Introduction to Node.js Alternatives
- Open source
- Run time environment
- Used to create server-side and Networking applications
- OS – Windows, Linux, and X
- License – MIT license
Who uses Node.js: A long list of companies is there, eBay, general electric, GoDaddy, Microsoft, PayPal, Uber, Yammer, and Yahoo
Where to use Node.js: For I/O specific applications, data streaming application, DIRT, JSON API’s based and Single page applications
List of Node.js Alternatives
There are several other and fine Node.js Alternatives available in the market which are as follows
Imagine you have a product which works great over browsers, but now you want to go over mobiles. In doing so you will choose Rest API (in this case choosing ERLANG will not make any sense). Using Java or Node.js you can implement scalable solution easily.
When do we need ERLANG?
So, you already have a mobile application, now you want to implement messaging services or make it more severe you want to make a messaging service in real time. This real-time means fast data processing. In this case, ERLANG is definitely very hard to beat. Erlang has shorter codes structure which makes the scaling system easier with fast execution. With Erlang debugging of the production, the suite is easy.
what is ERLANG and how ELIXIR is related to it?
Elixir is a dynamic and functional language used to build the scalable application, and in doing this Erlang (which is the Virtual Machine of Elixir) helps it.
- Elixir is an Open Source
- Compatible to Mac, Windows, Linux
Features of Elixir:
- Scalability: The code user in Elixir are both vertical and horizontally scalable, which means it allows thousands of process to run at same time (i.e. vertical scaling) and even on different machines within the same network (i.e. horizontal scaling). This behavior helps in the number of ways with efficient resource management to a solid foundation.
- Functional Programming: Always an edge for Elixir as it enables its users with short, fast and easy maintenance coding.
It’s a high level, general-purpose programming language. It has a great development toolset with an ever increasing user base. Perl has a connection to other programming languages as it has multiple work segments. It resembles C, Shell scripting, AWK, and SED. With these similar features, Perl provides its user with a powerful text processing facility.
Features of Perl:
- Easily expendable with more than 25,000 open source modules which are available globally and via CPAN.
- Text Manipulation makes it relevant to work with HTML, XML and several other mark-ups language.
- Open Source – an open source with GPL license
- It has a C/C++ interface and database integration.
In the market, there are several applications that are building using Perl namely Matrix, Gitweb, AWStats and Cucumber.
- Perl is an Open source
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux OS
Either it is web-based applications, complex API’s, real-time development or even Microservices. ASP.NET is a once such complete package. This makes it one of the top qualifying contender and an alternative to Node.js.
- It’s an Open source
- Server Side web applications framework
Features of ASP.NET:
- API for the creation of REST-ful web services that use JSON, XML to support the contents.
- A great tool for value providers with the use of filters. These filters are Cookies, Control value, Session details, and Querystring.
It’s a general purpose PL which has a similar syntax to C# and Java. Few key highlights that define Ceylon are it being an imperative, statically typed, blocked structure and object-oriented in behavior.
Features of CEYLON:
- Statistically typed means a complete and extensive type of checking by its compiler, this happens with the annotations structure build in the code.
- High order means that every attributes, operation and every single type used is a value.
- With block, structure means it has lexical scoping and recursive syntax for deceleration and statements.
- Ceylon is also open source
Rebol is a cross-platform language developed for effective data exchange with the multi-paradigm approach. With Network communication being the prime purpose behind its functionality it is also suitable for small, optimized domain – the specific language for coding data.
Features of REBOL:
- File sharing, Synchronization and archival – Easy to share files to keep users synchronized and files are automatically achieved to call the earlier version of coding if needed instantly.
- Highly secure platform – Powerful language capabilities give a secure platform for creation, data exchange, data storage retrieval, and client/server administrative tasks.
- Offline access
- Private group networking capabilities make Rebol free form junk work emails.
- Easy to install and use
- It’s a free source
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux
Hope this brings some clarity to our readers regarding the Alternative option of Node.js available and also an understanding of when to choose a particular over others. As we are aware of the fact that there are several functionalities built in any specific language, but we in this article covered the Alternatives of Node.js with compatibility to Operating System (, OS, Windows, and Linux in most cases).
This has been a guide on Node.js Alternatives. Here we have discuss the Basic concept of Node.js and alternatives with their important Features. You may also look at the following article to learn more :