Updated April 12, 2023
Introduction to WinRM
Windows remote management was started by Microsoft based on the management protocol of windows. All the hardware and operating systems are made to work together in an interactive and interoperable environment with the help of WinRM based on a secure and Simple Object based Protocol (SOAP). This is basically developed to manage the windows devices and servers in the system. One major use of WinRM is that it can be used to connect remote servers one another or to other devices and run commands in them. All the windows operating systems have WinRM.
What is WinRM?
We all might have seen the symbol of Windows Remote management in our system and have wondered what it does exactly and how it works in our system. WinRM can be made from its name as it says management of devices and servers linked to Windows in the system. But then, is it the only work that WinRM does? WinRM is built in remote management protocol and also uses SOAP protocol so that the interface of this application is made to interact with the remote servers and devices that uses Windows. Also, it interacts with the Windows applications and Operating systems in the device.
The in-built command line tools help in communicating with the hosts through any channels or ports that is in the system. Also, the communication happens through workstations, servers or any operating system that uses WinRM. If the remote systems or servers’ network is accessible, WinRM can be used to run commands and to control the devices. All the servers can be monitored or managed or even configured using WinRM. This is good in a way that if systems are facing issues, we need not go to the client location. We can control and configure the systems using WinRM in the device. It is preinstalled in previous versions of Windows and it works easily without any configuration setup.
But in newer versions like Windows 10, it has to be installed and configured to use. There are some tools in handy to configure the application in the system. There is a process connected with WinRM called WinRS that is a part of WinRM related to Remote Shell. This helps in running the commands and processes to configure WinRM.
Importance of WinRM
- The importance lies in the fact that it can control a range of devices within its power, be the devices in remote places or local. Also, managing work stations and the hardware related to physical systems make WinRM important within itself.
- Important point to note is that configuration has to be setup properly with well-defined ports in the system. This makes the system to start and stop any processes, to know the system status and to maintain the system as and when the user needs them. Not only installing the software but uninstalling them can also be made by WinRM tool. Configuration can be done easily using ‘winRMquickconfig’ command running in cmd.
- Any commands can be done with the help of WinRM if the configuration and port management is done properly. In order to use WinRM, there are lots of other processes but it is always good to go with inbuilt process as it is always less troublesome. Though initial configuration takes time, it is good to have it to save other long processes. WQL query is used for configuration inside the system though installing WinRM does not require the knowledge of the same.
- Security offered in the system is default process as it does not send actual credentials to the network communication made ever. Also, we can use HTTPS to authenticate the servers in a secure fashion along with WinRM. Additional security is offered if SSL/TLS certificates are used for insuring the same and thus attacker cannot use or copy the credentials used in the system.
- Several components are used in WinRM such as scripting, cmd, plugins, services and management protocol. As mentioned earlier, WinRS is also used as powers hell in the system to ensure proper working of all the servers and tools associated with the device. Intelligent platform interface is used in it that helps in managing the hardware with the help of remote servers. If the operating system is not in working condition or is continuously working in remote conditions, IP interface is useful.
Given below are the advantages of WinRM:
- The main advantage of WinRM is its port. The port used in WinRM is significant in a way that the same port is used for security in the communication network. Thus, security of WinRM is not compromised in any ways. The port open for firewalls is used in WinRM.
- Also, it makes the database to do all the tasks relevant to the system and to do the management tasks of all the servers. Thus, it is important to know that the database is working fine in all ways. WinRM along with WinRS does all the tasks in the system related to the remote management and managing servers. They are sides of a single coin.
- Network communication is done easily with it due to the port used in the system. A single port can be used for secure connection and remote connection. With the single port, the entire working of WinRM along with the network management can be done.
- The shell scripts can be obtained directly from the WinRM solution rather than exploring the shell. This script help to manage the system and if needed other devices or applications within the system.
- Some Virtual machines can be used with it without any extra hassles of installing them in the system.
This is a guide to What is WinRM? Here we discuss the introduction to WinRM with the importance and advantages respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –