Updated March 4, 2023
What is the Full Form of NDTV?
The Full form of NDTV is New Delhi Television Ltd. Recently NDTV has been under focus because of the shift in the channel’s stakes. In 1988, Prannay Roy and Radhika Roy built this channel, which became India’s number-one news channel. NDTV is widely known for its impeccable and honest journalism in Hindi news channels. In this blog, you will understand the full form of NDTV, its history so far, and how the change in stakes in the company will impact the news delivery on this channel.
Brief on NDTV
- Founded in the era when private news channels were redundant, NDTV is a broadcasting news channel and a digital publisher. It enjoys the tag of being India’s leading news channel and one of the most honest journalism platforms; with the shift in the stakes to Adnai Group (64.71%), the channel awaits new challenges ahead.
- Audiences may have a different faith than they had due to the involvement of the Adani Group, as it is a rising business group. The impact of the channel through these long years is impeccable, and the audiences believe that the quality of journalism will not compromise.
- NDTV was the first news channel in India to develop a lifestyle broadcast that had never been seen before. Many shows on the channel through these 30 years have focused mainly on social issues, like Save Our Tigers, 7 Wonders of India, and Support My School.
- It is honest, unbiased, and a crusader for truth in journalism, where fake news and gossip are more prevalent than actual journalism. NDTV is the winner of many awards in journalism and has always shown loopholes in the policies of the government and its legislation.
- Channel is one of the longest-running Indian news channels in the United Kingdom; it is the top choice of Indians residing in the UK for election polls and campaigns. The NDTV 24*7 is the only Indian news channel broadcast in countries like the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Mauritius, the Middle East, and South Africa.
The History of NDTV
There needs to be more than the full form of NDTV to understand the history and journey of the channel to date. It is crucial to understand the evolution of the news company from the Doordarshan era to the Adani era.
1. Doordarshan Phase (1984-1988)
- The channel came at a time when Doordarshan was the only source of news for audiences all across the country. The channel’s journey began as a production house for the satellite network Doordarshan before becoming a commercial news network in 1988.
- The channel got its first break in one of the Doordarshan slots where they broadcasted ‘The World This Week’ weekly news, instantly becoming a hit among the news viewers in India. From here, the channel never looked back and progressed to become India’s top news network.
- The election results in coverage in India, and budget sessions are the most viewed broadcast on NDTV networks.
2. The era of Success and Recognition (1988-2003)
- This era of the success of NDTV news networks was possible because of the collaboration with Star Network. With the successful collaboration with Star Network, NDTV got the opportunity to broadcast to slots at 9:00 p.m., which was an eventual success for the channel.
- Star Network became one of the most successful channels alongside BBC World And Doordarshan. The soar revenue was also indicative of the parallel success of the NDTV network. In partnership with Star Network, NDTV got editorial independence and produced much content on the channel.
3. Recognition of Independent Broadcaster (2003-2007)
- After its partnership with the Star Network dissolved, NDTV began to operate as an independent broadcaster. In the coming years, the channel launched NDTV 24*7 (English) and NDTV India (Hindi) as separate news channels.
- It conceptualized the promotion of TV anchors to make the brand name and get more recognition for the network. This news network became a household name and gained popularity among the Indian diaspora in a short period.
4. The Finacial Crisis and Digital Expansion (2007-2015)
- All success stories have faced a once or twice financial crisis in their entire journey of the venture. During massive success, the channel heads a financial crisis for a prolonged period.
- The idea of expansion collided with the financial crisis, which hit the channel hard. It led the company’s promoters to borrow from the external market and other channels.
5. The Running Era of Expansion (2015-23)
- NDTV has been under the government’s scrutiny for a prolonged period for being an anti-national journalism channel in India. The channel’s straightforward approach to government policies and schemes has made it a target for the government.
- Since August 2022, the Adani group has taken over the company with 64.71% of the stake in the channel. The company’s shift has dramatically changed and will indeed affect the viewer’s perception of the channel.
Given the immaculate history of the channel and its large viewership both in India and abroad, the journey ahead of the channel will be in focus. Adani group has a large share of the news network it becomes essential to understand the channel’s journey from the start till date. This article covers the full form of NDTV and attempts to make you aware of the changing equations in the channel.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Full Form of NDTV” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,