Updated April 17, 2023
Introduction to WAP Architecture
The following article provides an outline for WAP Architecture. Wireless Application Protocol or WAP helps in accessing wireless data through all the communication networks. It is a communication protocol and helps maintain the connection of mobile devices in the network and the internet. A markup language of its own is used called as WML language or Wireless Markup Language, which has the base from XML language. We can extend and scale this, and also WAP is flexible. A proper interface is provided above every layer so that users find it easy to interact with the layers. Most of the mobile networks use WAP.
What is WAP Architecture?
- A set of communication protocols are given so that all the communication made within the device or between devices follows a standardized procedure. This communication method includes any wireless devices, radio devices, emails, messages, and any kind of communication. A protocol helps to manage the clutter of all the messages and make the user to follow the way as all do it. Manufacturers were using different technologies which are connected through a single protocol called WAP now.
- WAP can be created in any operating system, and the working is easy to understand by all the devices. In order to work with mobile devices, WAP provides CSS so that screen sizes can be made into that of mobile size. Page layout and the screen size are controlled by CSS, and hence the developers need not worry about resizing the screens.
- A protocol called datagram is the center of the WAP and helps in the internet models of the systems. Operations of mobile networks and the systems are made independent due to datagram protocol. Wireless gateways are easily accessed in this layer, so that network issues and global networks are managed in the gateways.
- WAP is known for cross-platform technology so that HTML and HTTP are combined in the protocol along with bandwidth devices and pagers in the network. In addition, wireless phones and digital devices are integrated into the system so that they can communicate well without any hindrance in the communication. Also, there are devices that view only those pages allowed in the protocol, maybe plain pages or black and white pages in the system.
- The layers in WAP architecture helps to differentiate the components and to understand the features.
- Wireless Application Environment is the topmost layer in WAP which has different applications in its environment. This layer plays a major role in the communication of devices with web servers of other devices or of the same device. The architecture is simple and is based on WWW architecture.
- Wireless Session Layer helps to maintain healthy relations between the sessions within the devices where communication is held. High performance of the sessions is carried out in this layer, and the session details are stored inside. Client and server communicate through this layer as it provides the session protocol here. The interaction between the communicating systems is properly maintained in this layer, and they are synchronized well.
- Wireless Transport Layer Security helps in the security of the entire WAP protocol. Privacy is provided to the communication carried out between the devices, and data integrity is promised in the layers. Also, authentication is provided only to authorized people, and this helps to prevent malicious attacks to the layers in WAP. Furthermore, the transport of the data is protected, and the bandwidth is made low in some communication to provide authentication of data in the devices.
- Wireless Transport Layer is the last layer in WAP that provides data continuously to the topmost layers and has a proper interface to all the layers in WAP. All the features are taken from other layers, yet they make their working internal to themselves. Therefore, all the applications of this layer can be used in other layers as well.
- Tool testing is provided in WAP with the help of Open Mobile Alliance that is specified for the development and support of all the mobile devices. Since the testing is specific for WAP, there are many internal applications that make the system to its fuller capacity.
Components of WAP Architecture
- Each component belongs to each layer in the architecture, and they are application environment, data transfer, security, session, and transaction support.
- Wireless Application Environment is in the application layer of WAP architecture and has different elements for the interaction of web applications and clients that are done using the browser. The user interface is controlled, and the WML scripts are interpreted here. WML scripts have their own interface to interact with wireless devices which will not have normal keyboards. Also, more functions and capabilities are in the WML script so that users can modify the interactions. Bitmap images and calendar is also supported here.
- Different protocols are used in WAP, and they are session protocol, transaction protocol, transport layer security, and datagram protocol. Session protocol has HTTP and low bandwidth, which helps maintain the sessions with uniform speed. Furthermore, the session can be suspended or resumed with high latency, and this makes the session protocol more useful.
- A common interface to all the transport in WAP is done with the help of the datagram protocol. Different adapters with special features are provided so that the interface works perfectly in all the networks. Different networks are integrated along with the datagram protocol so that it works with the interface.
- The security layer, as the name suggests, provides security and integrity to the system. Authentication and authorization are provided in this layer, and security is promised as privacy to the applications. Any web applications with transport layers are given security from the wireless applications side. Many features are added for the special purpose of the wireless network, which on the other hand, helps the users.
Understanding WAP architecture is easy, and this helps to identify the loopholes in the wireless networks. As a result, issues of the networks can be solved, and the applications can be used to the fullest in the network.
This is a guide to WAP Architecture. Here we discuss the introduction; what is WAP architecture? And components, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –