Updated May 25, 2023
About Sanchi Stupa
Sanchi Stupa depicts ancient history and the Mauryan period’s art. It’s beautiful architecture and peaceful environment allow visitors to escape the city’s chaos and grab the visitors’ eye. In 1989, UNESCO defined the Mahastupa as a “World Heritage Site” due to its numerous stupas, Ashokan Pillar, and temple. Mughal Emperors and Emperor Ashoka had a lot of faith in Lord Buddha. Therefore, this originated temple of Lord Buddha was named “Sanchi Stupa” to spread Buddhist philosophy. It is precisely at the hilltop in the state of Madhya Pradesh. It consists of an ideal of Lord Buddha and also his followers.
Adding the places to visit after visiting Stupa Number 1, the sculptures, and the stupa complex will give a detailed understanding of the history of Buddha.
These are as follows:
- Stupa-2 and Stupa-3, that built during the reign of the Sungas.
- An excellently polished sandstone pillar named Ashokan Pillar.
- Four ceremonial gateways or tortas.
- The Great Bowl.
- Pillar 25 matches Heliodors Pillar.
Surprising Facts About Sanchi Stupa
Some of the facts about Sanchi Stupa are not commonly known.
- Sanchi Stupa is known for the adjectives love, trust, peace, and courage; in architecture, the gateways or tornas symbolize these.
- One side of the 200 Rs consists of an image of the great “Sanchi Stupa.”
- There are several Bhrami inscriptions on the Great Stupa, and most of these are details of donations from local donors.
Why Visit Sanchi Stupa?
The paragraph herewith will briefly explain what Sanchi Stupa is and how well the tourists like it. “Sanchi Stupa” is more prominent amongst Buddhists as one can witness many of the temples of Lord Buddha nearby. It is a famous place located in Madhya Pradesh. It will see many tourists from across the globe get a glimpse of the cultural history of India in depth and also view the historical architecture of India. Around 50 architectural structures are presently on the hilltop for travelers.
Visiting this place brings the vibe of sleeping on their grandmother’s lap as it brings many tales from their grandmother since childhood. This place is mainly known for the temple of Lord Buddha; hence this place will give many of the hidden stories of the same. While visiting Mahastupa, a visitor will come across a museum, Buddha Jambudweep. This museum is synonymous with the preaching of Gautam Buddha and Emperor Ashoka on a 17-acre theme park.
The stupa is a bridge between the devotees and Lord Buddha. Lord Buddha was a history of India who contributed to the best of his knowledge and enlightened the four noble facts named “Dharma or Law.”
These are as follows:
- Life is suffering (Suffering=Rebirth)
- The cause of suffering is a desire
- Overcome the desires
- There is no suffering after one overcomes the desire
Along with the hidden story, there are also many attractions that the place is worth witnessing.
These are in detail in the lines that follow:
- Sanchi Archeological Museum is around 700m from Sanchi Stupa.
- Around 1.5 km from Mahastupa, located in the Chetiyagiri Temple of Lord Buddha.
- It is 10 km from Stupa Udaigiri caves and is also the most visited.
Visiting Sanchi stupa, one would come across the teaching of Lord Buddha and will brush up on all his instructions for living a better life today. It is a sacred place to visit and brightens the mind for well-being.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Sanchi Stupa” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,