Updated June 9, 2023
Is Cloud Computing Virtualization?
Cloud computing is the delivery mode of service by using shared computing resources, data or software through the internet. Cloud computing technology is based on three factors- grid computing, utility computing, and automatic computing. Cloud Computing is the hosting and delivery method used to provide the software. Virtualization is the creation of a virtual (rather than actual) version of something, such as a server, a desktop, a storage device, an operating system, or network resources. It is the process of creating a virtual version of something like computer hardware. A Virtual machine provides an environment that is logically separated from the underlying hardware. Cloud computing and virtualization are two terms that often seem compatible. Although the two technologies seem to be similar, they are not the same thing. Their difference can significantly affect your business decisions.
Cloud computing, on the other hand, is a specific kind of IT setup that involves multiple computers or hardware pieces sending data through a wireless or IP-connected network. In most cases, cloud computing environments involve sending inputted data to remote locations through a somewhat abstract network trajectory known as “the cloud”. All the data is stored on the servers and can be accessed simply by authenticating with the help of the internet anywhere in the world. Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc., are the biggest cloud service providers that provide very large storage to their users and make the work easier.
Virtualization is a technology that separates functions from hardware, while clouds rely on that split. Virtualization is the platform for cloud computing, or virtualization is the base for cloud computing. Virtualization is the fundamental technology that directs cloud computing.
Virtualization separates the compute framework from physical environments. Virtualization helps you to run different operating systems and applications on the same system. Virtualization is a technology that allows you to create multiple simulated environments or dedicated resources from a single physical hardware system. Through virtualization, we plan for server consolidation through which we maintain multiple servers with different functionality. Server virtualization allows you to split the resources for balancing loads of a single server for multiple purposes. Virtualization software lets you divvy up the resources of a single physical server to create several separate virtual environments.
Can Cloud Computing replace Virtualization?
It plays a very important role in cloud computing technology. Virtualization changes the hardware-software relations. Virtualization is one of the fundamental elements of Cloud Computing. Cloud Computing and Virtualisation work together to provide different offerings. Virtualization helps cloud computing technology to utilize the full capabilities of cloud computing. The cloud offers virtualization products as a part of its services. The difference is that a true cloud provides the self-service feature, elasticity, automated management, scalability, and pay-as-you-go service that is not inherent to the technology. Virtualization is the product of a cloud. No, Cloud Computing is not going to replace virtualization.
Difference between Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- It is software that requires dedicated hardware for multiple virtual machines, while cloud computing refers to a service that results from that manipulation.
- Virtualization is a primary element of cloud computing, and it helps deliver on the value of cloud computing.
- It limits the scalability of Virtual Machine configuration, while Cloud computing can be extended as per your wish.
- Virtualization is a Software as a Service, while Cloud Computing is an Infrastructure as a Service.
- It offers you to install multiple operating systems on a single server or a computer, while Cloud Computing offers a large number of user to access the network through the same link.
- It doesn’t depend upon cloud computing, while we need virtualization for cloud computing.
- It is Image-based, while Cloud Computing is Template bases.
Types of Virtualization
The different types of virtualization are mentioned below.
1. Hardware Virtualization: Hardware Virtualization is the state in which virtual machine software is directly installed on the hardware. It is used for server platforms to control virtual machines. You can use different OS and applications on top of hardware virtualization.
2. Server Virtualization: Server Virtualization is the state in which virtual machine software is directly installed on the server. It is used in server balancing to balance the load.
3. Operating System Virtualization: Operating System Virtualization is the state in which the operating system is installed on the host operating system. It is used for testing applications on different platforms of the operating system.
4. Storage Virtualization: Storage Virtualization is the state in which the grouping of physical storage is done for multiple network storage devices to maintain a single storage device. It is mainly used for backup and recovery purposes.
Types of Cloud
Below are the different types of cloud on deployment mode:
1. Private Cloud: A private cloud means using a cloud infrastructure solely by one customer or organisation. The security level is highest while using the private cloud. This version of the cloud is controlled by certain people only.
2. Public Cloud: Public cloud means using cloud infrastructure on the premises of cloud computing only. the customer does not have physical control over the infrastructure. The security level is at risk while using the public cloud.
3. Hybrid Cloud: Hybrid cloud means you can use both services, private and public, depending upon their purposes. You can use customer login in public cloud and safeguard important data in the private cloud.
4. Community Cloud: Community cloud refers to sharing infrastructure between organisations to share data and data management concerns.
Virtualization lets you easily outsource your hardware and eliminate any energy costs associated with its operation. Keeping in mind virtualization is the technology while cloud computing as a Service,
Cloud can be used in the public domain as a service provider while IT companies can use virtualization for cost-efficient data center setup. If you do most of your work on a Mac but use select applications that are exclusive to PCs, you can run Windows on a virtual machine to get access to those applications without having to switch computers. You can select between Virtualisation and Cloud computing based on your purpose.
This has been a guide to Is Cloud Computing Virtualization? Here we have discussed the basic concept of types of cloud and virtualization. You may also look at the following articles –