Introduction to Drupal Interview Questions And Answers
Drupal is an open source content management system. It is also referred to as a content management framework, blog software, and community. It was developed or created by Dries Buytaert. Drupal was released in the year 2000 and its latest version is 8.5. It supported the operating system Unix-like and windows. It was written in PHP. Its available in multi languages. Drupal architecture is based on a software architectural pattern, which is known as Presentation Abstraction Control (PAC) and PAC follows the model view controller. Drupal is mainly used as flexible and richly featured content management system.
Below are the 11 important Drupal Interview Questions and Answers that are frequently asked in an interview. This set of questions is divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – Drupal Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Drupal Interview Questions and answers
1. Explain ’Core’ in Drupal briefly?
Drupal uses the term mainly “Core”, which provides the wide extendibility of the features and functions. Drupal is based on Core modules, Core themes, Auto-update notification, database abstraction, and accessibility. Core module provides the different features like advanced search, books, blogs, comments, Multi-level menu system, multi-site support, multi-user content creation, security and the new update, workflow tools, user profiles, access static, and logging. Core theme will provide the different feel and look to website and blogs.
2. What is Node and Block in Drupal?
In Drupal, if there is any new story or page, forum topic etc. is referred to as a node. Node module is responsible and takes care of adding, removing, and editing operation on any content in a website. A piece of information (block) can be displayed at a particular location and that location is called a region. Regions are like left side bar, header, footer etc. Blocks can be fit into any region based on configuration settings.
Let us move to the next Drupal Interview Questions.
3. Explain PDO?
4.5 (433 ratings)
PDO is referred as PHP Data Objects. It is a consistent way to access the database. It helps the developers to write code in the easier way. It is like a data access layer that uses a unified API. Drupal provides a database abstraction layer, which helps the developer to work easily with multi-database servers. It is used to preserve the syntax and power of SQL and to work with complex functionality. It provides a defined interface for dynamic queries with using security checks and good practices. This process is developed at the top of the PDO database API.
4. What are the features of Drupal?
This is the common Drupal Interview Questions asked in an interview. The main features are listed below:
- Easy to develop and manage the site.
- Open source and easily available.
- Highly flexible, creative and effective display of the website.
- Can be used in Multilingual.
- Performance is better.
- More secure.
- Easily editable and better support.
5. Explain the responsive theme in Drupal?
It is the way for developing websites that allow the website to be compatible across monitor sizes, screen resolutions and platforms like a computer, tablet, and mobile device. The website once developed in Drupal can be used for any platform. Themes like this, give one look to one site for each platform, without doing any extra thing.
6. Explain the working of Caching in Drupal?
With the help of caching it speeds up the website performance of loading the pages. The different types are:
- Page caching: –
- It can be used for anonymous users if it’s get enabled.
- It enables the entire HTML page to be stored in a database that reduces the number of queries required.
- Block caching: –
- When block created by views, cache settings for a block in views can be set.
- Use block_cache_altermodule to set this for each block.
- The block cache settings will be used if it’s enabled.
- Minimum cache Life time: –
- Amount of time before the page cache is cleared.
- Page caches get cleared on each cron run.
- Expiration of Cached pages: –
- Applies for an eternal mechanism like browser cache.
- The setting will be only in effect when the page cache is turned on.
Part 2 – Drupal Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Drupal Interview Questions.
7. Explain Drush, Drupal weight, and Drupal Cron briefly?
Drush is a UNIX scripting interface for Drupal. It is command line shell. It is mainly helpful for those who are mainly worked on command line tools only.
Drupal weight tells the priority or order to process the particular function and display of the block or node.
Drupal Cron is used to executing the commands or scripts automatically at a particular date and time intervals.
8. Explain the disadvantages of Drupal?
The disadvantages are:
- Drupal is not compatible with other software.
- Drupal is not having a user-friendly interface.
- Its performance is low compared to other content management systems.
- It needs good knowledge about the platform to install and modify.
- To develop the website in Drupal, it requires a lot of knowledge.
- It has a high learning curve.
- Drupal generates more server loads and not able to open with a slow internet connection.
9. Define patch and explain how to apply in Drupal?
Patch is a file that is having a list of differences between one set of files or the other. In Drupal, with help of patches the changes in code like addition, deletion to Drupal core can be done. The differences are done in structured, standard way which refers to the program to make changes to the other copy of a main or original file.
Let us move to the next Drupal Interview Questions.
10.Where to use theme hook and what is the use of that file?
template.php in the theme folder. This php file is used to override other theme functions. This file must start with opening PHP tag. PHP Template should be informed to override the theme functions which are not listed in the basic list. This is the most popular Drupal Interview Questions which is frequently asked in an interview.
11.Difference between WordPress and Drupal?
The difference between WordPress and Drupal is:
|1||WordPress has a front controller architecture.||Drupal has Presentation abstraction Control architecture.|
|2||WordPress was written in PHP and based on MySQL as well.||Drupal was written in PHP using the symphony framework of PHP|
|3||WordPress is not available in Multi languages||Drupal is available in Multi languages.|
|4||WordPress has been used for small websites or applications.||Drupal is more ideal for large content based websites.|
|5||WordPress themes and plugins really help in better customization||Drupal provides the fewer features for customization.|
|6||WordPress user interface is more user-friendly.||A Drupal user interface is less friendly as compared to WordPress.|
This has been a guide to List Of Drupal Interview Questions and Answers so that the candidate can crackdown these Drupal Interview Questions easily. Here in this post, we have studied about top Drupal Interview Questions which are often asked in interviews. You may also look at the following articles to learn more