Difference Between Narrowband vs Broadband
The following article provides an outline for Narrowband vs Broadband. Narrowband and Broadband are used in telecommunication as tools for setting a band of frequencies and to do the communication in the spectrum. In Narrowband a narrow set of frequencies are considered and communication happens only in those frequencies. Less number of frequency sets are used as it is designed to work only with less frequencies. Broadband covers a wide bandwidth and uses different signals and frequencies in its spectrum. Also, broadband is used in internet services and it provides high speed access of internet in the system. Data transmission channels are provided in different channels that can be accessed by different users.
Head to Head Comparison Between Narrowband vs Broadband (Infographics)
Below are the top 8 differences between Narrowband vs Broadband:
Key Difference Between Narrowband vs Broadband
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between Narrowband vs Broadband:
- Narrowband does not cover a wide range of frequency and hence the disturbance in narrowband will be more. The filters, that of high performing status has to be applied and made to work in narrowband. We will not face any of these issues in broadband. It covers a wide range of frequencies and hence the disturbance will be less. Filters need not be applied in the broadband and they work well with least noise and more signals in the selected frequency.
- There is also a negative side in the above point. The circuit is complex in broadband when compared with narrowband. Due to this complex scenario, the efficiency and performance is affected. Because, it takes time to design a band of complex circuit. This results in less yield. Hence the amplifier used in broadband takes more time to draw current and this results in low performance. And this is an advantage in narrowband. Narrowband circuit is less complex and hence the yield is not affected. The performance and efficiency are good. Often, broadband requires more amplifier stages to meet with the efficiency of narrowband.
- The power consumption required by narrowband is less when compared with broadband. So, if we require a band to be used in a remote system, it is better to use narrowband. This is due to the fact that broadband costs more as more cells are needed in the system. Remote systems care more about the cost and reliability and the power used. Thus, broadband stands low in all these cases. Narrowband is a better option for all the systems where these three factors are a concern. Broadband are preferred for access points and hub locations.
- Narrowband has more channels in the selected area of the communication and thus many applications prefer narrowband. This has more access and reliability in the selected area. Thus, military applications, sensors, alarming systems work well with narrowband. It has good range as well. Broadband are selected when large number of channels have to be covered in wide range of the spectrum. If the data is more in the used application, it is better to use broadband.
- Coding required is more in broadband as it has to cover a wide range of spectrum and the frequency used is more. The channels covered will be considered in the coding part. The speed and the efficiency with which it works can be handled with proper coding. This also adds to the data in the communication system. Less coding in narrowband makes it more preferable for communication aspects. This becomes an added advantage in the data handled by the application.
Narrowband vs Broadband Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Narrowband vs Broadband:
|Heavy data applications cannot be used in this band as the range is less and the load cannot be survived within the spectrum in the small area of its application.||Heavy data applications can be used easily and hence it is preferred in criminal surveillance applications and for public safety measures.|
|As there are filters applied in the spectrum, the isolation between the channels are more and this makes the communication more secure. The filters can be selected to apply and this plays a major role in isolation.||Channels cannot offer isolation as there are no filters applied and hence security of individual channels is a problem. Also, noise signals can be found more in this band.|
|Oscillator technologies are used to improve the accuracy in frequency in narrowband.||Frequency accuracy is not a problem in this spectrum as they are accurate for the specifics applied and works well.|
|The infrastructure is good for the spectrum and it is available always whenever needed. It stands good when compared with broadband.||The infrastructure is improving and cannot be compared with narrowband. It is improving with LTE and cellular technology and the configuration has to be done properly before setting the spectrum in the communication frequency.|
|The coverage is less and it cannot be improved more. Narrowband is designed to work with short bandwidth in the spectrum.||The coverage of the band is more as it covers more bandwidth. It can be increased if the goal is to improve the signal integrity.|
|The range covered is long in the communication system.||The range covered is less and if we increase the range, efficiency is decreased and the spectrum covered is less.|
|The use of internet in narrowband is not a good idea as the speed will be less and it will not work properly when compared with broadband.||Internet can be used more efficiently with broadband and it is faster for downloads and browsing.|
|Narrowband penetrates into the environment more and catches all the signals in the selected frequency. Thus, an entire picture of the frequency in which narrowband is working can be known.||Broadband does not penetrate into the environment much and thus other signals are always avoided in the frequency of the communication system.|
Narrowband is an older one and is not preferred for data communications. But due to the advancement of technology, narrowband has developed well and can be used in many applications with less cost and high efficiency. The spectrograms can be created well than broadband. Some applications are common for both and it is good to select these based on the usage.
This is a guide to Narrowband vs Broadband. Here we discuss the Narrowband vs Broadband key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –