Difference Between Java 11 vs Java 17
Java 11 vs java 17 contains different features that support while developing applications. Java 17 is the newest LTS release from java 11, and from java 6 various types of changes are implemented. While switching to the latest version LTS contains a fast overview when it was changed. While migrating from java 11 to java 17 will allow us to have up-to-date language features which build the apps more portable.
Java 17 support the long term, java 11 also support the long term. Java 11 contains support up to Sept 2023 and it will also contain extended support up to Sept 2026. By using java 11 Oracle JDK is not free for commercial as well as production use. If our application is not using the bundle of legacy, then we need to deploy the server itself by using java versions 11 and 17.
In Java 11 legacy bundled service of application is provided. In Java 17 legacy bundled service of application is also provided. We can use java 11 in multiple applications the connectivity of the application to the database is easy in java 11 as compared to the lower version of java. Java 17 also contains better connectivity.
What is Java 11?
Java 11 is available from 25 Sept 2018. Java 11 is an open-source implementation of the java 11 SE platform. Java 11 is released after four years after releasing the version of java 8. Java 11 included multiple features that were not available in java 8. Java 11 contains new features that provide more functionality. Java 11 introduced multiple new features that were not available in java 8.
Java 11 introduced the modularity feature, but it is not available in java 8. It is the biggest change added in java 11. By using the modularity feature we can split our application or code into multiple modules. It will allow us to test our application easy and it also manages the access.
What is Java 17?
Java 17 is the newest support release for java. Under the no-fee cost of Oracle terms and conditions, the library of java 17 is free for use in production as well as commercial use. Java is supporting LTS, java 17 is available from 15 Sept 2021. By using java 17 we can create desktop as well as web applications. The java 17 software includes collection libraries, JVM, development tools, and other tools that are used for developing the application.
At the time using java with each version, we can observe new function is introduced. Java 11 is introduced multiple new features. It will include the pipeline of MacOS rendering. The new feature of java 17 will contain a faster number of generations of “pseudo-random” with enhanced security.
Head to Head Comparison of Java 11 vs Java 17 (Infographics)
Below are the top 11 differences between Java 11 vs Java 17:
Let us look at the key differences between Java 11 vs Java 17:
- Although pattern matching was not available in Java 11, it was added in Java 17. The boilerplate code will be changed or reduced, and pattern matching will be added to use the instance of calls. We need to determine whether the object is a class instance or an object of the same class. At the end of the statement, we must include the variable name.
- For adding more control to the access in our class and interfaces we need to use a sealed keyword, this is not available in java 11. It is newly introduced in java 17. This keyword allows us to whitelist the classes which permitted for extending the implementation.
- In a switch expression, java 17 added a new variety that did not exist in java 11. As per using a more functional approach, switch expression removes the need for breaks and allows to return of values.
- With additional switch expression the pattern matching concept is added in java 17, it is not available in java 11. It contain the new potential to add switch expressions in a functional style.
Java 11 Requirement
Below are the system requirements at the time of installing java 11 in our system as follows:
- While installing java 11 in our system we required windows 10 OS or Microsoft windows server 2016 or 2019. We can also use Linux, macOS, and Solaris systems.
- We have a required processor of 4 core CPU with 2.40 GHz speeds.
- We have required 8 GB RAM for java 11 installation.
- We have required a minimum of 250 MB free space on disk for installation of Java 11.
- We need to download JDK 11 at the time using java in our environment.
- We have required Firefox, Chrome, and Edge browsers to use java 11.
- Java 11 uses the HIPPA database 9.1 and Edifecs Standards database – EDI X12 9.1.
Java 17 Requirement
Below are the system requirements at the time of installing java 17 in our system as follows:
- While installing java 17 in our system we required windows 10 and 11 OS. We can also use Linux, macOS, and Solaris systems.
- We have the required processor of 4 core CPU.
- We have required 8 GB RAM for java 17 installation.
- We need to download JDK 17 at the time using java in our environment.
- We have required Firefox, Chrome, and Edge browsers to use java 17.
- We have required a minimum of 1 GB of space while installing java 17.
The following table shows the comparison of Java 11 vs Java 17:
|Sr. No||Java 11||Java 17|
|1||Java 11 is available for development use from 25 Sept 2018.||Java 17 is available for development use from 15 Sept 2021.|
|2||Java 11 is used to develop desktop as well as web applications.||Java 17 is used to develop desktop as well as web applications.|
|3||We cannot generate sealed classes in java 11.||We generate sealed classes in java 17.|
|4||Feature of the security manager is available in java 11.||The feature of the security manager is removed in java 17.|
|5||JIT compiler and experimental AOT are available in java 11.||JIT compiler and experimental AOT are removed in java 17.|
|6||Java 11 does not contain the feature of foreign functions.||Java 17 contains the feature of foreign functions.|
|7||Java 11 does not contain the feature of memory API.||Java 17 contains the feature of memory API.|
|8||Feature of switch pattern matching is not available in java 11.||The feature of switch pattern matching is available in java 17.|
|9||Java 11 does not contain the feature of vector API.||Java 17 does not contain the feature of vector API.|
|10||It will not contain the rendering pipeline of MacOS.||It will contain the rendering pipeline of MacOS.|
|11||Java 11 contains developer-related features.||Java 17 contains developer-related features.|
Purpose of Java 11
We can create a java file in Java 11 that contains multiple versions of java release class files. The release jar files support multiple java versions without containing multiple jar files. The java 11 library jar files address the problem of specific jar files appearing at specific times.
Java 11 introduced multiple methods of string such as isBlank(), lines, and many more. Java 11 allows us to use the var variable by using lambda expressions. The java deployment technologies are removed in java 11, these technologies exist in java 8. Java 11 has various methods introduced this method supports to perform multiple operations of files. Pattern recognition is possible by using java 11.
Purpose of Java 17
Java 17 is the latest released software that supports the java SE platform. The library of java 17 is free for use, we can use this binary in production as well as commercial use. Java 17 expands the switch applicability statements by allowing the patterns which appear in the case labels. It will be allowing guarded pattern refinement.
Java 17 implemented new classes named sealed classes, which will restrict the other classes or interfaces from extending and implementing. Java 17 is providing a new interface type and it will also be providing implementation of pseudo-random numbers by using PRNG algorithms also it is supporting stream-based operations.
Java 17 support the long term, java 11 also support the long term. Java 11 contains support up to Sept 2023 and it will also contain extended support up to Sept 2026. Java 11 vs java 17 contains different features supporting while developing applications. Java 17 is the newest LTS release from java 11, and from java 6 various types of changes are implemented.
This is a guide to Java 11 vs Java 17. Here we discuss Java 11 vs Java 17 key differences with infographics and comparison table. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –