Is Big Data a Database?
Big Data is a Database that is different and advanced from the standard database. The Standard Relational databases are efficient for storing and processing structured data. It uses the table to store the data and structured query language (SQL) to access and retrieve the data. BigData is the type of data that includes unstructured and semi-structured data. There are specific types of database known as NoSQL databases, There are several types of NoSQL Databases and tools available to store and process the Big Data. NoSQL Databases are optimized for data analytics using the BigData such as text, images, logos, and other data formats such as XML, JSON. The big data is helpful for developing data-driven intelligent applications.
It is an organized collection of structured data. It is a collection of related information. DB stores and access data electronically. A database is stored as a file or a set of files on magnetic disk or tape, optical disk, or some other secondary storage device. It is an data structure that stores organized information. They are administrated to facilitate the storage of data, retrieval of data, modification of data, and deletion of data. It allows processing various data-processing operations. Databases bolster stockpiling and control of information. Databases make information administration simple. Any database developer with certain sets of syntax can process can work on the database.
It is changing our world and the way we live at an unprecedented rate. It is the new science of analyzing and predicting human and machine behaviour by processing a very huge amount of related data. It refers to speedy growth in the volume of structured, semi-structured and unstructured data. It is estimated to generate 50,000 Gb data per second in the year 2018. The speed at which data has generated a need to be stored and processed efficiently. Big Data engenders from multiple sources and arrives in multiple formats. Big Data in a way just means ‘all data’. It can be described in terms of data management challenges that – due to increasing volume, velocity and variety of data – cannot be solved with traditional databases. It come from sensors, devices, video/audio, networks, log files, transactional applications, web, and social media – much of it generated in real-time and in a very large scale.
Can It Replace Database
A DB is a collection of related data. There are two types of databases – Relation Database Management System while other is Non – Relational Database Management System. Non-Relational Database is also called as NoSQL. We store different types of data in different databases. We store structured data in Relational databases. There are different types of relational databases like SQL, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, Teradata. We store Semi-Structured or Un-Structured data into Non-Relational databases. We choose databases based on data types. If we are storing and capable of processing a very huge volume of data in databases, Definitely we can store and process Big Data through relational or Non-relational Databases. No, it is not going to replace databases. In one form or other we will be using SQL databases to store and process Big Data. In this regard, Big Data is completely separate from DB.
Difference Between Big Data and Database
Given below is the difference between Big Data and Database:
- Big Data is a term applied to data sets whose size or type is beyond the ability of traditional relational databases. A traditional database is not able to capture, manage, and process the high volume of data with low-latency While Database is a collection of information that is organized so that it can be easily captured, accessed, managed and updated.
- Big Data refers to technologies and initiatives that involve data that is too diverse i.e. varieties, rapid-changing or massive for skills, conventional technologies, and infrastructure to address efficiently While Database management system (DBMS) extracts information from the database in response to queries but it in restricted conditions.
- There can be any varieties of data while DB can be defined through some schema.
- It is difficult to store and process while Databases like SQL, data can be easily stored and process.
Why it is so popular?
The reason it is so popular is due to the following characteristics:
- Volume: Volume is probably the best-known characteristic of big data. As we know that almost 90% of today’s data was created in the past couple of years. Volume plays a major role while considering Big Data.
- Variety: When we are talking of Big Data, we need to consider data in all formats like the handling of structured, semi-structured and unstructured data. We are capturing all varieties of data whether it is a pdf, image, website click, images, and videos. These mix varieties of data are very difficult to store and analyze.
- Velocity: Velocity is the speed or rate at which data is being generated, clicked, refreshed, produced and accessed. Facebook generating 500 Tb of data per day. YouTube is uploading 400 hours of videos per minute. Google is translating billions of searches per day.
- Variability: The inconsistency shown by the data at times will slow down the process sometimes. It is multiple data dimensions because of multiple data sources.
- Veracity: It refers your data accuracy. How accurate is your data and how meaningful it is to the analysis based on it?
Google Map tells you the fastest route and saves your time. Amazon knows, what you want to buy? Netflix recommends you to list of movies, which you may be interested to watch. If it is capable of all this today – just imagine what it will be capable of tomorrow. The amount of data available to us is only going to increase, and analytics technology will become more advanced. It will be the solution to your smart and advanced life. Maybe you will get a notification on your smartphone prescribing you some medicines because sooner you may encounter health issues. It is going to change a life – the way we are looking at. The database like SQL or NoSQL is a tool to store, process and analyze Big Data.
This has been a guide to Is Big Data a Database?. Here we have discussed basic concepts about Big Data and How it varies from a database and reason why it is so popular. You may also look at the following articles –