Updated March 6, 2023
Difference between DevSecOps vs DevOps
When we combine both development and operations in IT with equal importance, we call the process DevOps. Here, we don’t have testers, developers, and analysts. The entire software development lifecycle is combined to form DevOps. All teams work together towards a common goal. DevOps is another form of Agile methodology as many steps are copied from Agile. DevSecOps is a culture that involves development, security, and operations. Security is involved in each phase of the software development cycle and a separate team is not allocated for the same. Everyone is accountable for security in DevSecOps.
Head to Head Comparison between DevSecOps vs DevOps (Infographics)
Below are the top 7 differences between DevSecOps vs DevOps:
Key Differences between DevSecOps vs DevOps
Following are the Key differences between DevSecOps vs DevOps are given below:
- DevOps is an evolution of traditional development where developers used to rely on analysts and operations teams to get their code into production after development. Here, waiting time after developing a code or an application was more as the operations team will have other priorities as well. When considering DevSecOps, it is the evolution of traditional security where after development, the code was tested many times by security professionals to check the quality of code. Combining DevOps with security helps the DevOps team to know the vulnerability of the code and to modify it sooner.
- The primary reason behind DevOps evolution was to increase productivity as development and operation teams work together to avoid any miscommunications. Different issues were figured out faster than before and the gap between developers and security teams was removed with the arrival of DevSecOps. The way of thinking was improved a lot now as different teams think and work together.
- Communication gaps and productivity time were high for the development team. Hence the goal of DevOps is always speed. The faster the work is done; the efficient team we have in DevOps. DevSecOps aims at providing security along with faster development and operations. Nothing is compromised when the team has faster development and operations teams.
- DevOps team focuses more on developing and deploying the code. The process is made faster with good communication between the team members. DevSecOps team focuses on the security of the code along with faster development and deployment. The password of the application must be clear for the initial use of the user and the hidden passwords must not be easy to crack for anyone.
- Security of DevOps process is considered only after the development and deployment of code into higher environments. Here security is not given importance in the first stage. Only routine checks are done after deployment. But in DevSecOps, security is taken care of during all stages of development. Security is integrated along with building the application or a DevOps pipeline. Security is not compromised in any stages of development or deployment and hence security professionals are as important as developers or operations team.
- Operations teams are not considered as support team members and they are given equal importance as developers in DevOps. Responsibility for development and deployment is equal for both the teams in DevOps. In DevSecOps, the responsibility is equal for developers, operations team or testing team, and infrastructure team.
Development of codes, deployment of codes into higher environments, and vulnerability of codes is made into a single skill called DevSecOps. This involves DevOps and SecOps. Initial transformation might be difficult and time-consuming, but the struggle is for better monitoring of the application as a whole with the perspective of security in all stages.
DevSecOps vs DevOps Comparison Table
Comparison between DevSecOps vs DevOps are given below:
|The main purpose is to provide a secure process of entire development so that there will not be any technical glitch once the application is released.||The goal is to reduce and eliminate the communication gap between different teams so that the entire process of code deployment and development is done faster.|
|Threat modeling and security testing is the process involved in DevSecOps. Here, all the pipelines during deployment are tested so that time and money is saved. Also, testing is based on checking the vulnerabilities of the application to avoid future mishaps.||The process of DevOps involves Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery. Code is always integrated into the development environment and higher environments. Continuous delivery means the release is automated for a faster process and to avoid miscommunication.|
|Automation is done for security testing so that all new developments are tested on a regular basis and in an automated manner. Reports are generated if common vulnerabilities occur often during CI or CD process. DevSecOps never allow security to be compromised.||Automation for DevOps is mainly for releasing codes into higher environments. This helps developers to know the changes done by team members and to work accordingly. Changes need not be notified to team members often as they can check the releases and deployment logs.|
|In DevSecOps’s point of view, all the applications must be secured before starting so that the application security is not compromised at all. This makes the infrastructure more powerful in all ways.||Integration of developers and operations team is not an application point of view but the change of mindset to see all works as equal and important for the development of an application. Understanding the work and helping others for the same is important.|
|Continuous feedback after each stage of development and code integration is important in the perspective of DevSecOps. Proper warnings for vulnerabilities are provided and alerts to fix the security issues.||The process is always continuous either in deployment or integration so that there is no bottleneck or waiting time for any process. No one is dependent on any others and hence time is saved.|
|There is no specific term to be used in synonym with DevSecOps. Development, security, and operations must be in constant competition with each other to achieve good results.||Working code is used to control the process and automate the same. It is called a Policy as Code.|
|Monitoring the security incidents is done through incident management. Proper standards are created to raise incidents and hence security concerns are managed.||Application infrastructure is managed through codes as infrastructure as code. Here managing the codes and designing the same can happen in the same platform.|
This is a guide to DevSecOps vs DevOps. Here we also discuss the DevSecOps vs DevOps key differences with infographics and a comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –