Updated April 12, 2023
Introduction to Bitbucket
Bitbucket is Git repository management which is specially developed for professional teams. The central hub to handle all the repositories of git is collaborated on the source code and guide all through the software development cycle. It is a section of the Atlassian family with tools such as Confluence, Jira, and others to support the technical teams to explore the entire potential. The deployment of Bitbucket is made in three different options. They are Bitbucket cloud, Bitbucket data center, and Bitbucket Server.
Why do we use Bitbucket?
The Bitbucket is used in access control, pull request, workflow control, integration of Jira, full rest API. The restriction of source code is provided by Bitbucket, which has access control. The enforcement of a project or team is made using workflow control, and the pull requests are carried within the inline comment to collaborate on the code reviews. The traceability of the entire development is done by Jira integration.
The entire API is made to develop features to configure the workflow if it not instantly available. The Bitbucket Cloud is deployed on the servers of Atlassian, and it is enabled using URL. It has an extensive in-built persistent integration tool. The pipelines allow the user to develop, test and execute instantly along with Bitbucket. The Bitbucket server is hoisted directly on-premises, which is in the user environment. But it doesn’t have the option of in-built testing and deployment, and so it is strongly connected to Bamboo, which is the robust continuous integration and persistent delivery that makes the process automated.
The Bitbucket center is similar to a singular instance of a user server to Bitbucket, which is deployed on the enormous servers in a cluster environment which adds more benefits to the server. The cluster of multiple servers executing on the Bitbucket server that manages heavy load than a unit server with scalable performance. It is attracted to its higher availability. Because if a cluster slows down, all the rest of the nodes can share the workload with the remaining available servers and accomplish all the requests with no data loss. The smart mirroring increases the speed of the Git clone for the scattered team operating on the large repositories.
Features of Bitbucket
Given below are the features:
- The code review and codes are managed by Bitbucket, which possesses many features such as continuous delivery lines, pull services for comments and code review, bitbucket pipelines, dual-step verification process, whitelisting of IP, merging and code searching of alphas and checks.
- It provides Git large file storage services, tracking of issues, Wikis, integrations, and add-ons.
- The documentation also includes readme files that have different markdown file formats.
- The static websites hosted on Bitbucket cloud servers have Bitbucket.io.domain.in the URL.
- The snippet and smart monitoring enable the developer to exchange the code files or segments and utilizes third-party servers that rely on any development and programming language. They support for freestyle of Jenkins, project based on pipelines, and Bitbucket provides multiple branch pipeline.
- The automated webhook development in Bitbucket server repo if Jenkin jobs are saved.
- The rapid section of projects on the server using Jenkin’s job via the dropdown.
- It can also transfer status to the Bitbucket server, and cloning is possible with the help of smart mirrors.
- The Mercurial VCS and Git are supported by Bitbucket, which is scripted in Python on the web framework of Django.
- It can be installed in most operating systems such as Mac, Windows, and Android.
- It is also available in SOC type 2 with all the integrated security compliance tools.
Importance of Bitbucket
Below are the importance mentioned:
- Some of the important features of Bitbucket are code reviews, pull requests, comparison of different branches at an organization level.
- The distributed system’s speed is provided by smart mirrors, which catalyzes the clones and fetching times and checks the work is synced and secured to the committed history.
- It is limited for five users and provides free unlimited private repositories.
- The integration of tools can be provided by crucible Jenkins, Jira, and Bamboo.
- The external authentication is supported by Facebook, Twitter, Google and GitHub.
- It gives more flexibility and develops its workflow.
- The more option about the workflow can explain the different versions of the control system. The import of CodePlex, HG, SourceForge, SVN, and Git can be made.
- But one user account on a single platform makes things simple and easier, and with the help of Bitbucket makes many possible private repositories as per the requirement, and for free, it offers five private repositories.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Bitbucket
Given below are the advantages and disadvantages:
Let us see some several advantages:
- A variety of operating systems can be executed on the platform.
- It allows the user to register on an official web browser to create the own personal account.
- It is almost based on the mechanism of source code management.
- The integrated comments and request makes simultaneous use of code and shares the views of Git repositories.
- The possibility to develop an adaptable and flexible deployment to model the team is done.
- The access to private and public repositories is made simple by using Bitbucket without any complexities.
- It is open to smaller teams and robust query management systems.
- Bitbucket makes support to authenticate social media effectively.
- The advanced big tracking tool is developed in Bitbucket with an integrated Jira tool.
- The importing of repositories is made by Bitbucket and is also freely available to teachers and students.
Let us see several disadvantages:
- It can be extended only to five members, and if the team size is increased, the payment should be done according to the additionality of every member.
- The launch repository is deployed by using the external application, and there is no stability in GitHub, and the process gets slowdown at heavy load.
Hence the allocation of many business and personal projects can be deployed using Bitbucket because of its extensibility. It makes the simple and effective potential value to the code, which is highly important.
This is a guide to What is Bitbucket? Here we discuss the introduction to Bitbucket with uses, features, importance, advantages and disadvantages, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –