Difference Between OpenShift vs Kubernetes
The following article provides an outline for OpenShift vs Kubernetes. The containerization software to be used in Docker containers and to be orchestrated in some platform such as Kubernetes is called OpenShift. It is developed by RedHat in 2011 and is written in Go and AngularJS language. It operates only in Linux systems if made to be worked without virtual machine. The container orchestration system that is open source for managing the application and deployment is called Kubernetes. It is written in Go language and was released in 2014. Kubernetes is developed by Google. It is used for automating the manual processes.
Head to Head Comparison Between OpenShift vs Kubernetes (Infographics)
Below are the top 10 differences between OpenShift and Kubernetes:
Key Difference Between OpenShift vs Kubernetes
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between OpenShift and Kubernetes:
- OpenShift is used in deployment of applications and continuous management of the same. Many tools are added to the Kubernetes platform via OpenShift to help in continuous development of applications. This also helps in scaling the applications for the users needs. Kubernetes is basically used for automating the deployment of applications and to scale the containerized applications in the system so that the applications work faster.
- OpenShift is a product and Kubernetes is a project. Support is given to the users who install OpenShift in application deployment and maintenance. Users can also select the features for the product. Kubernetes is a framework with different products, a complete project and the entire platform to work on. Community in Kubernetes solves the users’ problems.
- Flexibility is very much offered in Kubernetes due to the templates and is far better than OpenShift. In Kubernetes Helm chart is used for high flexibility. Templates are used in OpenShift so that flexibility is less.
- OpenShift is more secure than Kubernetes. Container images or other official images cannot be run on OpenShift. Simple applications cannot be run on OpenShift due to the security issues. Minimum security level is only needed in Kubernetes. Simple apps, though could be run on Kubernetes, cannot be done so due to OpenShift.
- Authorization is done in both the applications in different manner though Role Based Access Control is carried out in both the applications. Authorization is done in container specifications at Kubernetes. OpenShift’s authorization is done through separate security context constraint. This makes OpenShift to be more secure than that of Kubernetes.
- OpenShift uses deployment configuration to deploy the projects or applications run in the system. Configuration has to be set up and the installation has to be proper to carry out the configuration management in the system. In Kubernetes, configuration is done through deployment objects and it is installed with the help of controllers. This can also be used to update the pods in the system.
- Deployment configuration can never be installed through controllers and the effectiveness of OpenShift configuration is more when compared with Kubernetes. Configuration is set up through dedicated pods that is managed well and customers prefer the same for the easy management.
- External access is provided to OpenShift through routers. Router has very less features than Ingress. Ingress is used in Kubernetes that has many servers and is more flexible to the use of the same. Also, different enhancement can be done in Kubernetes. Router performs well than Ingress.
OpenShift vs Kubernetes Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between OpenShift and Kubernetes:
|In order to manage the container images, this uses ImageStreams so that tags of the images can be changed easily. This also makes the users to upload the images and tags easily.||There are no special privileges in Kubernetes to upload the images and hence the management of container images is poor when compared with OpenShift.|
|External tools are not needed and the application provides clusters to the users for easy logging and checking the images.||External tools are needed by the users to login and use the containers which make the application less user friendly.|
|Changing from projects to namespace or vice versa is done easily. Less commands are used to upload the images in different environments.||Changing from projects to namespace or vice versa is not easy. More commands are needed to upload the images in different environments.|
|Jenkins is integrated with the application for CI/CD application and this synchronization makes the user to work with the software faster.||Jenkins is not integrated with Kubernetes and users take time to synchronize and upload images in the system.|
|Plugins are revealed in the application for networking and this makes the system more trustworthy for the networking problems.||Kubernetes deals with networking with the help of plugins which is not revealed to the users. This makes the user to find the faults if happened in the application.|
|Service catalog with service brokers are provided so that users are comfortable with clusters and managed services. This is better for the users than Kubernetes.||Service catalog is not provided easily and needs separate installation in the system. And also, less provisions are provided for clusters than services.|
|The subscription must be renewed in between and as the cluster grows, money to be paid will be more. This makes the application costly.||There is no subscription for Kubernetes and it works on the distribution and the community support of many users. This can be self-supported without OpenShift.|
|Many built-in features are provided in the application and users find it easy to work with the application in the system.||User has to install many features and this makes the system to deal with networking and images. Users find it complex than OpenShift.|
|Only RedHat enterprise Linux to be used to install OpenShift. CentOS can also be used for the installation.||Any Linux distribution can be used to install Kubernetes and it does not create any problem to the application.|
|OpenShift can be used in cloud with its new release and its updated flexibility.||Kubernetes can be easily installed in many platforms and is more standard than OpenShift application.|
There are many common patterns in both the applications and the proper working of both is needed for the successful project. Integration and working are better in OpenShift but Kubernetes provides the platform for the application. OpenShift is more demanding by the users due to these aspects.
This is a guide to OpenShift vs Kubernetes. Here we discuss the OpenShift vs Kubernetes key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –