About Project Schedule Management
To understand what project schedule management is we have to first dive into understanding a little more about schedule management. Schedule management can be a term used outside a project and at any time. It depicts the internal process of carefully developing, maintaining, and communicating to relevant stakeholders the different schedules for time and resources for a task.
What is Schedule?
A schedule can be described at the sequence of tasks allocated to particular time periods throughout a day, week, month, or year. These schedules are essentially timetables for activities or tasks of a project, program, or portfolio. The schedule will demonstrate the work performed in progression over a fixed period of time (the time needed by the project, program, portfolio) and even factors the different risks, variations, resource fluctuations, and any estimated uncertainties pertaining to the work to be completed.
At the end of the schedule, the work is assumed to be completed successfully, with effective communication to all parties involved or concerned about the work, and the deliverables are the outputs. The approach used for the scheduling of a project will depend on the nature of the project, including the project type and the triple constraints that bind the project to a particular angle. We can have some projects that need to be completed, or the deliverables be met, by a certain date, others have either limited budget or limited resources allocated. These factors are very instrumental in determining the schedule for your project, and managing these schedules is what project schedule management is all about.
Scope of Project Schedule Management
Project schedule management isn’t restricted to a particular industry or line of work, but can span across different sections of work using different scheduling techniques. Normally, in projects, a separate team is employed to coordinate and maintain the schedules of a project, based on the project plan and the updates that take place on a real-time basis. These experts or team of experts put to use highly effective and efficient techniques used in project schedule management.
Methods for Project Schedule Management
There are many methods used in project schedule management that can yield the results needed by a project manager and a scheduler to get the project kick-started. These methods all have the same goal in mind but possess different paths that can be selected based on the type of project or based on the components’ availability.
Method #1 – Work Breakdown Structure
Within project schedule management, a project scheduler needs to have 3 components to start off a project schedule and its implementation. These components include:
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Estimation of Effort for Each Task
- Availability List of Resources on the Project
Based on these components, the project scheduling takes place and the management kicks off to ensure that the project progresses through the time period allotted as per schedule. To explain WBS in short, we can describe it as a hierarchical expression of the work to be undertaken by the project in terms of deliverables. When I say hierarchical, WBS stresses on approaching the work to be completed from the highest level of the workflow (product), proceeding to the lower levels.
This breaking down of the workflow into smaller units brings out the level of details contained within these work units, which are needed to complete the deliverables. These units when worked upon finally contribute to the end goal of the project. As the structure goes into the lower levels, the WBS calls them tasks. Many tasks contribute to a summary task, which is a broad element just below the highest level (product) of the WBS.
The smaller the unit, the more manageable they will be. But, too many can also cause a clutter, so as a project manager, it’s important to get the WBS done correctly, without including unnecessary clutter and not doing away with important tasks. A project manager should be able to identify the deliverables to be achieved to completely and successfully achieve the project objective and goals.
Once you have your tasks in place, you need to estimate the effort for each task. This effort will work in conjunction with the list of resources to fit in a budget and the time required, giving you a complete project schedule that you can manage.
Method #2 – Wideband Delphi
If the above mentioned components aren’t available, project managers often resort to this consensus-oriented estimation method to get the project schedule and its management up and running. In this method, every task and aspect is an estimate and a consensus is taken among all the project team members and stakeholders to get to a schedule that is most accurate. This method depends on the fact that people drive a schedule to its successful completion on the basis of what they believe will be the right time and effort needed to complete the task. In these cases, the criteria should be put before them by the project manager based on the triple constraints.
Project Schedule Management Course Description
- Need for Project Schedule Management – We all know that establishing a correct project schedule is so very important for a project to work on the lines of discipline and conformity. A project schedule ensures that work is done, and the timelines ensure that work is done by a particular set of resources at a particular budget. Ensuring scope is a necessary for any project, and having these factored into a schedule is what project schedule management is all about. In this section, you will learn more about why exactly do we need project schedule management for our projects and why exactly do we intend to manage schedules like we do.
- Effort / Schedule / Cost Estimation – In this section, learn all there is to estimating the effort and cost and coming up with the project schedule. Learn about the repercussions of the project schedule estimations that we conduct and the role it plays in project management.
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) – The WBS forms a crucial part in establishing the project schedule and helps in project schedule management during the course or progress of the project in question. Learn about the different characteristics and types that WBS possesses and know in detail its benefits in the long run.
What Are the Prerequisites for the Project Schedule Management Training?
