Updated February 17, 2023
Definition of Jira Time Tracking
Jira provides different kinds of features to the users, in which that time tracking is one of the features provided by Jira. The Jira time tracking feature tracks user time which means how much time they spend on different issues. Before implementing time tracking, we need to specify the time estimates, how long they are working, and the need to issue permission for the specified project. Then, we can enable or disable Jira time tracking functionality per our requirement.
Overviews Jira Time Tracking
Time tracking is essential while we are using agile software development.
And keeping in mind that not all Jira clients follow coordinated, many nimble dev groups love Jira.
The justification for why time following is significant in agile cycles is that time tracking considers triangulation.
Quite possibly, the most troublesome errands for project administrators are too thought of practical assessments. Utilizing time tracking, you can contrast errands, and comparable positions finished previously, notwithstanding different insights (for example, the story focuses). What’s more, thus ascertain undeniably more exact cutoff times.
Moreover, you can use computer-based time tracking (for instance, by utilizing applications). This can take the problem of logging off engineers’ shoulders by making a record without requiring manual information sources. That permits them to continue ahead with their work without interference.
Using Jira Time Management
Now let’s see how we manage time tracking as follows.
Time-Tracking Software is a PC program that permits representatives to follow how long they spend on an explicit, specific project or, we can say, that specified work. Numerous businesses, including specialists and hourly workers, frequently utilize the program. Experts who charge their buyers constantly likewise use it. Legal advisors, specialists, and bookkeepers are among a couple of them.
Time-Tracking Software can be utilized freely or related to applications like Project Management Software, Customer Service, and Accountancy. The Time-Tracking Software replaces the standard paper Timesheet with an electronic rendition. Time-Tracking Software likewise incorporates Time-Recording Software, which utilizes User Activity Monitoring to follow the exercises performed on a PC and how much time is spent on each errand.
How to Configure Jira time tracking?
Now let’s see how we can configure the Jira time tracking.
First, we need to check all the permissions. If we don’t have the license, we need to grant all the permission to the specified project; for permission verification, we need to follow the following steps.
- First, we need to select a setting and, inside the setting, click on Issues.
- After that, click on the permission.
- If you want to configure the permission schema, we can configure it according to our requirements.
- We must select work on issues and click the edit button inside the time tracking permission.
- Here we need to select the specific user, project role, or groups that we need to assign log work.
- Finally, click on the grant option.
After that, we need to follow different steps to configure the Jira time tracking.
- First, we need to turn off the time tracking; we can then edit the setting.
- In a second step, we need to select the format of the time, such as hours per day, Days per week,
- We also need to check the default unit of time.
- Next, we need to configure the Work on Issues permissions using the following steps.
- First, we must select the permission scheme link to land on the Permission scheme page.
- Find which schemes are relevant to the specified project.
- We can now edit the permission scheme as per our requirement, as shown in the following screenshot.
In the above screenshot, we can see a time tracking option.
Now let’s see how we can enable or disable time tracking in the specified projects per our requirement.
- First, we need to select a setting, and inside the environment, select Issues.
- Click on the Issue features.
- Select Time tracking
- Finally, click on the Activate button to enable it.
The following screenshot shows time tracking as follows.
Now let’s see how we can disable Jira time tracking as follows.
- First, we need to select a setting, and inside the setting, select Issues.
- Click on the Issue features.
- Select Time tracking
- Finally, click on the Deactivate button to disable time tracking. As shown in the following
How to Change Jira time tracking?
Now let’s see how we can change Jira time tracking as follows.
Typically Jira provides a different time format, so as per our requirement, we can change time format such as Hours per day, Days per week, default time, legacy Mode, etc. There are five sets of permission that we can change as follows.
- Issues work: By using this property, we can log work issues.
- Deletion of work logs: We can delete all logs using this command.
- Deletion of our own worklog: Here, we can delete our created work log.
- Edit all present worklogs: Jira also provides the functionality to edit all work logs.
- Edit own worklog: We can able to edit our own created work logs
Jira Time Tracking Tools
Now let’s see different time tracking tools as follows.
a. Tempo Timesheets
This is a premium application used to track the time in Jira. Using this application, we can make a fast and easy process and provide multiple options to track time. For example, the Tempo Timesheet is shown in the following screenshot.
b. Pivot Gadget
This is an advanced time tracking tool, and effectively we can track the time; it also includes some business capabilities that are helping Jira. For example, the Pivot Gadget tool is shown in the following screenshot.
c. Time Report
It provides flexibility to track the time and report for the specific project, as shown in the following screenshot.
With the help of the above article, we try to learn about JIRA time tracking. From this article, we know basic things about it and see the integration of the JIRA time tracking and how we use it in JIRA time tracking.
This is a guide to Jira Time Tracking. Here we discuss the definition, overview, How to Configure Jira time tracking, and Jira time tracking tools. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –