Introduction to Database Security
Database security can be defined as concept of adding protection against the databases, which embraces Data handled by various elements inside a system. The main purpose of adding this feature to a system, with higher prospective for accessing the linked databases and database management systems, is that the need for keeping up the confidentiality, data quality and maintenance of data integrity. This type of security measure is typically applied on larger databases, as the absence of this measure can cause possible data leakage or vulnerability to hacking, which can be easily used for penetrating into the connected systems.
Top Benefits of Database Security
Database security is an essential part of an organization that has multiple inter-related databases and database management systems, which work alongside the functional elements of the organization’s applications. The security precautions installed for a database system can help in preventing many possibly serious consequences of breach.
The below are some of the beneficial characteristics of executing a security element for a database,
- Databases can be safe guarded from security breaches and Hacking activities like firewall intrusion, virus spread, and ransomware. This helps in protecting the company’s susceptible information, which cannot be shared with outsiders at any cause.
- Put a stop to attacks like malware contagious files, and other infections that are possible for unsecure database systems.
- Guaranteed protection for the server systems from any substantial harm that might result in the failure in data processing or data retrieval.
- The system aids in averting the data failure from being data distortion, with respect to the configuration, the linked files and the scripting of inaccurate programs.
- This feature comes with a commitment the database users and the management professionals from the business area, so as to keep the perceptive data accumulated precisely for utilizing the information aptly.
- When the databases security conforms to the company policies and terms, the applications are free from the risk of getting messed up, as it can protect the organization by making it cost effective along as well.
- Though adding the security attributes to the existing database is going to cost the business, it helps in making sure the expenses are going to be an Investment rather than a loss.
Database Security Controls
Database security comes with various control capabilities, so as to keep the database out from exposing the confidential information by following the security protocols.
The below are few such control mechanisms used to implement the aspects,
- Solidification and Constant Supervision: The fundamental structural design of the Database Security offers supplementary way in to the Database Management Systems or the Databases. The steady and stable update on the system aids in keeping the database systems reliable, to work along the safety measures and arrangements as a part of security precautions. This can be achieved by keeping the system rigid, without any holes, and by keeping an eye on the system functioning all the time.
- DBMS System Composition: A significant part of successfully operating a database system is the configuration set for the database management system. The configuration should cover the admin activities and privileges, like the access handling activities. Hence, any mismanagement in the configuration settings can lead to a big dent in the database protection. When setting up the Database Security system onto an application, these measures are in –built, and the configuration process is made easy.
- Sturdiness: The methods comprises of multiple authentication features, namely the practice for confirming the other personnels accessing the system with the respective authorization parameters like username and password. This lets the database security to be kept intact, and aids in keeping up the system protection in place.
- Admittance Criteria: A chief effect of employing database security characteristics is to make a valuable constraint for the systems or the personnels to get their hands on the information included in the database systems. Limitations set on access rights helps in keeping the system organized and clean. And, this aspect when added to the database systems can enhance the security quality for the database.
- Periodical Inspection: Supervising the database constantly on regular intervals, with scheduled frequency, plays a major role in providing better security for the database system. It facilitates in identifying the misbehaviours, preventing possible malfunctions, lessening the general crash of the database management, by keeping the whole system clean to a certain extend.
- Imaging and making copies for Backups: Imaging and making multiple copies of the same system can ensure in not contaminating a fully functional database. These backups can help in holding the security protocols in place. By storing the copies and images in a different location, one can always go back to the previous version if at all the system is crashed or collapsed. This is a type of data recovery process, which falls under the database security feature. It also helps in regaining the lost data, cleaning out the contamination data, avoid hacking, etc.
- Encryption: Encryption is the most commonly used type of data protection, and this method can be easily applied on the contents of the data or the database itself. This process comes with a set of responsibilities like handling the encryption keys, securing the encryption unit, overseeing the backup sources, maintaining the admission control rules, etc.
- Application security: Database and application security construction, installation and maintenance needs to be shielded common hackers/ system attacks, who intend to make the most of the information. Hence it can also cover application security, to the database level.
Database Security Tools
The following are some of the commonly used DS Tools,
- IBM Guardium
- Always Encrypted
- Gemalto SafeNet ProtectDB
- BSQL Hacker
- Imperva SecureSphere
- Oracle Audit Vault
- Mentis Suite
- DB Defence
The is a crucial constituent in creating and maintaining the database systems that are accessed by multiple systems in a bigger application surface. It protects the databases from a few potential threats like loss of data, wrongful access privileges, phishing, cyberattacks like malware & ransomware, configuration issues, etc.
This is a guide to Database Security. Here we discuss an introduction to Database Security, top benefits with security control and tools. You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –
- Relational Database
- Normalization In DBMS
- What Is DBMS?
- Roles Of Database Management System In Industry