Introduction to Python IDE on Linux
Python is the most popular and general-purpose programming language. There are many Python IDEs on Linux. IDEs are referred to as an integrated development environment; it is an interface between the motherboard’s data path and disk storage, which contains an interpreter, debugger, code editor, and GUI access. It means IDE is software that is used for software development using programs for building automation tools.
So to start writing the Python programs or codes, you need to have some IDE. There are many Python IDEs available on Linux, such as Pycharm, PyDev, Spyder, etc. most of the Python IDEs are with code compilation, debugger, GUI builder, etc.
List of Best Python IDE
There are many Python IDEs on Linux; here we are discussing only the best IDEs:
1. Spyder IDE
Spyder is an open-source, cross-platform IDE. It is usually used for scientific programming, data analytics, etc. It is integrated into a cross-platform known as Anaconda distribution. Its main features are code editing, data analysis and visualization capabilities of scientific packages.
- It is a layout based user interface that provides easy to use and easy to navigate for beginners.
- It provides some built-in scientific libraries like NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, etc. and can be easily extended with plugins.
- It makes use of regular expressions for searching patterns across multiple files, and also it has a functional class browser.
- It has a documentation viewer, variable explorer, a file explorer with an interactive console.
PyCharm is a Python IDE that is a more powerful, highly customizable and pluggable IDE that integrates all the development tools in a single place.
- The main and important features of PyCharm are it has smart coding inspection and code compilation.
- It provides automated code generation with very powerful navigation features.
- It also provides the capability of handling errors and also displaying the errors approximately.
- It also supports web frameworks like Django, web2py and flask frameworks.
3. Wing Python IDE
This is also one of the best Python IDE, which is also highly customizable with a powerful debugger and also has an intelligent editor for Python programming. Wing IDE is one of user-friendly with easier access to Python IDE among many other IDEs. There are three versions of Wing IDE like wing pro for professional use, wing personal for ordinary use and wing 101 for new users or beginners.
- These are source browser; auto-editing and auto compiling are great features of Wing IDE.
- It also has effective remote debugging and efficient code navigation for the new users.
- The main feature is that this IDE executes programs very accurately and faster way.
- It has a higher collection of frameworks like a flask, Django, App engine, etc.
- It works for project management activities with Bazaar, Subversion, Git, etc.
4. PyDev IDE
PyDev is IDE for Python, Jython and IronPython development, PyDev is Python IDE for Eclipse. This IDE is to write and debug the python code in Eclipse, which means it enables the eclipse to be used as Python IDE.
- It is user-friendly and has a customizable interface, which is integrated with Eclipse.
- It also supports code compilation with auto import and Django integration.
- It also provides a hint while typing the code, and it also provides code analysis along with compilation.
- It has the main feature that works for unit test integration, remote debugger; it also has an interactive console and token browser in the system.
IDLE is one of the most used Python IDE for Linux systems because it is one of the best Python editors for Python Programming language, especially for beginners.
- It is very easy to use and has a user-friendly console.
- It has a smart indentation, an auto compilation with a multi-window text editor, an integrated debugger and many more.
- It provides different colors for coding python program with syntax, errors, code input and output, and indentations.
- It supports for building GUIs using its most popular libraries like Tkinter and Twidgets sets.
Eric is also a Python editor and IDE, which open-source, cross-platform. Eric is simple and has a high customizable GUI that supports plug-ins and can have many extensions.
- This IDE also includes code compilation, error notifications, integrated debugger; It also provides some advanced searching techniques; it also gives a hint while coding with proper syntax.
- The integrated source code document is unique for Eric than any other IDE.
- This IDE also supports web browsers and class browsers which cannot be found in many other IDEs.
- It provides features like source code tips and source code folding.
It is also Python IDE, a simple IDE compared to other IDE, specially designed for beginners who want to learn Python.
- It is very easy to use, which includes steps for program structure.
- It offers statement stepping without breakpoints and also provides different windows for applying function calls.
- It provides separating local variables and representation of function for the new window opening.
Python programming language has many integrated development environments (IDEs), which is very important before writing the code. Basically, IDE is for editing the code, compiling, error handling and debugging. Python has many best IDEs, like discussed above; there are also other IDEs like PyZo, PyScripter, KDevelop, VS code, etc. and many more. Usually, IDEs are for editing or writing Python programs that are easy to use and even highlight errors that occurred while coding. Among these IDEs most widely used IDE and the best one is Spyder and IDLE Python IDE.
This is a guide to Python IDE on Linux. Here we discuss some of the Best Python IDE on Linux used for various integrations like editing the code, compiling, error handling, and debugging. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –