Introduction to MVC Interview Questions and Answers
MVC is an architecture that separates an application from the three components of a model, controller, and view. This model helps in reviewing the data and business logic. It is used to maintain the data of an application. The model object is used when objects are to be retrieved and stored in a database. The view does the work of acting as a user interface. It displays the data using model and ensures that the user is able to modify data. The controller handles all user requests. All three coordinate with each other and help in creating all web applications. Let us have a look at questions that can be asked in an interview on MVC.
Now, if you are looking for a job which is related to MVC then you need to prepare for the 2020 MVC Interview Questions. It is true that every interview is different as per the different job profiles. Here, we have prepared the important MVC Interview Questions and Answers which will help you get success in your interview.
In this 2020 article, we shall present 10 most important and frequently asked MVC Interview Questions. These questions are divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – MVC Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic MVC Interview Questions and Answers
Q1. What is MVC Life Cycle? Explain in detail?
Any application which is being created has two steps. These can be done by requesting and sending out proper responses to the different types of requests. There are two types of phases which include creating the request object and post that sending the response to the browser. This entire process takes place majorly in four steps:
- Fill route: The requests that come to MVC are mapped to route tables which go ahead to the controller and in the end, the action is invoked. Whenever the requests come to the first request which comes needs to be filled in the route table with the routes collection. This filling happens in the global.asax file.
- Fetch route: Whichever URL is sent to URL Routing Module the route table is instructed to search the route to create RouteData object which consists of details of all controllers and which controller is to be called and which respective action is to be called.
- Request Context created: Once the RouteData object is created it is further used for the creation of a RequestContext object.
- Controller instance created: The request object once created is further sent to MVC Handler which can be used to create the controller class instance. This controller class instance that is created can be further used to create and call ‘Execute’ method of the controller class.
- Creation of Response Object: In this part, the execution happens in two parts where the action is taking place and the response is sent as a result to the view.
Q2. Explain the difference between MVC and three-layered architecture?
This is the basic MVC Interview Questions asked in an interview. MVC can be said to be an advanced version of three-layered architecture. The differences between them are as follows:
- Look and feel: Three-layered architecture has a user interface and model view controller has a view.
- UI Logic: For this as well, three-layered architecture has a user interface and the MVC architecture has a controller.
- Business logic and validations: Three-layered architecture has a middle layer and MVC has the model for these validations.
- Accessing data: There is a data access layer in three-tier architecture and MVC has the data access layer.
Q3. Name the different types of controller action methods?
Below is the return types of controller actions:
- View Result
- Redirect Result
- Json Result
- Content Result
Q4. Explain the function of “beforFilter()”,”beforeRender” and “afterFilter” in Controller?
- beforeFilter(): This function is supposed to run before any function runs in the controller. A user can easily check for active sessions or check the user for the permissions.
- beforeRender(): This action takes place once controller action logic has completed and before the view is rendered. The function can be called manually and you can call this function before the action ends.
- afterFilter(): Once all this is done this function can be used after every controller action and also after rendering is done. This is the last function that needs to be called.
Let us move to the next MVC Interview Questions
Q5. What are the filters? Name a few MVC filters?
Sometimes we need data where some logic is to be executed before the execution method or even after the execution. Filters can be used to define different logics and these logics can be run either before or after the execution of any action method. These filters can be applied to any actions. Filters in MVC are as below:
- Authorization filter.
- Action filter.
- Result filter.
- Exception filter.
Part 2 – MVC Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced MVC Interview Questions.
Q6. Explain the difference between ViewData and ViewBag?
ViewData is used to pass data from the controller to view. ViewBag also can be used for a similar purpose where the controller can pass data to any respective view. ViewData can be derived from ViewDataDictionary class while ViewBag is a dynamic property and has all dynamic features of C# 4.0.
ViewData needs that typecasting is for complex data and is also checks for nulls which helps in avoiding errors. ViewBag enables that when redirection occurs then its value turns out to be null.
Q7. Name the three segments that are important in routing?
The pattern that is mapped together to a handler and which is also responsible for incoming browser requests for any particular MVC controller is routing. This pattern can be found in a URL. There are mainly three segments for routing that are used. They are:
Let us move to the next MVC Interview Questions
Q8. What is MVC Scaffolding?
Scaffolding can be said as a framework for ASP.NET web applications. This feature can be utilized when a user wants that code is added quickly and it starts interacting with the data models. By using this you can reduce your time which is put in core development. The standard operations can be easily used using scaffolding. It majorly consists of page templates, entity page templates, and filter templates. They allow a user to build a functional data-driven website.
Q9. What is partial view in MVC?
This is the most asked MVC Interview Questions in an interview. Partial view in MVC holds a partial content. It helps in reducing redundancy of code. It can be said that partial views help in rendering a view within a parent view.
Q10. What is the difference between TempData and ViewData? Will data be preserved in TempData in the next request as well?
TempData is used to hold data for a complete request whereas ViewData can maintain data from Controller. The data in TempData can be read in the current request. This data cannot be sent to the next request. If this is the case where data needs to be sent to after a call to Keep method is sent.
This has been a guide to the list of MVC Interview Questions and Answers. Here we have listed the most useful 10 interview sets of questions so that the jobseeker can crack the interview with ease. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –