Difference Between Photoshop vs Sketch
Photoshop is probably the first software that pops into your mind when it comes to designing/web wireframes and editing pictures and graphics. Why not it be, it was almost the first software used for this purpose globally on a professional scale. But just as the horizon of software being used is expanding rapidly, there are quite a few other tools that have entered into the market.
You might have heard a lot of designers raving about this new tool called Sketch, which according to most of them is more or less designed to function same as the Photoshop. Well, let us dive a litter deeper and explore the difference between Adobe Photoshop vs Sketch.
Photoshop – Photoshop is a software developed by Adobe, who has been ruling the arena for years when it comes to designing and imaging app. It is, in fact, the world’s leading platform for image and design manipulation. But of course, it is not the only one.
Sketch – It may be difficult to believe, but it is true, Adobe has got a tough competitor in the market. The sketch is not a product of Adobe but was instead designed by Bohemian Coding. This platform is majorly used for vector editing and creating wireframes.
Head to Head Comparison between Photoshop vs Sketch (Infographics)
Below is the top 7 difference between Photoshop vs Sketch :
Key Differences between Photoshop vs Sketch
The functionality of Photoshop vs Sketch software may seem to be the same. But when compared they have quite a few noticeable differences between them, that can make them stand apart from each other. The key differences between Photoshop vs Sketch are:
- One of the main differences between Photoshop vs Sketch is its production. Photoshop is a product of Adobe, while Sketch was designed and created by Bohemian Coding.
- Another major difference is its compatibility. While Photoshop is compatible in almost all popular OS like Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS etc. A sketch is compatible only with Mac and cannot be used on windows.
- Photoshop is a widely used software by almost all the designers and has the advantage of multiple functioning. It is a software used for, imaging, designing, wireframes, GIF’s etc. While Sketch is only mainly used for UI designing, majorly for creating wireframes.
- Photoshop has a number of inbuilt plugins and actions, while, only downloading plugins can extend the functionality of Sketch.
- The interface of Photoshop is extensive and has a number of tools and functions. Whereas, Sketch is more or less a mixer of Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Photoshop has lots of brushes and tools available to edit Bitmap. But on the, on the other hand, Sketch is not a bitmap editor. If you are looking to draw and edit with paint or do photo correction, it is not possible on Sketch.
- While Photoshop can do a lot of things like UI mockups, photo editing, image retouching, creating Gifs and a lot more. Sketch mainly focuses only on website, interface and icon designing.
- Photoshop does not have very good quality for web-style rendering. But in Sketch, the tools and values are easily translated to CSS and browsers.
- In Photoshop, designers need to create the grids, while Sketch offers inbuilt grids.
- Photoshop has limited options for artboards, but Sketch has multiple presets and templates for artboards.
- In Photoshop all the files of a project cannot be created on one artboard, you have to create different files. While Sketch has this facility of saving all pages in one artboard only within one document.
- Photoshop has inbuilt library while Sketch has none.
- The color management of Photoshop is much preferred and far better compared to that of Sketch.
Now that we briefly know the key differences between Photoshop vs Sketch, let us dive in a little deeper to get more understanding of which software is a better choice for the designers. Photoshop is no doubt still the choice of many designers, but with the launch of Sketch, there has been a rustle amongst the designers, over which one of them is better and more use full.
Photoshop vs Sketch Comparison Table
Below is the top 7 comparisons between Photoshop vs Sketch:
|The basis of comparison between Photoshop and Sketch||
Popular Course in this category
Maya Course 16 Online Courses | 98+ Hours | Verifiable Certificate of Completion | Lifetime Access
4.7 (329 ratings)
Related CoursesPhotoshop CourseUnreal Engine Course
|Definition||It is a desktop app used by designers for editing images and graphics.||It is a software used mainly by UX/UI designers to create wireframes.|
|Compatibility||Photoshop is a software designed by Adobe, which is compatible both for desktops and Mac.||The software is created by Bohemian Coding and is compatible only for Mac users.
|Interface||Photoshop’s interface has more functions and options.||Whereas, the interface of the sketch is more or lea a mix and match of Photoshop and Illustrator.|
|User Experience||Photoshop can be difficult to use for them who are new to it.||A sketch is not as complicated as Photoshop, someone new to it can also get used to it quickly.|
|Features||Compared to Sketch, Photoshop has more designing and editing features.||Sketch has less designing features and is mainly a software for Ux/UI designing.|
|Functioning||All the images or graphics are not necessarily vectored in Photoshop.||While in Sketch, everything is vector by default. You need not to worry about rescaling the artboard every time.|
|Plugins||Lots of plugins and actions are already available in Photoshop.||While in Sketch, the functionality can be extended only by plugins.|
Conclusion – Photoshop vs Sketch
It can be said that both ( Photoshop vs Sketch ) software has their own pros and cons. It depends on the user and the type of work being expected from the tools. While Sketch is best for UI designers to create wireframes, Photoshop, however, is more of a photo editor and designer tool, it may not be a very good choice for Ux/UI designing. Though most of the designers do prefer Photoshop for wireframe designing as well. Photoshop is a little more complicated than Sketch, but it can do all the work that Sketch does. On the other hand, Sketch is easier to learn but is used for limited things only. Also, it cannot do all the things that Photoshop does. So ultimately, both ( Photoshop vs Sketch ) have their arena of functioning, Sketch can be best used for UX/UI wireframe designing, while Photoshop can be best used for editing and designing images, graphics GIFs etc.
This has been a guide to the top difference between Photoshop vs Sketch. Here we also discuss the Photoshop vs Sketch key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more.