Introduction on Linux Mint vs Ubuntu
Linux Mint and Ubuntu are most of the two popular operating systems by Linux. They are portable and user-friendly. Ubuntu was considered the most reliable and good choice by the people in earlier days, but now it is beaten by Linux Mint, which is trending in the market. They have a different kind of unique traits which is applied effectively according to its requirements. In this topic, we are going to learn about Linux Mint vs Ubuntu.
Head to Head Comparison Between Linux Mint vs Ubuntu (Infographics)
Below are the top 10 differences between Linux Mint vs Ubuntu
Key Differences Between Linux Mint vs Ubuntu
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between Linux vs Ubuntu.
- The important part of the Linux Mint and Ubuntu is its environment, its interface, homepage and usability with different flavours. Default Ubuntu is available with Unity, a desktop environment from version 17.0. ubuntu is available with Gnome as the inbuilt feature, which serves with the advanced option. Linux Mint is not available with the default option, but the user can customize his interface with Cinnamon.
- The Ubuntu and Linux Mint are shipped with a bunch of pre-installed software, a media player and an office suite. Linux Mint and Ubuntu re available with dpkg, a similar package manager. So the software is similar for both Linux Mint and Ubuntu. So, the user cannot decide the performance factor of the operating system. The installation of the application and updating it is done through an app store or GUI, which is done in less than a minute.
- Linux Mint and Ubuntu are a user-friendly tool which is easy to configure and adaptable for beginners. The experienced user can effectively use the customize options and deploy according to his business requirements and personalize its applications such as laptop and desktop. Linux Mint is more adaptable for Windows users since the interface is similar to MS-Office, whereas Ubuntu gives a similar experience as Mac users.
- The update of Ubuntu is released every six months, and its release cycle is pre-scheduled, and desktop service is provided once in five years. The support duration is a long time, and it’s reliable, which is professionally supported by the company. The Linux Mint update is not pre-scheduled; it’s released after the month of Ubuntu Update. Ubuntu and Linux Mint have a trending distribution platform, and many users attract it. If the users are more, the people can get guidance from them through online support, and issues can be easily sorted out for beginners. Linux Mint is an active community and very helpful and gets advice through the official Linux mint platform.
- The Linux Mint and Ubuntu installation are similar, which can be easily portable through the hard disk or pen drive. The graphical user interface assists the user in installation and customization. They work on the Ubiquity installer.
- Even though the Linux Mint and Ubuntu have provided the user with a variety of similar options, they differ in their performance level. The Linux Mint excels better with its advanced features and high efficiency. It is marked as trending among the user to customize feature options and the kit of demanding software and application, which is shipped along with Linux Mint. Since its developing platform, it is not applicable in older hardware systems.
Linux Mint vs Ubuntu Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top 10 difference between Linux Mint vs Ubuntu.
|System Requirements for the operating system||The requirement of Linux Mint is simple they need a desktop or Laptop. For the older system, the Mint version is available.||The requirement of Ubuntu is simple; it needs a Laptop or desktop and applicable in its both older and new versions. For older hardware, Ubuntu Mate, Lubuntu and Xubuntu, which are the flavour of Ubuntu, are available.|
|Installation of the operating system||Linux Mint does not differ in the installation process of Ubuntu. It supports Unified Extensible Firmware Interface.|| Ubuntu and Linux Mint have similar installation process. They do not differ in the installation process. It supports Unified Extensible Firmware Interface.|
|User-Interface and home page options of the OS||The default interface of Linux Mint is Cinnamon. The interface and launching options are similar to Microsoft. Mint users feel the home page of windows in the system.||The general interface of Ubuntu is Gnome. Using Gnome, Canonical offers a global menu for accessing advanced features. The user can launch it by tapping on the Ubuntu icon. The Gnome user feels a similar experience to the Mac OS user.|
|Software supporting Operating system||Linux Mint is available as open source. It comes with a kit of java, codecs of audio and video, Firefox, and also provides advanced features such as VLC and GIMP. Comparing both, Mint is available with more software than Ubuntu.||Ubuntu is available with Libre Office and Firefox. Apart from this, it is available with pre-installed software such as Java and codecs.|
|Software Installation of the operating system||Mint has its unique Mint Software Manager. Linux Mint has some unique flavour like Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, and KDE. It provides a ton of software and available for use and provides easy installation.||Ubuntu has its app store to download. Gnome has ten different flavours, such as XFCE and MythTV. Ubuntu servers source of multimedia production. .Chinese user Ubuntu Kylin.|
|Official Spins of the Operating system||It gives many flavours comparing to Ubuntu. Hence it is preferred by people because of its colourful features.||It gives comparatively fewer features than Linux Mint.|
|Customization of the OS||Mint has a variety of user setting that enables the user to modify the single details of the homepage. So Linux Mint gives easy access to customize the applications.||Ubuntu has less limited access to customize user settings.|
|Performance of the Operating system||Linux Mint provides top performance and speed. But it is noticeable in the older hardware and runs fast on it the newer machine||Ubuntu usually runs slower in older machines. So the user can prefer Xubuntu or Lubuntu.|
|Upgradeability and Updates||Software is easily available in Linux Mint. It is done by Mint’s approach by tapping on the icon to download the updates.||Ubuntu is very easily available and easily available for download and update.|
|Support by Operating system||It gives firm support to the user and relies on its operating system to act on the donor and sponsor to show strong support.||Ubuntu relies on Canonical for its development and provides firm support to community support.|
This is a guide to Linux Mint vs Ubuntu. Here we discuss the Linux Mint vs Ubuntu key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –