Updated May 29, 2023
Chittoor is a district in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is a popular tourist destination for its ancient temples, breathtaking waterfalls, hill stations, and wildlife sanctuaries. The famous temples include the Sri Venkateswara Temple at Tirupati, the Sri Padmavathi Ammavari Temple in Tiruchanoor, the Sri Kalyana Venkateswara Temple in Srinivasa Mangapuram, the Sri Kodandarama Swamy Temple in Vontimitta, the Sri Varadaraja Perumal Temple in Narayanavanam, and the Sri Venugopala Swamy Temple in Karvetinagar. Other popular tourist places in Chittoor include the Horsley Hills, Kalavagunta, Kailasakona Waterfalls, Talakona Waterfalls, Puttur, Srikalahasti, and Nagari Hills.
Top Best Tourist Places in Chittoor
The detail of the top tourist places in chittoor, such as when to visit the place and how to go there, is given below:
#1 Sri Venkateswara National Park
Sri Venkateswara National Park is a national park located in Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh, India. The Indian government established the Seshachalam Hills National Park in 1989. Covering an area of 353 km², the park hosts a rich diversity of flora and fauna.
It is the largest national park in the state and is home to some of the rarest species of animals, including tigers, panthers, sloth bears, elephants, sambar deer, barking deer, and wild boars. Some of the common bird species found here are the great Indian bustard, hill mynahs, gray francolins, painted bush quail, and blue-winged parakeets. The reptiles found in the park include monitor lizards, cobras, kraits, rat snakes, and marsh crocodiles. Endemic amphibians such as the Andhra Pradesh tree frog are also found here.
The vegetation of the park mainly consists of dry deciduous forests, moist deciduous forests, scrub jungles, and grasslands.
- Best time to visit: While the National Park remains accessible throughout the year, the optimal time for visiting is between June and March.
- Things to do: The park is an important part of the Eastern Ghats and is well known for its scenic beauty. It is a popular spot for trekking, bird watching, and wildlife photography. The park is also home to a number of temples and is a popular site for pilgrims.
#2 Horsley Hills
Horsley Hills or Horsleykonda, is a small hill station located in the Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh, India. At 4,100 feet above sea level, its pleasant climate attracts visitors for sightseeing, trekking, and other outdoor activities. It is also home to a variety of wildlife, including wild boar, sambar, and nilgai.
The scenic beauty of the hills and its surroundings make it a popular tourist places in Chittoor.
- Best time to visit: The optimal season to visit Horsley-hills is the winter season when the temperature is comfortable and suitable for sightseeing. The recommended months to visit are December, January, February, and March. Winter in Horsley-hills commences in December and lasts until February.
- Things to do: The main attractions of Horsley Hills are the various waterfalls, the ancient temples, and the viewpoint from which visitors can get a panoramic view of the bay of Bengal. There are a number of places for adventure activities such as rappelling, rock climbing, and hiking.
The hills are also known for their medicinal plants, and the area is home to several herbal and ayurvedic treatment centers. A number of resorts are also available in the area, providing comfortable accommodations for visitors. Horsley Hills is a perfect weekend getaway for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life.
#3 Kaundinya Wildlife Sanctuary
Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh, India, is the location of the Kaundinya Wildlife Sanctuary. The Eastern Ghats house this sanctuary, which spans over 190 sq km. It is an important elephant corridor and is home to many species of flora and fauna. It includes endangered species like leopards, tigers, gaur, sloth bear, Indian giant squirrels, mouse deer, four-horned antelope, civets, porcupines, pangolins, etc. Apart from this, the sanctuary is also home to medicinal plants, orchids, and other rare species of flora.
- Best time to visit: The optimal period for visiting the Kaundinya Wildlife Sanctuary is from October to April.
- Things to do: The sanctuary is an ideal spot for trekking, bird watching, and wildlife photography.
#4 Talakona Waterfalls
The southern state houses Chittoor on the banks of the Ponnai River. As one of the largest cities in the Rayalaseema region, it boasts a rich cultural heritage and religious importance. It is also the birthplace of the famous Sri Venkateswara Swamy temple, which attracts pilgrims from all over the world. Chittoor is also home to several educational institutions, including the renowned Sri Venkateswara University. It has a tropical climate, with hot and humid summers and mild winters. The handloom industry and the production of saris, utensils, and handicrafts make the city famous. Rice, cotton, groundnuts, chilies, and tobacco are the major agricultural products grown there.
- Best time to visit: The best Season to Visit Talakona Waterfalls is September to January.
- Things to do: The attraction is widely recognized for its trekking opportunities and boasts several well-established trekking routes that meander through the picturesque natural environment.
#5 Kanipakam Vinayaka Temple
Kanipakam Vinayaka Temple is a famous Hindu temple located in Kanipakam, a small village in the Chittoor district, Andhra Pradesh, India. Lord Ganesha dedicated the temple, which is one of the most crucial pilgrimage sites in South India. The Vijayanagara kings built the current structure in the 16th century, but the temple has existed since the 12th century. Thousands of pilgrims from across the country flock to the temple during its annual chariot festival.
- Best time to visit: During April and May, the temple celebrates its annual Kalyanotsavam festival. Other festivals celebrated in the temple include Maha Shivaratri, Krishna Janmashtami, and Navaratri. The temple is open daily from morning to evening, and there is no entry fee.
- Things to do: To perform prayer, Thousands of pilgrims from across the country flock to the temple during its annual chariot festival.
Chittoor is one of the most popular tourist destinations in South India. It is home to several iconic monuments, temples, and historical sites, as well as picturesque landscapes, lush green hills, and cascading waterfalls. It is also known for its vibrant culture, delicious cuisine, and friendly locals. With its diverse attractions, Chittoor is an ideal destination for visitors of all ages and interests, offering something for everyone.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Tourist Places in Chittoor” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,