Difference Between Microsoft Azure vs Amazon Web Services
Microsoft Azure claims more than 95 percent of Fortune 500 companies use Azure, while Amazon Web Services capture 62% of the market. Microsoft Azure, formerly known as Windows Azure, stands out as one of the top vendors globally with a wide range of services available. Azure is Microsoft’s public cloud computing platform. Amazon Web Services (AWS) started in the year 2006, and today, AWS Cloud spans 57 Availability Zones within 19 geographic Regions around the world, with announced plans for 15 more Availability Zones and five more Regions in Bahrain, Cape Town, Hong Kong SAR, Milan, and Stockholm.
Head to Head Comparison Between Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (Infographics)
Below is the top 22 difference between Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services:
Key Differences Between Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services
Both Microsoft Azure vs Amazon Web Services are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services:
- Amazon Web Services are far behind in hybrid deployment of a cloud, while Azure is far ahead in a hybrid deployment. It allows hosting applications on a local server as well as on the cloud.
- AWS allows the client to pick and choose and build the cloud services as they need while Microsoft product is simple to use and you need to use as Microsoft has designed their product.
- Amazon Web Services covers the basic enterprise of cloud services while Microsoft Azure also covers basic enterprise quite well.
- AWS is way ahead to apt and aligns with Linux and open-source projects, while Azure has caught up for not aligning with open source apps.
- Amazon’s comprehensive admin controls operate core features like Compute, Storage, Databases, Networking and Content development while Azure’s Build Infrastructure, Gain Insights from data, Manage to identify and access, Develop modern application covers core features like Compute, Database, Storage, Networking and Content development.
- Amazon Web Services provides a Big Data framework – Elastic MapReduce on their cloud platform, while Azure provides Big Data framework – HDInsight on their cloud platform.
- Amazon Web Services provide real-time analytics and stream processing on their platform, while Azure provides real-time data processing and analytics over its platform.
- Amazon Web Services is very much flexible with VM, database, apps development on their platform and the same is considered on Azure Platform.
- Azure gives a slightly more pronounced and advanced focus on data management comparing Amazon Web Services.
- AWS and Azure offer you a free trial. You can utilize this offer to decide which services to use.
- Microsoft Azure almost doubled its revenues in the year 2017 that is approximately $1.5 billion, while Amazon Web Services claims approximately to $9.7 billion, which is45% increase in revenue. AWS revenues increased by nearly three times as much as Azure´s revenue. It was commercially launched in the year 2010.
- Today it is available to 54 regions, spread across 140 countries. Azure has more than 100 services with great end-to-end tools. 120000, new customer subscriptions per month. Microsoft offers all three of the major categories of cloud computing, Platform As a Service (PaaS), Software As a Service (SsaS), Infrastructure As a Service (IaaS). It deals with PaaS and IaaS offerings under the brand name of Microsoft Azure.
- AWS is a comprehensive, evolving cloud computing platform provided by Amazon. It provides a cloud platform as an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS) and Platform as a service (SaaS). It provides Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) into five different Storage, Computes, Database, Content Delivery, and Networking categories. AWS was the first company to offer a pay-as-you-go cloud computing model.
Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services.
|Basis of Comparison between Microsoft Azure vs Amazon Web Services||
Amazon Web Services
|Platform As A Service||Azure supports Cloud Services||AWS supports Elastic Beanstalk|
|Instances Family||Azure support 4||AWS support 7|
|Instance Types||Maximum up to 33||Maximum up to 38|
|Caching||Azure supports Redis Cache||ASW supports Elastic Cache|
|Analytics||Azure Support tool- Azure Stream Analytics||AWS support tool – Amazon Kinesis|
|Data Warehouse||Azure Supports SQL Data Warehouse||ASW supports Redshift|
|Virtual Networking||Virtual Network||Virtual Private Cloud|
|Administration||Log Analytics, Operations Management Suite, Resource Health, Storage Explorer||Application Discovery Service, System manager, Personal Health Dashboard|
|Pricing||For Infrastructure pay Per Minute||For Infrastructure pay Per Hour|
|Big Data Platform||Less mature comparing AWS for Big Data environment||More mature for Big Data environment|
|Hadoop||HDInsight||Elastic Map Reduce|
|NoSQL Databases||Azure Document DB||Amazon Dynamo DB|
|Security Features||Provides security by enabling permissions on the whole account||More Secured as security is provided through user-defined roles with exceptional permission controls.|
|Object Size Limits||4.75 TB||5 TB|
|How many platforms are Matured||Azure is 8 years old||AWS is 18 years old|
|Market Capture||20% of the entire cloud market||62% of the entire cloud market|
|Maximum Processor in VM||128||128|
|Maximum Memory in VM||3800 GB||3904 GB|
|Operating System Supported||RHEL, OpenSUSE, Windows, SLES, CoreOS, CentOS, Cloud Linux, Debian, FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Oracle Linux||RHEL, Ubuntu, Oracle Linux, Cloud Linux, CentOS, Windows, SLES, Windows, FreeBSD, Debian, CoreOS|
|Platform||Public Cloud Platform for Microsoft||An on-demand cloud computing platform for Amazon Web Services|
|Open Source Community||Not much open-source tool supported||A large number of Open Source Tool-Supported|
We are generating a very huge volume of data, and everyday data are piling up. Most of the data are stored in the cloud. And it opened the door of more growth and business opportunities to cloud vendors. With the exponential growth and demand of Cloud Technology, public cloud vendor are in very high demands. Cloud vendors are increasing their services and reducing their commercials to lead in the market. 62 % of the market share is occupied by AWS, while 20% by Azure. Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure are truly game player of cloud services. They are important players in the cloud industry. Both Microsoft Azure vs Amazon Web Services are well matured and providing a long list of services. You can choose any of them based on your project requirement. Due to competition, both Microsoft Azure vs Amazon Web Services is trying to attract the customer. Amazon AWS offers the most cloud services, but if you are looking for a hybrid approach, then Microsoft Azure is a better choice. Microsoft Azure vs Amazon Web Services both companies provide excellent developer and IT resources along with top-notch support. Either platform is sure to have the capabilities to accomplish organizational needs.
This has been a guide to the top difference between Microsoft Azure vs Amazon Web Services. We also discuss the Microsoft Azure vs Amazon Web Services head to head differences, key differences, infographics, and a comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more.