Definition of Telegram Features
Telegram is one of the popular known messaging applications. It is a feature packed application providing ample features making communication better and more secure. When it comes to functionality, Telegram is the application providing a full-fledged liability to the user to manipulate the application and use it according to the requirements. Some tricky features are also provided by the Telegram which its rivalry can’t even think of. Apart from the most popular features like editing of already sent messages, sending live and current location, editing images, and videos, etc, it allows the user to customize the interface and experience accordingly.
Features of Telegram
Apart from the simple sending of messages from person to person, Telegram has some amazing and lesser-known features. Let us understand some of them one by one:
- Custom themes: Telegram provides a very interesting feature of adding the theme and applying different colors to the interface of the app according to the user. One can customize the Telegram application to look according to the liking. One can insert the new theme or can use the theme from the Telegram channels by downloading it and applying it. In order to add the new theme, the following steps need to be followed: Settings -> Chat Settings -> Theme and then clicking on the ‘Create New Theme’. Users then need to add the custom name and click on the OK button to finish. Color and background options can also be applied to the chats and message windows.
- Locating nearby users: Telegram bought this special feature of locating the nearby users who have chosen to be discovered. This feature is helpful when the user wants to add someone to their Telegram without the hassle of sharing numbers and saving manually on the phone. It also allows you to see the already created nearby groups and create your own of the nearby users. In order to do that open the hamburger menu -> Contact -> Find people Nearby. To add the people in the new group: open the hamburger menu -> Contact -> Add people Nearby.
- Special folders of chats: One of the useful tricks of the telegram one should know is the ‘Chat Folders’. Users have different groups, some with office colleagues, for meetings and discussions, and some of the personal social groups. Telegram allows the user to create special folders for each chat group in order to differentiate them at different levels. In order to do so, Open the hamburger menu -> Click on Settings -> Folders -> Create New Folder. Give a name to the folder and move the chats in it.
- Editing of images while sending: Many times we sent the wrong picture or the picture without editing. Telegram has a solution to this problem. We can edit the picture even if it is sent by :long press the picture -> click on the Edit button -> choose the desired filters/ crop/ edit image from the inbuilt photo editor. Editing the image in Telegram is similar to the editing of the text already sent to the person.
- Live location: Just like Whatsapp, Telegram also provides the feature of sharing theLive location of the user. This is one of the most commonly used features of Telegram. In order to share the Live location with the particular person, one has to open the chat window and follow the steps: Click on the Attachment button (present at the bottom) -> Location -> Live Location -> Select the tim duration (till when you want to share it). Telegram users are able to share the Live location till 15 min, 1 hr, 8hrs.
- Scheduled messages: As most of us use the Scheduled Emails frequently in our daily lives. Telegram offers the feature of sending Scheduled messages as well. In order to send the Scheduled message following steps needs to be performed: Type the message -> Long press the Send button -> Click on Scheduled message -> Choose the respective date and time. The message will be sent to the respective person at the scheduled date and time.
- Silent messages: Telegram allows the user to send the Silent messages without any sound. These messages are quite helpful when we do not disturb the receiver (either they are studying, attending a meeting, sleeping, etc).In order to send the Silent messages: Type the message -> Long press the Send button -> Choose Send without Sound.
- Turn Secret Chat On: Unlike other messaging applications, Telegram allows the user to keep the chats private. In order to keep the private content which is not being intercepted by anyone (even by the hacker or authorities), Telegram allows the user- to- user encryption (though other chats are user- to -server encrypted) which stores the chats on anonymous servers (not on Telegram servers).In order to start the secret chat with the person click on the person profile/ user information -> scroll down ->Start Secret Chat. There are some restrictions in Secret chat like both the users cannot forward the messages, screenshot facility is disabled, etc.
- Setting Reminders: Telegram allows us to set the Reminders just like Google Calendar and other task management applications. In order to set the Reminder just type the desired task -> long press the Send button -> Choose set a reminder -> Choose the desired date and time. Telegram will send the Reminder notification at the desired date and time. One issue with the Reminder feature of Telegram is that users can send the Reminder only in the Saved Messages.
- Editing of sent messages: It happens a lot with the people of sending the wrong messages or the messages in the incorrect window. Telegram gives the power to the user to edit the text even after it is sent. To do this long press the text -> click on the Edit icon present at the top. There is no time bound restriction of editing the messages. Users can edit the message upto 48 hrs of sending them.
The above description clearly explains what the Telegram application is and the most interesting and lesser known features of it. Unlike other messaging applications like Whatsapp, Messenger, etc which focuses only on better communication, Telegram is far better in terms of the ample hidden and lesser-known features provided to the user. Moreover, it is free to use and more secure with its end-to-end encryption feature.
This is a guide to Telegram Features. Here we also discuss the introduction and features of telegram along with a detailed explanation. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –