Updated February 28, 2023
Difference Between MariaDB vs MongoDB
Head to Head Comparison Between MariaDB vs MongoDB (Infographics)
Below are the top 8 differences between MariaDB and MongoDB:
Key Difference Between MariaDB vs MongoDB
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between MariaDB and MongoDB:
- Though MongoDB is more popular than MariaDB, MariaDB has the availability, performance, and security and working in other databases. Also, MariaDB is based on column database. MongoDB performs as a cloud service and has a proper infrastructure. This makes MongoDB work well in any applications with fewer resources. Also, it is available in the services with only documents in the store.
- MariaDB works with Azure with high availability, and the cloud store properly made to the users. Security is offered as Azure users, and it is easy to use in the systems. Also, MariaDB has its own cloud service for easy use for its developers. MongoDB is used in AWS, Azure and GCP clouds as it easily integrates with any cloud services. It is available easily in the system, but it does not have its own cloud service like MariaDB.
- MariaDB is basically a relational database model while MongoDB is basically a document store. MongoDB also works as a search engine for the available documents and works as a normal relational database. MongoDB is the best document store when compared with other databases. The secondary stores of MariaDB are document store and graph DBMS. A storage engine is used for graphs, and they can be stored in the database.
- XML support is provided in MariaDB to be stored, accessed and retrieved in XML format. MongoDB does not allow for this feature and has access only for documents.
- SQL queries are used in MariaDB, and these queries make the database to work with SQL ease with the commands. SQL queries are used in MongoDB as well, but users cannot work with the queries. They are available as read-only queries and used in business intelligence through MongoDB connector. These commands help to build the databases to integrate with other databases and to share data.
- Different APIs are used in MariaDB for the proper working and availability of the data. The APIs are ADO.NET, JDBC, ODBC and native API for the security system working. These APIs help the database to manage the data and make them available whenever the user needs it. MongoDB does not have an API and uses an only protocol for the JSON format. MongoDB is not complex as MariaDB, and this protocol helps the data to be managed properly.
- Most of the programming languages are supported in both the databases. Though MariaDB does not support Matlab and shell languages. MongoDB has a large base for supporting all the languages in the system.
MariaDB vs MongoDB Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between MariaDB vs MongoDB:
|The scripts are consistent throughout the system, and it provides immediate consistency when the queries fail.||Scripts provide immediate and eventual consistency in the system with the available scripts to make them work with ease.|
|There are many partitioning methods available in the database, such as horizontal partitioning and sharding. Sharding is done with either the clusters or storage engine. This helps to avoid unwanted data in the database and to be relevant to the necessary data.||Partitioning methods make the documents always work and know the needed documents in the database. Sharding is the method used here. Documents are arranged well with this method.|
|Replication methods available are master to master and master to slave replications. Any of the replication members can edit data, and the database works well in this system.||The only master to slave replication methods is available so that data cannot be updated by anyone but by the servers in the group.|
|A cache is managed in the system, and the load is checked in the system, and only if it is not available, data is loaded from the server. This makes the work easy for the database.||Data is not loaded from the cache as it does not manage cache from the system.|
|Data processing takes time and does not have the facility of map reduce.||Data processing is done easily as map reduce helps process large amounts of data easily in a single go. Proper results are provided with the help of map reduce.|
|Foreign keys are used in the system so that data is linked from one table to another. This helps to fetch data from any table.||Foreign keys are not used in the database so that the tables are not linked easily. Data can be fetched from other tables by calling them directly from the table.|
|Atomicity, consistency, isolation and durability are the transaction levels used in the database, and the concept is called ACID.||ACID concepts and snapshot isolation are used in the database so that a consistent view of the data is available with data integrity in the system.|
|Users with SQL base find MariaDB easy to use as it has many queries similar and the working is also similar to SQL. Rights are provided to users with SQL standards.||It does not work like SQL but has access rights to users based on their system roles.|
Many are familiar with SQL concepts. These databases make the system easier and are available to work with huge data in the store. Programming languages are not needed to manage the data as MariaDB and MongoDB make it easy working to the users. Availability and consistency are the traits that make these databases stand apart from others. Also, it is easy to work with these databases.
This is a guide to MariaDB vs MongoDB. Here we discuss the key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –