Introduction to MySQL Formatter
MySQL Formatter is a computer program that is dedicated to format any MySQL query commands with the required indentation level even when the query statement is invalid. We can say that this formatter beautifies our query structure by re-organizing them and allowing the user to query statements properly in a server database. Thus, this MySQL beautifier is significant especially for the MySQL SELECT statements but this tool is capable to handle INSERT, DELETE & UPDATE query statements. This was constructed to be undecided of the database which is embattled and need to upkeep MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and other ANSI SQL databases.
How Formatter works in MySQL?
- MySQL Formatter can be said as prodigious free accessible tool for MySQL code formatting that does automatic refactoring the query code and many others functionality and services for making things easier.
- This formatter or organizer tool is an essential in order to make the query follow all the important standard rules and syntax code to build up an error free and valid MySQL program.
- Using the MySQL Formatter, a user can update the case of the MySQL keywords as well as identifiers used in the MySQL queries to either upper or lower case or to keep it as they are.
- It works to minimize a programmer’s time on typing the query in the editor tools providing auto completion option.
- MySQL GUI tool offers intelligent service with MySQL prompt option to customize and organize the syntax highlighting as well as check and also other abilities to permit you for writing and checking MySQL query codes more excellently and naturally.
- The code completion has many features that are essential for MySQL formatting such as list members, phrase completion, word completion, parameter data for stored functions, fast info about schematic objects. So that you need to type fewer and more code can be written.
- Code snippets are available to help save the time in the suggestion list along with keywords and table names also, which is based on the symbol typed by you.
- MySQL formatter is an effort to keep your code clear and clean like with CRUD generator you can produce code scripts for any operations INSERT, SELECT, UPDATE or DELETE.
- Also, a user can get an error free code and correct options to write valid code before execution. With Automatic syntax check feature, while writing the code if found any errors then, it will be highlighted there itself.
- A user can get access to navigate the definitions of schematic objects or variables.
- Once the formatting is done you can either download the file or link can be shared. Thus, you can make your MySQL code simplified, optimized and facilitated.
Rules for MySQL Formatter
Let us see some of the guidance to allow MySQL naming agreements with capitalization while conducting MySQL Formatting on any tool. There are many formatting options which helps to accomplish capitalization steadiness.
The following rules are described for clean formatting of query and valid code achievement:
1. Naming Rules for Database Identifier
Object names in database are identified as identifiers and are built when a database object id well-defined. Suppose, the succeeding MySQL statement will create a database table with the identifier as TableA and also a table column having identifier as ColumnKey.
CREATE TABLE TableA (ColumnKey INT PRIMARY KEY)
Various developers prefer to use names as singular while naming a database table such as Employee, Product, Student, Person, etc. This is applied as a standard in many guidelines and even in Adventure Works Databases. This suggestion is provided to avoid any errors caused because of plural names in the development process of database. Yet, when a user chooses naming convention as standard ISO 11179 then, plural can be used for example Employees, Persons, Products or students as above. Also, the stored procedures names should obey the identifiers guidelines.
2. Capitalization Rules for Database Identifiers
There are many guidelines for this capitalization rules. For illustration, Adventure Works database implements PascalCase for database tables and related columns such as BusinessEntity, AddressType, etc. here, this PascalCase permits the upper case letter to be marked as the initial letter of a new name or word. It reduces the need to use underscore character for any new name or word. Similarly, there may be few guidelines that advise to apply only capitalize schematic object names along with using lower case for the table column names like payment_id, employee_name, etc.
3. Naming Rules for Variables
Additionally, along with the universal naming standards, the variable names should start with the symbol, @. But we should not apply @@, symbols to prefix a variable. Because this can hamper the performance as this prefix to a variable is implemented as a SQL Server system global variable.
4. Capitalization Rules for Variables
Few rules of capitalization standards advise that the variables must be typed in CamelCase, such as @person, @city, @ProductId.
5. Capitalization Rules for Keywords
You can find two different types of keywords in MySQL or SQL, where Reserved keywords are fragment of T-SQL grammar applied by SQL Server and other one is Non-Reserved keywords are defined as metadata names in the respective environment but not applied in reality. Here, all the guidelines of capitalization advise to use uppercase letters like PERCENT, ADD, EXCEPT.
Example of MySQL Formatter
You can beautify your MySQL code queries using MySQL formatter such as ApexSQL Refactor SQL formatter which is freely available tool that can be integrated into SQL Server Management Studio and also visual studio. You need to create your formatting profiles to proceed which offers different options to use the rules while writing the scripts and is useful to generate an effective and time saving code process and code enhancer type option.
Others Like: Code Beautify SQL Formatter, SQL Format, Freeformatter.com, Instant SQL Formatter, etc.
Another Formatter tool for MySQL can be dbForge Studio for MySQL which has auto code completion feature and many other capabilities to enhance the beautifying of the queries written in MySQL. It provides you code snippets, code profiles, CRUD generators, syntax checker, and schema objects to provide an effort less, error free, structured and clean code to be implemented and executed for the desired operation in the MySQL server.
When we write any MySQL query it is necessary that it should be properly valid without avoiding the rules and syntaxes so, different MySQL formatters are available to provide a sensible and correct statement. This process requires the MySQL formatting technique to produce well defined and structured queries for the developers or programmers.
This is a guide to MySQL Formatter. Here we discuss the introduction, how formatter works in MySQL? rules and example respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –