How to Install OpenStack?
The following article provides an outline for Install OpenStack. OpenStack is a software platform tool used for building and managing the cloud platforms for public and private clouds. It is free and open-source. It was written in python. It was initially released in the year 2010. It supports the cross-platform operating system. It is mostly deployed as Infrastructure as a service (IaaS). The OpenStack foundation developed it.
Steps to Install OpenStack
The steps required to install OpenStack are as follows:
Step 1: Install Virtual Box or Create Virtual Machine.
Download the Oracle virtual box and create the VM machine with a specific configuration of 64 bit OS with 8GB RAM and 300 GB of memory. After creating your VM for a specific OS that you required, open the terminal and disable the firewall.
Step 2: Download the OpenStack version.
Use the below command to download the OpenStack version through the terminal. The command is ‘yum install –y centos-release-OpenStack-newton.’
Step 3: Update the packages.
Use the below command to update the package. The command is ‘yum update –y’.
Step 4: Use the tool to install OpenStack.
With the help of packstack, all the OpenStack services can be installed in one go, and it will take care of all the install part for OpenStack. It can be installed without the tool’s help as well, but it requires a lot of time to install the services one by one. The command is ‘yum install –y OpenStack-packstack’.
Step 5: Installing services.
The below command is used to install all the services or components for OpenStack. The command is ‘packstack –allinone’. It will install everything and installation complete for OpenStack.
Step 6: Open the admin file
Open the keystonerc_admin file to get the user name, password, and URL for the open stack. Note down all three things.
Step 7: Login
Use the URL in the browser and use the same credentials to log in to OpenStack, and you will get the dashboard for OpenStack. The other services are also listed there as well.
Some of the components and the services with code names that are used in OpenStack are as follows:
- Compute: It is the main part of OpenStack IaaS. It is also referred to as Nova. It is called a cloud computing fabric controller. It is mainly written in python. It is mainly developed for scaling up with no proprietary hardware and software requirements. It is mainly used for monitoring performance in general and other log files as well.
- Networking: It helps in managing the networks. It is also known as Neutron. It helps in specifying the IP addresses and managing the networking. It provides models for different applications for the defined user groups.
- Block Storage: It is also known as Cinder. It provides the storage devices to run the services and creating the compute instances. It helps in managing, attaching devices to servers. It is used for performance-sensitive scenarios such as database storage, file system expansion, etc.; it allows cloud users to manage the storage on their own.
- Identity: It helps in mapping the central directory of users with OpenStack services. It is also called as Keystone. It mainly acts as an authentication system to operate the cloud system and its services. It will make sure the corrector authenticated access of service or tool to the particular user.
- Image: It is used for storing services and images. With the help of these images that are stored can be used as a template. It is also used to store an unlimited number of backups. It is also known as It adds enhancements to existing infrastructure. It is the module that is mainly used for adding, deleting, share and duplicates images.
- Object Storage: The object storage code name is Swift. It is used to manage the integrity of objects and files written to multiple disk drivers that are spread in the servers data center and across the cluster. OpenStack helps in replicating content and use the different software logic to distribute across the devices.
- Dashboard: The dashboard code name is Horizon. It provides the user interface to use the different services and components like managing the compute instance, monitoring, and other services. It is one of the ways to interact with OpenStack services. It can automate access and tools to build for managing.
- Orchestration: The code name of orchestration is Heat. Heat is used to orchestrate the multiple composite cloud applications using templates.
- Workflow: The code name of the workflow is Mistral. It is a service that manages workflows. It is used to write and manage the workflow that has been written for a specific service.
- Telemetry: The code name of Telemetry is Ceilometer. It is only the point of contact for the billing system of OpenStack components.
OpenStack is widely used in Cloud computing by the organization to easily deploy the applications and manage the services for different users. The most important feature of OpenStack is open source and free of cost. It is readily available and can be used anywhere for public and private clouds. Large organizations are using OpenStack as a cloud service for managing their applications and services like AT&T, BMW, and others as well. There are some challenges while setting up the OpenStack and upgrading to the latest version and its long-term support. There is a good online support community that helps in fixing the issues and learning the OpenStack easily. It is one of the best choices to start working on cloud computing and enhance learning in the field of the cloud.
This has been a guide to Install OpenStack. Here we have discussed the steps to install OpenStack and components of OpenStack in a concise way. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –