Introduction to Network Discovery Tools
Network Discovery tool helps to know the coverage of the network in the area where you are focused. IP nodes and SNMP nodes availability and details are shown with the help of these tools. It also helps in the maintenance, creation and security of the network. Computers and networks are made to find each other so that devices can connect and communicate with other devices in the same network. Network discovery tools can make the device’s settings of network availability either on or off position. The network is scanned so that all the available networks are found easily within the coverage area.
Importance of Network Discovery Tools
- Network discovery tools help to discover various devices associated with the same network. It can either find the devices at a single scan or we can schedule the tool to scan at a particular time to find the devices in the network. IP addresses or IP range has to be provided to the tool to find the devices.
- Network visualization is made easy with the help of network topology in the tool. This helps the user to know the way the network works and make necessary changes and arrangements if needed. Device performance can also be seen with the help of visualization in the network. The availability of the devices and proper monitoring can also be done with the help of network discovery tools.
- Dashboards display the performance of the devices within the same network and the internet they use for various applications. The charts and dashboards can be customized for the purpose of the user so that network usage and availability is known easily. Whenever the users are in need to access any applications, they can check the dashboard and the network range for the applications.
- Downtime of the applications can be prevented by making the availability known and providing business service delivery to the system. This helps in solving problems related to the network faster and at a slower rate than ever. The detection tool by making known of the downtime, helps the users to plan the services accordingly and provide solutions for the problems that are encountered often.
- Network discovery tools make necessary predictions and make sure that the devices are provided with the network as and when needed. Internal activities of the network are assessed and this makes the system to work with the available network. Also, if the devices are trying to assess the network without any permission, they are denied of the service as a network discovery tool does not allow such devices.
- The activities of the network discovery tool follow certain norms and regulations and they are done within the guidelines. No device can hack the tool and make the network available for their use. This makes the network discovery tools to be the best to control the devices in the network.
Top Network Discovery Tools
Below are the different Network Discovery Tool:
It helps in mapping the network and provides the performance of the network within the range. The network is discovered and mapped to devices available. A customized map is created with all the physical and virtual IP addresses that update automatically for the network performance data. This helps the users to know the devices along with their IP addresses. Different versions are available for different operating devices and the fees charged depends on the devices used or a flat fee for any number of devices can be paid.
2. Advanced IP Scanner
The tool is freely available and it does the network mapping with the help of IP addresses in the network range. All the devices in the network is scanned and identified and also either shuts down or wakes up the computers in the remote locations. The functionality is limited to scanning the network devices and using computers available in remote locations.
3. PRTG Network Monitor
This tool tracks the devices available in the network and also monitors the services available in the cloud. Also, the performance, database capacity, and network uptime are also monitored with the help of Network Monitor. Also, it can be used as network discovery and mapping can be done with the help of this tool. A manual process is involved in the tool and this is the creation of maps after which the tool updates network information for each device connected in the network. The connection data and performance of each device is also shown along with the status of each device. The tool is offered with a price more than any other tool of the same features.
4. Nagios XI
Network data is monitored so that everything runs smoothly whenever needed by the users. The interface is user friendly and the dashboard shows all the network behavior and graphs with all the incidents and general networks. The graphs should be assigned with proper resources so that network overloads can be avoided. The network traffic can be rerouted if there are any potential problems in the network. The tool can be customized easily for ease of use. The layout or any themes can be changed easily with the help of customization. A free trial is available so that the users will get to know the tool well before purchasing it.
5. SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor
This is one of the best tools used for network monitoring that scans the network and the network topology is shown with the help of a visual mapping tool. The pathways in the tool shows the destination from the network to the destination services so that any issues can be seen easily which helps to troubleshoot the problems easily. IP addresses and ports can be discovered easily and this information can be used for security and alerts for the devices within the network. A centralized network management tool is used in this tool.
It is important to know which tool suits the business needs and for that purpose free trials can be tried so that suitable tools can be selected. Also, there are many free network monitoring tools to satisfy short needs.
This is a guide to Network Discovery Tools. Here we discuss the Introduction and the top Network Discovery Tools like Intermapper, Advanced IP Scanner, etc. in brief along with its importance. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –
- List of SOA Alternatives
- Google Cloud Platform
- Alternatives in Industry
- List of Alternatives to Asana