Introduction to Port
The connecting device inside a computer system to help it connect to other devices in the network or any other hardware is called port. It acts as an interactive point between the computer and other devices and helps in the communication of these devices. Ports are given to the systems based on the communications they carry out or based on the devices that are connected to the system. A number is assigned to each port so that while the communication between devices and system is based, the network can find out the type of communication and the data taken during the communicating time.
Importance of Port
- It can either be a connecting device between two systems or part of a network address. In either way, it helps the system to pass information from one device to another and also to check the network in which the system is working. This helps the devices to maintain a protocol while the transaction of information is being carried out.
- Slots are created in the motherboard and are connected to the data storage or sound system or videos or the file system. When a device is connected to any port, the slots check their functions, and relevant data is given to the port. Sockets provide sounds, VGI is connected to the videos, and USB is connected to the file storage. When the option of no data transfer is given, the charging of the device takes place.
- This is used in software so that application processes can be made known in the network. It works by connecting each process to a port and hence proper communication is done through the network to the process to handle the same.
- Scanning is done in all the ports so that the security of the system is not compromised. If an attacked device is inserted into the system, it makes the data vulnerable and available to anyone whoever handles the attack. Thus, priorities are given to the scanning of devices in the port.
Types of Port
- Types of port depend on the usage and the way it helps the system to control the traffic.
- HDMI or High Definition Media Interface helps the system to connect to any projector to display the contents it has that the user intends to show to the audience. HDMI is a port that is wedge-shaped and is present in any desktops and laptops. This is connected with the help of a cable to the projector.
- USB or Universal Serial Bus is used in the device to connect with any gadgets such as pen drives, hard disks, mobile phones, etc. This acts as a multipurpose port that it helps to connect with any gadget with the same port. USB acts as a short distance agent to cover digital communications and they are present in almost all the systems. Data transfer is faster and if the devices are chargeable, then they are charged through USB.
- Serial Port helps in transferring the information as that of a communication device in bits. This is the oldest type of port where information is transferred through external modems and is available in different versions in the market.
- Parallel Ports work similar to serial ports but the information transfer is done in several bits at a time. This is used even now in many external devices such as printers and scanners. Some call this as a printer port or scanner port based on their usage and there is only one model available in the market. This acts in the form of a parallel communication interface.
- There are also mini connectors used in the system to connect the keyboards and mouses. They are called PS/2 Ports that are otherwise called as mouse ports. Mostly used in old systems, these ports help in securing the system and hence many organizations haven’t replaced it yet. There are no restrictions in the system and this helps to manage the keyboard or mouse in the system.
- Modem Ports are used in the system so that modems can be connected to telephones or any other communication network. This helps to use the data connection and manage the devices in the network.
- Ethernet cables are connected through Ethernet Ports so that data transmission happens at a faster rate in the device. This manages the data transmission and the amount of data in the device to be transferred is made known to the user.
- Game Ports were used in the system to connect the joystick so that game freaks would find it easier to interact with the application than through a mouse. Though, now it is replaced with USB and no longer used in the devices.
- Digital Video Interface is a port used in the system to connect it to any monitor or LCD so that the images or videos appear in a larger size and helps the user to notice the minor changes in the videos. High-end graphics can be seen through the device and this makes the system check the resolution of videos.
- Though Sockets are not considered as a proper port, they help to connect the audio devices to the sound system in the computer that helps the user to avoid noises in a crowded area.
- Video Graphic Array Connector or VGA is used in systems or projectors to connect the video card to the monitor of any device. Analog signals are used in the connector and hence it is not in high use nowadays. They are of great help in reducing the resolution of the videos.
- Firewire Ports are used to connect the device with any video equipment or recorders. Data transfer is faster and is invented by Apple. 4-pin, 6-pin, and 9-pin variants are used as ports in the device.
Any external devices that fit into the system’s port can be connected to the system either through the cable or through the port in the external device itself. This is of greater help while transferring data and while checking the images and videos.
This is a guide to What is Port. Here we discuss an introduction to the Port, the importance, types of it in detail. You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –