Difference between Data Visualization and Business Intelligence
Data visualization is the graphical representation of the data and information, extracted from data mining using the visual elements like graph, chart, and maps, data visualization tool, and techniques helps in analyzing massive amount of information and make decision on top of it whereas business intelligence uses the data from the business operations and transform the raw data into the meaningful information, it is used for data analytics, data mining and big data to operate the business.
I would like to define Data visualization as It is the process of interacting with clients to understand patterns, trends, and insights by transforming data into a visual context. Data visualization is to generate visuals from the data. It can be in any form like tables, graphs, charts, images, patterns, movies, etc.
- Data visualization represents information so that it can be seen, in a way that it can be learned quickly and easily
- Data visualization feels be natural to represent things
- Data visualization focus on reporting data
- Data Visualisation means to interact with their data
- Data visualization deals generally with analytical problem
- Information of interest to be presented as a resolution sufficient to perform the task
- For POC to visualize the output and to monitor results to make ensure that models are performing as intended
Business Intelligence (BI)
Business Intelligence tools and applications are used to analyze data from business operations and transform raw data into meaningful, useful and actionable information. The first step to any form of Business Intelligence consists in gathering raw data or historical data. After that Business Intelligence tool helps in visualization, reporting, and analytics functions which is used to interpret large volumes of data from the raw data.
- Business Intelligence is required to operate the business
- Business Intelligence helps in making business decisions based on past results
- Business Intelligence helps different organizations in better decision-making leveraging a wide range of latest tools and methods.
- Business Intelligence involves varied processes and procedures which help in data collection, sharing and reporting to ensure better decision making.
- Business Intelligence is the broadest category involving data analytics, data mining and big data.
- Business Intelligence refers to data-driven decision making with the help of aggregation, analysis and visualization of data to strategize and manage business processes and policies.
- Business Intelligence tools make use of business data.
- Business Intelligence software should allow for a number of people to collaborate together and change existing data sets
- Business Intelligence is also essential for enterprise reporting and calculating Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Business Intelligence provides a global descriptive vision of an enterprise’s activity based on past data.
- Business Intelligence deals with analytics and reporting tools, which helps in determining trends using historical data.
- Business Intelligence focuses on achieving operational efficiency using real-time data to bring about efficiency in different job functions.
- Business Intelligence tools are specially designed to display results of analytics in a manner understandable even to a layman.
- Business Intelligence can range from very general contextual awareness to very specific use cases
- Business Intelligence is focused on situational awareness and developing context from meaningful business data.
Head to Head Comparison between Data Visualization and Business Intelligence
Below is the Top 11 Comparison between Data Visualization vs Business Intelligence
Key Difference between Data Visualization and Business Intelligence
Data Visualization is used for representing your data in meaning full way while Business Intelligence is required to operate the business from mostly historical data. Below are the key differences are as follows.
- Data Visualisation is a way to interact with the data while Business Intelligence tools transform the data into meaningful visuals, reports, or dashboards that provide context for analysts to make business decisions.
- Data Visualisation only interacts with reporting data while Business Intelligence is a powerful business performance enabler and not only focused on solving specific business questions.
- Data Visualisation deals with an analytical problem while Business intelligence is relatively passive solution, limited to descriptive statistics, pivot table type queries and standard data visualizations.
- Data Visualisation offers lots of tool like Tableau, which provide very easy and quick steps to visualize data and report while Business Intelligence, users become more sophisticated and understand the value of good data, they want more integration, more visualization and most of all, better, more concise access to data with less effort.
Data Visualization vs Business Intelligence Comparison Table
Below are the major distinguishing between Data Visualization vs Business Intelligence:
|Basis of comparison||Data Visualisation||Business Intelligence|
|Objectives||It represents information to be quickly learned and understandable||It refers to data-driven decision making with the help of aggregation, analysis and visualization of data to strategize and manage business processes and policies|
|Focus||Reporting Data||Business Data|
|Various Task||Used generally for Analytical problem||Used for Data Analytics, Data Mining, and Big Data|
|Definition||Data visualization is the process of helping people or clients to understand patterns, trends, and insights by transforming data into a visual context.||Business Intelligence tools and applications are used to analyze data from business operations and transform raw data into meaningful, useful and actionable information.|
|Expertise||Typically easier to operate than traditional statistical analysis software||BI involves varied processes and procedures which help in data collection, sharing and reporting to ensure better decision making|
|What for?||Mostly processed data to visualize reports||Old data for better Business and growth|
|Business Decisions||Business decisions rely on reporting data||Business decisions based on past results|
|Data Types||Mostly structured Data||Mostly Historical sets of interrelated data|
|Benefits||Required to tell story form the data
|Required to operate the Business|
|Used for?||Natural to represent things||Enterprise reporting and calculating Key Performance Indicators|
|Mainly for?||Data Visualisations can be used in real-time as well as Batch processing. But mostly in Batch processing||Business Intelligence can be used in real-time as well as Batch processing|
Data Visualization and Business Intelligence both are required together and play a very important part in Data Scientist team. They equally are part of any project. Business Intelligence is a process that makes easier to understand information and Data Visualisation is a method to tell a story of information. Both terms should be embraced by companies that want to lead the way to technological change and successfully understanding the data that makes their organizations run smoothly.
- Data visualisation vs Data analytics – 7 Best Things You Need To Know
- Business Intelligence VS Data Mining – Which One Is More Useful
- 3 Best Data Careers For Data Scientist vs Data Engineer vs Statistician
- Business Intelligence vs Business Analytics – Which One Is Better
- Career in Business Intelligence | Qualification Required