Updated June 26, 2023
Introduction to Drupal Interview Questions And Answers
Dries Buytaert developed or created Drupal, an open-source content management system, also known as a content management framework, blog software, and community. Drupal released its latest version, 8.5, in 2000, which supports Unix-like and Windows operating systems. Developers wrote it in PHP, and it is available in multiple languages. The architecture of Drupal is based on the Presentation Abstraction Control (PAC) software architectural pattern, which follows the model view controller. Organizations primarily use Drupal as a flexible and richly featured content management system.
Below are the critical 2023 Drupal Interview Questions and Answers frequently asked in an interview.
Part 1 – Drupal Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Drupal Interview Questions and answers.
1. Explain’ Core’ in Drupal briefly.
Drupal uses “Core,” which provides many features and functions. Drupal is based on Core modules, themes, Auto-update notifications, database abstraction, and accessibility. The core module offers features like advanced search, books, blogs, comments, a Multi-level menu system, multi-site support, multi-user content creation, security and the new update, workflow tools, user profiles, access static, and logging. The core theme will provide a different feel and look to websites and blogs.
2. What are Node and Block in Drupal?
In Drupal, the term “node” refers to any new story, page, forum topic, or other type of website content. The node module allows users to add, remove, and edit content. Regions are certain areas on a website, including the left sidebar, header, and footer, where users can set up chunks of data to display in various places on the page.
Let us move to the following Drupal Interview Questions.
3. Explain PDO.
PDO is referred to as PHP Data Objects. It is a consistent way to access the database. It helps the developers to write code more efficiently. It is like a data access layer that uses a unified API. Drupal provides a database abstraction layer, which helps the developer to work efficiently with multi-database servers. It is used to preserve the syntax and power of SQL and to work with complex functionality. It provides a defined interface for dynamic queries using security checks and good practices.
4. What are the features of Drupal?
The main features are listed below:
- Easy to develop and manage the site.
- Open source and readily available.
- Highly flexible, creative, and effective display of the website.
- It can be used in Multilingual.
- Performance is better.
- More secure.
- Easily editable and has better support.
5. Explain the responsive theme in Drupal.
It is how to develop compatible websites across monitor sizes, screen resolutions, and platforms like computers, tablets, and mobile devices. The website, once set in Drupal, can be used for any platform. Themes like this give one look at one site for each forum without doing anything extra.
6. Explain the working of Caching in Drupal.
With the help of caching, it speeds up the website’s performance of loading the pages. The different types are:
- Page caching: –
- It can be used for anonymous users if it’s get enabled.
- It enables the entire HTML page to be stored in a database that reduces the number of queries required.
- Block caching: –
- When a block is created by views, cache settings for a block in pictures can be set.
- Use block_cache_altermodule to fix this for each block.
- The block cache settings will be used if it’s enabled.
- Minimum cache Lifetime: –
- Amount of time before the page cache is cleared.
- Page caches get cleared on each cron run.
- Expiration of Cached pages: –
- Applies to an eternal mechanism like a browser cache.
- The setting will only be practical when the page cache is turned on.
Part 2 – Drupal Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Drupal Interview Questions.
1. Explain Drush, Drupal weight, and Drupal Cron briefly.
Drush is a UNIX scripting interface for Drupal. It is a command-line shell. It is mainly helpful for those primarily working on command line tools only.
Drupal weight tells the priority or order to process the block or node’s block or node’s particular function and display.
Drupal Cron executes commands or scripts automatically at specific date and time intervals.
2. Explain the disadvantages of Drupal.
The disadvantages are:
- Drupal is not compatible with other software.
- Drupal does not have a user-friendly interface.
- It needs good knowledge about the platform to install and modify.
- Developing a website in Drupal requires a lot of knowledge.
- It has a high learning curve.
- Drupal generates more server loads and cannot open with a slow internet connection.
3. Define the patch and explain how to apply it in Drupal.
With the help of patches, the changes in code, like addition and deletion to Drupal core, can be done in Drupal. The program changes the other copy of a primary or original file in a structured, standard way, leading to differences.
Let us move to the following Drupal Interview Questions.
4. Where to use the theme hook, and what is the use of that file?
To override the theme functions not listed in the essential list, this PHP file must start with opening the PHP tag and informing the PHP template.
5. Difference between WordPress and Drupal?
The difference between WordPress and Drupal is:
|1||WordPress has a front controller architecture.||Drupal has Presentation abstraction Control architecture.|
|2||WordPress is written in PHP and based on MySQL as well.||The creators of Drupal wrote it in PHP using the Symphony framework of PHP.|
|3||WordPress is not available in Multi-languages||Drupal is available in Multi-languages.|
|4||WordPress has been used for a variety of websites and applications.||Drupal is often considered an ideal platform for developing large, complex, content-heavy websites.|
|5||WordPress themes and plugins really help in better customization.||Drupal provides fewer features for customization.|
|6||WordPress user interface is more user-friendly.||A Drupal user interface is less friendly as compared to WordPress.|
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Drupal Interview Questions” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.