Introduction to Software Design
Software design is an imperative procedure and one of the basic steps taken to develop the software in SDLC (Software Design Life Cycle). The software design can be defined as a course of designing modules and transforming the user’s needs into a suitable executable form of application. The software design helps the coder and programmer realize the prototype of the application and development of software codes and implementing them at the user level. The software design allows the movement of attention from the problem towards a solution. Software design is the course of action taken by agents in order to create specification artifacts of steps which intends to fulfill a certain goal satisfying user’s requirements mentioned in SRS utilizing archaic components. It usually gives the impression of being the problem solver and planner.
Objectives of Software Design
In order to evaluate user requirements, we document them by the name of SRS (Software Requirement Specification) and use it further for fostering coding and implementation. Now that the user requirement has been well documented we move ahead towards specific and detailed planning. The next step is software design which promotes direct implementation and coding of the software to be developed.
The objectives of software design are enlisted below:
- To trace various types of software based on the type of usage.
- To depict the elaborate differences among coding and design.
- To define the structured programming concepts and find the loopholes and overcome them by finding solutions.
- To demonstrate basic designing and plan for further improvement.
- To show the reliability, performance, and maintenance.
- To check for testing modules apparently at the beginning.
- To initiate formalities in designing and notations.
- To be able to visualize clearly the future application along with its features, functions, and data and workflows.
- To be able to corroborate the software developed and the design made altogether.
- The designing process should be able to provide stability impart value and hence add credibility to the organization that promises meeting of specified requirements of users.
Functions of Software Design
We now know that software design is the place of the start of all amazing applications. One has ideas and goals which need to be realized in the form of application development. Thus before the beginning of the building the basic architecture needs to be ready on paper for implementation. One should be able to weave the ideas in the head on to the paper. We tend to excited to create software and start coding. Thus, the architecture will provide a smooth development process.
- The first step in software design is to reflect upon the creative procedure to build the software design.
- There is a series of thoughts that need to be gathered end-to-end and goals kept on the front end.
- Then the processing of information takes place. One next proposes a solution to the requirements and then it is sent for the feedback.
- The next step is to refine the design.
These steps are iterated as a cycle and they may occur once or more times unless we arrive at the appropriate design which is finalized. The software designing is though a very creative process but this cycle varies from designers to designers and firms to firms similar to the variations in user requirements yet we may be surprised to find some similarities in the designing process.
Threads of Software Design
Now we shall discuss a few common treads for a software designing procedure as follows:
- To be able to realize the type of the business and the milieu of the software.
- To depict the understanding of the drive to develop the application.
- To focus on the set of goals fixed and end results visualized.
- To be able to create a checklist as well as the feasibility of the required application along with its costs.
- To illustrate the usage and needs of the software in the given budget along with its limitations.
- To experience the user’s point of view and compatibility of the technology experience and preferences of the organization.
- The futuristic development approaches in terms of firm’s repute and collaboration for the scope of improvement and business for profits.
- Using solutions like a whiteboard and real-time chat with users for their needs and requirements.
- Proposing the solution and using visual tools for illustration.
- To be able to receive the feedback on the solution.
- To show collaboration on proposed models with other firms and dealing with profits.
- To be able to come to finalize the solution for the requirements.
- Finalizing the deal and getting the approval for implementation.
- The last phase is documentation wherein one feels like to start the coding of the software.
- The coding starts and finally the software building has been shown green signal by the designing team.
From the above steps, we could see clearly that software designing is a creative process yet it is one of the most difficult tasks as it will decide the future of the final software. This is a collaborative process and thus requires a lot of improvement and feedback at each step.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Software Design
Following are some of the advantages and disadvantages of software design:
- Optimum usage of resources and business processes.
- Novel models and the possibility of invention of new designs.
- It helps to focus and emphasize on profits and business.
- Reliability and credibility of the solution.
- Uniqueness and Adaptability of the software are promised.
- Compatibility and Elite exclusiveness are one of the major advantages.
- Fewer chances of predicting the outcome from the design alone.
- It requires too much time and demands commitment.
- It is also demanding real-time discussions at each step of designing from the developers and clients.
- The project may easily fall off the track due to a lack of documentation.
Software designing is a tedious and complicated step in SDLC which apparently looks simple before we start actually developing the software. There should be clarity of thought in requirements and ideas should be well documented so as to be consistent in performance and clarity. To initiate the development and to be on the right track one must create checklists as well. This leads to wonderful designs.
This is a guide to Software Design. Here we discuss the Objectives and various threads of Software Design along with its working, advantages, and disadvantages. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –