Difference between Laravel vs Codeigniter
It is a PHP framework used in web applications development, it is open source framework .it improves the speed of web development by its powerful functionality and features. It has rich set libraries. Web application developed with help of CodeIgniter are very secure. It prevents website form the hacker’s attacks.
Laravel is a PHP framework. It is an open source framework used in web application development. This framework is based on model view controller design pattern due to this project developed with help of this framework are more structured and manageable. This framework reuses the existing functionality of the core framework along with its own features. This framework has all basics features earlier frameworks. Web application developed with help of this framework is more secure, it prevents the websites from hacker’s attacks.
Features of CodeIgniter are given below
- Extremely Light Weight
- Model-View-Controller Based System
- Query Builder Database Support
- Security and XSS Filtering
- Form and Data Validation
- Session Management
- Libraries for image manipulations resizing, cropping, rotating, etc. Supports GD, NetPBM and Image Magick.
- Provides classes for email sending, gives supports for the Attachments, HTML/Text emails, multiple protocols like SMTP, POP and more.
- FTP Class
- File Uploading Class
- Data Encryption
- Error Logging
- Full Page Caching
- Application Profiling
- User Agent Class
- Calendaring Class
- Zip Encoding Class
- Template Engine Class
- Trackback Class
- Large library of “helper” functions
- XML-RPC Library
- Unit Testing Class
- Provides supports for various class extension and hooks
- Search-engine Friendly URLs
- Flexible URI Routing
Features of Laravel Framework
It provides many built-in modules and libraries which help in enhancement of the web applications. All modules are integrated with Composer dependency manager which results in easy updates.
It gives a flexible approach to the Web developer to define various routes in the web application. Routing is helpful to scale up the web application in the best way and increases its performance of applications also.
Laravel gives various features and helpers which help to the Software Testers through various test cases. This feature helps in maintaining the code as per the user’s requirements.
Query Builder and ORM
It provides a powerful query builder which helps in querying large databases using various simple chains of methods. It gives ORM (Object Relational Mapper) and ActiveRecord implementation called Eloquent.
Configuration Management Features
Websites designed with help of Laravel are running on different environments with a different configuration, which means that there is a constant change in its configurations. It gives a consistent and powerful approach to maintain the configuration in an efficient way.
Blade Template engine used by Laravel, which is lightweight template language used to design hierarchical layouts and blocks with predefined different types of blocks that include dynamic content.
Laravel maintains the variety of the database definitions and schemas in PHP code. It also provides support to track of all changes with respect to database migrations.
User authentication is a common feature in all the websites. Laravel provides designing authentication as it has features such as register, send password reminders and forgot password.
Head To Head Comparison Between Laravel vs Codeigniter (Infographics)
Below is the top 6 difference between Laravel vs Codeigniter
Key differences between Laravel vs Codeigniter
Both Laravel vs Codeigniter are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between Laravel vs Codeigniter:
- CodeIgniter does not support ORM while Laravel enables us as a developer to take advantage of Eloquent object-relational mapping ORM. We can use the ORM system to work with varieties of databases more efficiently by Active Record implementation. Eloquent Object Relational Mapping further allows the developer to interact with databases directly through the specific model of individual database tables. A developer can even use the model to achieve common tasks like inserting new records and running database queries.
- CodeIgniter more database compared to Laravel, Database supported by both framework are following MySQL, Microsoft Bi, PostgreSQL and MongoDB Additional database supported by Codeigniter are following ORACLE, Microsoft SQL Server, oriented, IBM DB2, and JDBC compatible.
- CodeIgniter required the developer to create and maintain modules by using Modular Extension additionally, while Laravel is designed with built-in modularity features. which enables developers to divide a large project into small modules through the bundle. We can further reuse these modules across multiple projects.
- Many developers have found the issue in CodeIgniter application on PHP 7 platform while these are not found in case of Laravel
- CodeIgniter does not provide any specific features to simplify database schema migration. To do it required lots of efforts. Laravel makes it easy by the database agnostic migrations feature provided by it. This makes easier for Developers to modify and share the database schemas of the application without writing complex code to perform this operation. We can further develop database schemas of the application easily by combining the database agnostic migration with the schema builder provided by Laravel Framework.
- CodeIgniter does not provide built-in template engine. The programmer needs to integrate the framework with robust template engines like Smarty to do common tasks and boost the performance of web applications. Laravel provides inbuilt support robust template engine Blade. This template engine enables PHP Developers to optimize the performance of the sites by enhancing and manipulating various views
- CodeIgniter does not provide features to simplify development of REST APIs. Developers have to write more code to create custom REST APIs while developing web applications with CodeIgniter framework ,In the case of Laravel .. RESTful Controllers provided by it enables Developers to build REST APIs without putting extra time and efforts We can simply set the $restful property as true in the RESTful Controller to build custom REST APIs without writing extra code.
Laravel vs Codeigniter Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between Laravel vs CodeIgniter
|The basis of comparison Between Laravel vs CodeIgniter||
|Definition||Laravel is an open-source PHP framework, based on MVC pattern, which is robust and easy to learn and intended for programmers who need a modest and elegant toolkit to build full-featured web applications||CodeIgniter is an Open Source, powerful PHP application development framework with a very small footprint, built for programmers who demand a simple and elegant toolkit to build full-featured web applications.|
|Database Model||Object Oriented||Relational Object – Oriented|
|Programming Paradigm||Laravel is Object Oriented Event Driven Functional||Component Oriented|
|Routing||Explicit Routing||Supports both explicit and implicit Routing|
|Built-in Modules||Allows programmers to divide a project into small modules through a bundle. They can further reuse the modules across various projects.||Doesn’t support built-in modularity features, requires programmers to create and maintain modules by using Modular Extension additionally.|
|HTTPS Support||Allows developers to establish custom HTTPs routes. Developers also have the choice to build a specific URL for every HTTPS route. Laravel moreover preserves the data transmission secure by adding https:// protocol before the URL automatically.||Does not support HTTPS route sufficiently. The developers have to manage URL helpers to make the data transmission protected by developing pats.|
Conclusion – Laravel vs Codeigniter
As we saw both Laravel vs Codeigniter Frameworks and found that Laravel has more features compared to CodeIgniter we can adopt Laravel in our web applications development. While in case of our applications needs to supports interactions with varieties of a database we go with CodeIgniter.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between Laravel vs Codeigniter. Here we also discuss the Laravel vs Codeigniter key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following Laravel vs Codeigniter articles to learn more –