If you’re keen on learning about project schedule management, there is a fair chance that you’re among those individuals who have dipped their fingers into the pot of project schedule management or have at least roamed around the pot with a view to gaining access. This training course is specially designed in a way to impart wholesome knowledge that begins right from scratch. With a curriculum that starts building or paving the way right from the subject’s foundation, there are a few criteria that are required from you to get started, and since you have arrived at this page, I am sure you fit the bill and are ready to go dip.
- Basic computer knowledge is a must – Individuals need to be able to use a computer and be an intermediate user when it comes to computer knowledge. With different project schedule management software deployed at different organizations in various industries, this technical know-how can help you immensely.
- Basic knowledge of project management – Project schedule management falls under the paradigm of project management, and in order to successfully understand the processes and concepts mentioned in this course, it is necessary for individuals taking up this course to know about project management and phases a project needs to go through to achieve successful completion.
- Learning bug – The passion and zeal to learn and grow is what we need in a person taking up this course. With this passion to continuously learn you will be able to explore the curriculum completely and extend the learning into real-life applications and experiments.
With this course, we aim at bringing about a rise in the level of knowledge that is prevalent in the field of project management, especially in the sub-section of scheduling. This course is ideal for the individuals already involved in project management and those who have a fair idea about scheduling and the role it plays in the grand scheme of things. This course is suitable for you if you are among the following professionals:
- Associate Project Managers
- Project Management Professionals
- Program Managers
- Portfolio Managers
- Candidates aspiring for the PMP, PMI-SP certifications
- Project Schedulers / Schedule Executives
This training course can provide you with the right perspective on running through project schedules and making a great project schedule for your upcoming project.
FAQs – General Questions
- Do I need to have prior certifications in order to understand the concepts mentioned in this training course?
No. You only need to have a basic understanding of project management to understand the concepts and techniques in this training course. The curriculum can in fact help you out if you are planning to undertake certifications in the future.
- What is the success rate for this training course? Will I be able to become a project scheduling expert at office with this course?
This training course covers the basics and the knowledge sufficient for you to implement at your workplace. The success rate belted out by this training course is 100%, provided you give in your best at understanding the concepts mentioned and implementing them in a way of application at your organization. While promotions aren’t guaranteed as each individual is different and each organization is apart from another, you will be able to boast of a great and wider knowledge base, based on which, you will be able to succeed at your workplace.
- Will this training benefit an entrepreneur?
Yes. An entrepreneur wears all kinds of hats and that of a project manager is surely included. You will be able to implement project schedule management practices in your big project, which is your business venture, and this training will surely help you.
Project scheduling made easy is what this course is all about. eduCBA’s course is a unique course and helps you learn in great detail. I was having a lot of issues with my project scheduling as a project manager and I needed to have an upgrade in my knowledge and techniques. This course provided what I needed, a new perspective. Great materials and great explanation. Many examples are used and can help you understand. If you’re looking out for a schedule management course. This is the one for you.
I’ve been into project management for many years now and I decided it was time to relearn about project scheduling and management, as there are now many different tools and techniques coming up every season. This course was the one thing that helped me bridge the gap I felt. The videos are very informative and exclusive. I’ve tried online courses elsewhere as well but nothing like educba. Good stuff.
There are amazing options provided by eduCBA for different types of project management courses and I’ve completed 3 courses till now, the last one was project schedule management and the experience was amazing. Very enriching content and course material. The content is very nicely displayed and propagated. I am happy with the progress and the pace of these online courses offered, and I recommend these to anyone looking out for great project management content. The experts are experienced individuals as they have a lot of experiences to share with the candidates. 5 stars for this training.
Career Benefits of This Training
Any training course you undertake and that is part of eduCBA, we can guarantee that your learning graph will always hike in the best way possible. With learning comes growth and with growth comes many opportunities. Thus, with these opportunities you can establish a great career going forward.
- Getting to know a particular aspect of project management can help you with the needed vocabulary and thus, help you in describing issues within a business and providing clearer definitions of development areas and best practice
- Managing schedules is heavily influenced by the people driving the project; you can influence the people now
- Will help you to bring a peculiar knowledge base and expertise to the business
- Will improve communication among stakeholders and project team members
- Will help you stand in the face of competition
|Where do our learners come from?|
|Professionals from around the world have benefited from eduCBA’s Project Schedule Management Training courses. Some of the top places that our learners come from include New York, Dubai, San Francisco, Bay Area, New Jersey, Houston, Seattle, Toronto, London, Berlin, UAE, Chicago, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, India, Bangalore, New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Gurgaon among many.|