Updated May 12, 2023
Is Big Data a Database?
Big Data is a Database that is different and advanced from the standard Database. Standard Relational databases are efficient for storing and processing structured data. It uses the table to store the data and structured query language (SQL) to access and retrieve it. BigData is the type of data that includes unstructured and semi-structured data. NoSQL databases are a specific type of Database. Several NoSQL databases and tools are available to store and process Big Data. NoSQL Databases are optimized for data analytics using big data such as text, images, logos, and other data formats such as XML and JSON. Big data helps develop data-driven intelligent applications.
It is an organized collection of structured data. It is a collection of related information. DB stores and accesses data electronically. Typically, secondary storage devices such as magnetic disks, tapes, optical disks, or other similar storage mediums store a database as a file or a set of files. It is a data structure that stores organized information. They are administrated to facilitate the storage of data, retrieval of data, modification of data, and deletion of data. It allows processing various data-processing operations. Databases bolster stockpiling and control of information. Databases make information administration simple. Any database developer with specific sets of syntax can work on the Database.
It is changing our world and how we live at an unprecedented rate. It is the new science of analyzing and predicting human and machine behavior by processing much-related data. It refers to speedy growth in the volume of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data. It is estimated to generate 50,000 Gb of data per second in 2018. The speed at which data has generated a need to be stored and processed efficiently. Big Data engenders from multiple sources and arrives in various formats. Big Data, in a way, means ‘all data.’ It can be described as data management challenges that – due to increasing volume, velocity, and variety of data – cannot be solved with traditional databases. It comes from sensors, devices, video/audio, networks, log files, transactional applications, web, and social media – much of it is generated in real-time and on a large scale.
Can It Replace Database
A DB is a collection of related data. There are two types of databases – Relation Database Management Systems, while other is Non – Relational Database Management Systems. Non-Relational Database is also called NoSQL. We store different kinds of data in different databases. We store structured data in Relational databases. There are different types of relational databases like SQL, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, and Teradata. We store Semi-Structured or Un-Structured data in Non-Relational databases. We choose databases based on data types. If we are storing and capable of processing a huge volume of data in databases, we can store and process Big Data through relational or Non-relational Databases. No, it is not going to replace databases. We will use SQL databases to store and process Big Data in one form or another. In this regard, Big Data is entirely separate from DB.
Difference Between Big Data and Database
Given below is the difference between Big Data and Database:
- The term “Big Data” applies to data sets whose size or type exceeds the capacity of traditional relational databases. A traditional database cannot capture, manage, and process a high volume of data with low latency, While Database is a collection of organized information that can be easily captured, accessed, managed, and updated.
- Big Data refers to technologies and initiatives that involve data that is too diverse, i.e., varieties, rapid-changing or massive for skills, conventional technologies, and infrastructure to address efficiently, While Database management system (DBMS) extracts information from the Database in response to queries but in restricted conditions.
- There can be any variety of data, while DB can be defined through some schema.
- It is difficult to store and process, while Databases like SQL data can be easily stored and processed.
Why is it so Popular?
The reason it is so popular is due to the following characteristics:
- Volume: Volume is probably the best-known characteristic of big data. The past few years have witnessed the creation of approximately 90% of today’s data. Volume plays a major role when considering Big Data.
- Variety: When talking about Big Data, we need to consider data in all formats, like the handling of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data. We capture all types of data, whether a pdf, image, website click, images, or videos. These mixed varieties of data are tough to store and analyze.
- Velocity: Velocity refers to the speed or rate at which data is generated, clicked, refreshed, produced, and accessed. Facebook generates 500 Tb of data per day. YouTube is uploading 400 hours of videos per minute. Google is translating billions of searches per day.
- Variability: The inconsistency the data shows sometimes will slow down the process. It is multiple data dimensions because of multiple data sources.
- Veracity: It refers to your data accuracy. How accurate is your data, and how meaningful is it to the analysis based on it?
Conclusion – Is Big Data a Database?
Google Maps tells you the fastest route and saves you time. Amazon knows what you want to buy. Netflix recommends a list of movies that you may be interested in watching. If it is capable of all this today – imagine what it will be capable of tomorrow. The data available will only increase, and analytics technology will become more advanced. It will be the solution to your smart and advanced life. Maybe you will get a notification on your smartphone prescribing some medicines because you may encounter health issues sooner. It will change a life – how we look at it. A database like SQL or NoSQL is a tool to store, process and analyze Big Data.
This has been a guide to Is Big Data a Database? Here we have discussed basic concepts, the difference between big data and database, and why is it popular. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –