Application Software: Task-Oriented
Computer software is basically programs and procedures intended to perform specific tasks on a system. From the lowest level assembly language to the high-level languages, there are different types of application software. Computer software systems are classified into three major types, namely system software, programming software and application software.
While system software comprises device drivers, OS, servers and software components, programming software helps in writing programs through tools such as editors, linkers, debuggers, compilers/interpreters and ore. Application software , in contrast to these two, is used for attaining specific tasks.
Application software uses a computer’s capacity directly for specific tasks and is used to manipulate text, graphics, and numbers.
Types of Application Software
The different types of application software include the following:
|Application Software Type||Examples|
|Word processing software||MS Word, WordPad and Notepad|
|Database software||Oracle, MS Access etc|
|Spreadsheet software||Apple Numbers, Microsoft Excel|
|Multimedia software||Real Player, Media Player|
|Presentation Software||Microsoft PowerPoint, Keynotes|
|Enterprise Software||Customer relationship management system|
|Information Worker Software||Documentation tools, resource management tools|
|Educational Software||Dictionaries: Encarta, BritannicaMathematical: MATLABOthers: Google Earth, NASA World Wind|
|Simulation Software||Flight and scientific simulators|
|Content Access Software||Accessing content through media players, web browsers|
|Application Suites||OpenOffice, Microsoft Office|
|Software for Engineering and Product Development||IDE or Integrated Development Environments|
There are various application software types such as licensed, sold, freeware, shareware, and open source.
Application software’s either need to be installed or can run online. Application software’s can also be distinguished on the basis of usage into the following:
- Utility programs
- Generic programs
- Integrated programs
- Specific software
- Bespoke software
- Word processing software
- Desktop publishing software
- Spreadsheet software
- Database software
- Presentation software
- Internet Browsers
- Email Programs
- Graphic Programs (Pixel-based)
- Graphic Programs (vector-based)
- Communication software: Communication through audio, video or chat-based means
I. Basic Software Application Types
Following are the software application types:
Word Processing Software: Flexible Tool
If the pen is mightier than the sword, the word processor is even better. Word processors create text-based documents. This set of software tools are most flexible and widely used. Word processors are used for creating memos, faxes and letters. Word processors are also used to create reports and personalized pages on the Web.
Top 3 Word Processing Softwares: Microsoft Word, Lotus Word Pro and Corel WordPerfect
Word processors provide numerous features making entering, editing and formatting written documents quick and precise.
Basic Features: Word Processing Software
- Word processors have word wrap, which moves the insertion point to the next line when the current line is complete. This saves time and effort.
- This software also offers editing precision and efficiency. Consider the Thesaurus, which provides synonyms, antonyms and related words for chosen word or phrase. The find and replace feature enables users to scan and replace selected words or phrases.
- There are inbuilt spelling and grammar checkers, which make it easy to locate words with spelling issues or capitalization, sentence structure or punctuation problems.
- The autoCorrect feature can be used to make corrections in thrice of a second. AutoText inserts words or sentences into the document at the exact point one wants.
- AutoComplete even ensures the user does not even have to type the complete word to include it in the document.
- If looks matter, can your word processor be far behind? Numerous features within the word processor can improve the format or appearance of any document in seconds. This includes font appearance, font size, character effects such as bold, italic, colours and shadow, alignment and lists.
- Allowing multiple users to edit the same document using a feature called collaboration is another beneficial feature of word processors.
- Another feature is tracking changes, which lets you identify modifications to others’ original document, whereby their changes and comments are visible.
- Word processing software involves the creation of text-based documents that can be stored, edited and formatted with ease.
- Additional word processing features include WordArt to modify titles, hyphens, columns and text boxes for critical information.
- Most word processing software also generates reports and comes equipped with tools to create figure captions, tables, headers, footers, endnotes and more.
- For web pages, word processors include predefined templates, hypertext links and support for Web pages.
Web-Based Applications: The Miracle of Application Service Providers
Application programs were initially owned by organizations or individuals while users are owning and storing applications now using Web-based apps.
How it Works: USP of ASPs
Special web sites referred to as application service providers or ASPs enable users to access their application programs. Access is generally provided for a nominal fee.
Web applications provide a collection of graphic illustrations, including clip art drawings, diagrams and photos. One can also select items or portions of documents that can be removed from one item to another. From handwriting recognition to spelling checker and task panes, templates, and Wizards for specific tasks and voice recognition, web-based applications provide everything needed to make creating documents an easy process.
Precise, error-free content is possible through spelling and grammar checkers.
The ASP downloads or sends across a copy or part of the application onto the user where it is stored in his or her hard disk drive, ready to be run. Copy remains there for some time until the program is run and exited. There are even fee-free ASPs.
Web-Based Applications: Making IT Work Well
Free general purpose applications can be accessed from any point in the globe. Another added benefit? You can access data files from any location. We based applications include notes, calendars and personal information managers, as well as numerous games. Web-based applications may even outperform traditional application software as time goes by. The only drawback? Well, the privacy and security of personal data stored at the ASP is a concern. So is the rapid rate at which the Web changes. But an advantage is that users no longer need to upgrade software on hard disks with the availability of newer versions.
Spreadsheets: Organizing Digits in the Digital World
- Spreadsheets are used to create documents and perform calculations, for example, Excel, Lotus 1-2-3 and more.
