Introduction to QGIS Version
An open-source application that provides geospatial data for viewing and editing and if needed, analysis of geographic information is called QGIS or Quantum Geographic Information System. QGIS can integrate with other GIS applications and can import different files form any of the GIS sites to provide information to the users in the application. Also, user can install plugins written in Python or C to QGIS so that new features can be added to the application to support various other applications. Many organizations use this application as this is offered for free and we can call QGIS a universal resource manager that provides information to users.
Version of QGIS
A version of QGIS are explained below:
- Gary Sherman is the developer of Quantum GIS which was released in 2007. This was published in the open space Geospatial foundation. Graphical maps can be composed or exported so that users can analyze geospatial data in different dimensions. A raster image is also supported in QGIS where we can draw the data by ourselves and export it into the application. Also, vector images are supported from where we get the information of coordinates. These images can be georeferenced which helps in understanding the entire data. Data can be exported from any external sources such as internet and can be referenced for graphical images in the application. Binary packages to install the application is present in the website that can be used for downloading and installing the same. WMS server to relate to QGIS for the proper functioning of the application. We have different versions for the base applications where the server was connected and used directly.
- In 2009, a new version 1.0 was released. In this version, global transparency was set which is hardcoded. Hence users can find global transparency in this version which is not found in initial version. The coordinate system is present in both versions but a dialogue box to change the coordinates is present near the coordinates itself in 1.0 version. Server search and layers definition is available in both initial and 1.0 versions.
- When version 2.0 was released in 2013, the name was changed to QGIS. Also, we cannot use the same plugins used in version 1 to be used in version 2. The plugins must be compatible with each version or else the application will throw an error while displaying graphical images. We can do interpolation and buffering in version 2 in the improved mode that helps to serve the maps in a better manner. The database is available for QGIS that serves the purpose along with PostGIS.
- QGIS 3.0 version was developed in 2018 and now we have the 3.19 version in the developing stage. We can give different expressions and calculate values from the application directly so that solutions of the problems can be found out from the graph and vector images itself. The codes can be written directly in the console and can be executed. If we need to get images of graphs, we can print them directly from the application by writing codes for the same. If we need to import it outside the application, we can use a print layout that prints the graphs in different modes and can be sent to the system. We should proper values for coordinates so that the system can set the properties to import the graphs for different usages and information.
- Plugins are used widely in the application so that if users enter some values in the same, it can be stored and reused when they use the same coordinates. Some variables should be given to the values stored so that it will be easy to retrieve the same when it is needed. We have global, map layer, or project settings so that if a user needs to save some values specific to the project like background color or coordinate values, it can be saved and reused for the same project. But if some settings are needed globally for the application itself, maybe the location, then the settings need to be global. Map layer settings are different that it is an instance of the map which will not be available for the second time unless stored in the file.
- Different authentication methods are used in the application that helps to secure the data inside the application itself. Hence, when we connect to a database, authentication is required that helps to save the data for specific users and to establish connection in a safe manner. Several plugins or widgets are available inside the application so that whenever developers need the database connection, they can use the same.
- User interface is maintained in QGIS by managing the threads of responsive users inside the application. Task manager is present which controls the running of the application which records the access to the background operation and provide reports for the same. Global task manager can also be used which controls the logs of various users at a time. But it will be more enhanced than personalized task managers.
- Geometry is very important in QGIS as it is used for drawing maps. We have points, lines or polygons that feature for various levels of geometry in the application. Geometry is represented by layers and various features can be extracted from these layers. We can create geometry from an existing geometry or write a code or text. Geometry type should be figured out to analyze and draw the same.
- Documentation and community support for QGIS helps users to solve issues related to the application. Input data is needed to build a graph so that we can convert vector format into a graphical image. We can add more information while creating graphs so that additional data will be available in the graph.
While developing new versions of QGIS, developers make sure that available features are enhanced more and new characteristics are added to make it easy for users. Plugins are also available for different versions as older plugins do not support new versions. The codes used will be the same in any case.
This is a guide to QGIS Version. Here we also discuss the introduction and Version of QGIS along with a detailed explanation. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –