it has no free version because Affinity Designer doesn’t offer a free trial to its users. On the other hand, to have adobe illustrator, you have to pay $20.99 per month; for business purposes, you can have it by paying $29.99 per month. Adobe offers a free trial to its users for a limited period.
- Affinity Designer works on non-destructive editing features of unlimited layers; it can pan and zoom at 60 fps, and you can see several effects in real-time view. In addition, it supports vector and raster brushes, allowing you to use dynamic symbols, manage text, etc. At the same time, Illustrator allows us to work with different types of art illustration tools that work on editing and creating vector graphics. We also have a layers panel, which makes us work more efficiently when managing artwork on different layers.
- If we talk about color modes, then Affinity Designer supports RGB, CMYK, RGB Hex, LAB, Grayscale, PANTONE, etc. For example, in Adobe Illustrator, we have RGB and CMYK modes, between which we can switch modes at any time by using an option of this software.
- Affinity Designer and Adobe Illustrator are packed with many good features and tools. The best part is that we can set the user interface as per our suitability in both software using their different features. So the user interface of both software is quite handy, and both have their working methodology, which you will know once you start working with them.
Comparison Table of Affinity Designer vs Illustrator
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Affinity Designer vs Illustrator:
|Initially, ReleaseSerif Europe developed it||pe and originally released in October 2014 as a vector graphics editor.||It was initially released on March 19, 1987, by Adobe Inc. for vector editing and illustration purposes.|
|Stable Released||Its latest and stable version is 1.10.0, launched on July 28, 2021, with many improved features.||Its latest version is Adobe Illustrator 2022, released on October 26, 2021, to overcome the drawbacks of the last version.|
|Operating System||It is compatible with several operating software, such as Mac OS, Microsoft Windows, and iPad OS.||You can run this software on a different operating system, such as Microsoft Windows 10, Mac OS 10.12 Sierra, and later versions.|
|License||We can categorize it as a Vector graphics editor with a Proprietary license type, meaning you must pay for this software.||We can categorize this software in the Vector graphics editing software category, which has a Proprietary license type.|
|Availability||You can visit www.affinity.serif.com to have more knowledge about this software. You can also have a download link to this software from here.||Visit www.adobe.com to have more information about this software as well as to download this software.|
Now you can start working with any of them according to your suitability for vector graphics editing and creation. Moreover, both software has their specialization, so you can try both individual forces for a better experience. Finally, you can use your desired software once you know its working methodology.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Affinity Designer vs Illustrator” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.