- Spreadsheets were initially only used by accountants; now, they are used by marketing professionals, students, teachers and financial analysts.
- The most common spreadsheet programs used include Lotus 1-2-3, Microsoft Excel and Corel Quattro Pro.
Spreadsheet: IT Figures
- Spreadsheets organize, analyze and chart/graph numerical data such as financial reports and budgets.
- Spreadsheet programs are responsible for manipulating data and creating workbook files comprising one/more related worksheets.
- A worksheet or spreadsheet is a rectangle grid of rows and columns intersecting to create cells.
- Text entries or labels provide a structure to the worksheet through descriptions.
- Numeric entries can be a number or a formula for calculating and processing information; functions are prewritten formulas to perform calculations.
- Spreadsheets involve ranges, text and numeric entries, functions, formulas, charts, calculations and what-if analysis. There are different chart types, including line, pie, column and bar, which form part of the spreadsheet. They also provide other benefits like titles, legends and data labels.
Database: Relational Data
The database is a collection of relational data, which is an electronic equivalent of a filing cabinet.
A DBMS or database management system is a program for setting up or structuring a database. Databases are used in offices, educational settings and organizations of different types. 3 of the most widely used DBMS designed for microcomputers include Corel Paradox, Microsoft Access and Lotus Approach. A relational database is used most widely as a database structure. Every field in the database is assigned a field size and data type. DBMS offers numerous tools to create and use databases such as filter or criteria.
Features include tools for sorting, filtering, creating forms, defining criteria and authoring reports. DBMS is able to bring information stored in separate tables through queries, forms and reports.
The query is a question or request for certain data in the database, while queries are used to view data in different ways to analyze and change existing data. Database forms replicate traditional print forms. DBMS is used chiefly for listing reports such as sales summaries, mailing labels and phone lists.
DBMS is created through a plan where you design the basic structure of the system, and employees can create table structure through the specification of fields, data types, and primary key fields.
Presentation: Pixel Perfect Pictures
Information is presented visually through presentation graphics that combine numerous visual objects for creating interesting and attractive presentations. These tools are also used for communicating persuasive messages.
Slides are used for electronic presentation, and there are layout, normal and slide show views. You can choose colour schemes, slide layouts, special effects, animation, transitions and builds.
Integrated Packages: All in One Program
An integrated package provides the functionality of a word processor, database manager, spreadsheet and much more. The drawback is that the capabilities of each function are not as extensive as individual programs. An integrated package is a single program, and using and switching between functions is quite convenient. The most common integrated packages are Microsoft and Apple Works.
Software Suite: Application Software in a Group
- A software suite is a group of application programs, and the 4 different types are productivity, specialized, utility and personal.
- A software suite is a collection of separate application programs bundled and sold as a group.
Business Matters: Productivity Suite
Productivity or business suites contain professional-grade app programs such as spreadsheet, DBMS, word processors and more. Best known productivity suites are Lotus Smart Suite and Corel WordPerfect Office Suite.
Built for Home: Personal Suite
Personal or home suites contain personal software applications, programs intended for domestic or personal use. Some of the best-known home suites include Microsoft Works Suite.
Specialized Suites: Specific Apps
These suites focus on specific applications, including graphic suites, financial planning suites and much more.
Utility Suite: Making Computing Easier
This suite are designed to make computing safer. It includes the Norton Antivirus System and Norton Internet Security Suite.
Multimedia Software: One of a Kind
Multimedia software allows users to create images, audios and videos. Examples of these include Media Player.
II. Ownership Rights and Delivery Methods: Another Criteria for Distinguishing Application Software
- Commercial Software: This has been installed in numerous computers by software vendors and providers. The only license is to be purchased for using it. Software is generally installed on more than one machine. Demo versions of software may also exist.
- Shareware: This is either free of charge, or a nominal fee is charged. This type of software can be downloaded from online sources Example: MP3 player.
III. The Many Different Wares: Where Application Software is Negative
Just like there are positive softwares, there are also negative forms of the application software used for nefarious purposes. Applications software can carry the following hidden programs or utilities:
- Malware: This stands for malicious software. The most common forms of malware are Trojan horses, worms and viruses.
- Adware and Spyware: Adware and spyware are other common types of software. Adware includes sponsored freeware available when you register. Sometimes, adware tracks internet surfing habits to become intrusive and change into spyware. It then keeps a record of all the sites you have surfed and comes up with ads which it feels are relevant to you. Unlike adware, spyware has a negative connotation.
- Greyware: This is a term used to categories all the software falling between malicious software and other codes, including track-ware and spyware.
- Nagware: This refers to software that comes in the form of pop-ups asking users to register for a product or purchase an app
- Bloatware: Software that has so many different features that it requires considerable disk space and memory resources to run
- Slime ware: This refers to software that interferes with user experience by changing principal settings.
- Abandonware: Software which is no longer sold or supported by publishers.
- Dribble ware: Software that has too many updates and patches.
From numbers to text, this software has a wide scope of application. Action-oriented application software carries out specific tasks intended to make the complex into something very simple. Application software comes in many types, which will go on the increase as technology and users evolve. The different types of application software mirror the massive changes in computer technology and terminology that have come about. With changing technology, application software too has undergone modifications for the better. Application software involves performing virtual tasks to solve problems in the real world.
Here are some articles that will help you to get more detail about the Application Software & Its Types, so just go through the link.