Introduction to Server interview questions and answers
A server is a specialized machine or software which is used to connect multiple clients for a service that may be local or over the internet and we can also say that it may be physical or located on a cloud, the word ‘server’ does not mean it is associated with any machine but it is a role which can be assigned to any computer system.
An interview is communication between the interviewee and the interviewer in which the interviewee can ask questions related to job requirement to find the matching profile and in response interviewer have to answers it direct and to the point.
Part 1 – Server interview questions and answers (Basic)
This first part covers basic Interview Questions and Answers.
1. What is the difference between the client operating system and the server operating system?
The server operating system is a device or a program that responds to the requests of the client by providing services to them and when the client request for services then it provides services to its clients, for example, database server, file server, and web server and client-server is a program or device which require services via the web and it requests the server for content or service function, for example, desktop, laptops, Smartphone, tablets and web browser.
2. What is Active Directory in the server?
In server operating system active directory is a directory service which is developed by Microsoft and it is used to store information of user, computer, printer, and network-related information, it helps to manage a network with multiple domain controllers which provides a unique name to our computer in a different location with active directory, it also can able to manage active directory from any domain controllers and this will be replaced to all other domain controllers is the server which holds the database of the active directory it also authenticates users and computers in a windows domain.
3. What are the roles of a system administrator?
The system administrator having many different types of tasks, the roles of system admin is depended on the organization and the main task of them are installing, supporting, and maintaining the server and computer, and there are many other tasks as following,
- To install the patch and to update the operating system, the patch is a tool or it is a type of update that overcomes the vulnerability from any computer system and it needs to update and install regularly.
- To review the system logs to check whether the system is working properly or not and to check the systems log details, at where the system is accessing, how it accessed, and also to check whether there is an issue on its process, to analyze process which is also a work of system administrator.
- To access administration for the user, it means to check the information of the user, to control the access of users this will be the responsibility of system admin.
- Disaster recovery planning, backup, recovery-related work.
- Creating and restoring the backup, maintaining systems, making a backup, to restore the backup as per the organization, also need to handle by the system admin.
- Also to comply with the requirements of passwords, to provide password security at the client level as well as the server level that is also the work of system admin.
- To check access control whatever going in our network, and system audit logging, these all work is on a server, to audit the server is the main task of the system administrator, the work of system administrator is to audit server to maintain security the system we can say the work of system administrators is to solve the problems between server to the client in a network.
4. What is a domain?
The domain is a service which is provided by an active directory and designed by Microsoft server through this we can deploy the services and we can provide the services in a network, for example, if we search for www.google.com, www.youtube.com, etc., so YouTube is the domain which is working on the active directory which giving us the services, if we can have any query it will answer.
5. What is Schema?
Schema is the logical structure which is created by users and its name and users name is same and it is also a type of information and that can be stored in the Active Directory, the active directory schema is the collection of object class and their attributes, attributes are first name, last name, email, department, and others with rules, policy, regulations in a domain and object class is the user.
Part 2 – Server interview questions and answers (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Interview Questions and Answers.
6. Explain about Hyper-v?
It is a tool that is provided by Microsoft for visualization and it is used for creating multiple virtual machines on a single physical server, it reduces the cost of hardware and improves its efficiency.
7. What is LDAP?
It is a lightweight directory access protocol, and we can say that it is a type of database that stores computers, user’s objects, etc, which helps to add, remove and upload objects of computer in a directory.
8. What is Wsus?
Wsus stands for Windows Server Update Services which is developed by Microsoft, in the Windows environment it manage the distribution of updates and it allows the deployment of the latest updates of Microsoft products.
9. What is Powershell?
It is developed by Microsoft and built on .NET Framework, the PowerShell of Windows is a command-line shell and the purpose of it is to automate the tasks of the administrator which work for both local and remote Windows machines.
In the above article, we have explained some important questions related to the server which may ask in the interview, if you like to learn the concept of it then this article will definitely help you and also seen the definition that it is computers which provide information to the other computer.
This has been a guide to the list of Server interview questions and answers so that the candidate can easily crack down on these interview questions. Here in this post, we have studied top Server interview Questions, which are often asked in interviews. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –