Updated June 5, 2023
Introduction to CakePHP
CakePHP is a very fast open-source platform that is used for the development of the PHP Framework. It is an MVC-based model whose objective is the easy, distributed creation of Web applications. It is generally used also for handling a web application; the huge library support in Cake PHP makes this vision clear and easy for developers to adopt. The run-time infrastructure framework also makes things achievable with CakePHP. The lines of code as generally reduced while using Cake PHP. It is one of the quickest web development platforms.
Michal Tatarynowicz developed CakePHP in 2005; several patches and updates have been released on time since then. The latest stable release is 3.7.9 in 2019. The MVC architecture used in CakePHP guarantees the separation of business logic with various layers making the code redundant and clean.
Let us try to understand why to use the CAKE PHP.
- User-Friendly Tool: Cake PHP using the MVC architecture is user-friendly, and coding in CakePHP is quick and easy.
- Security: Highly Secure and capable of safe request handling.
- MVC Framework: It uses the MVC framework that follows the layered model approach keeping the business logic clean and layered.
- Easy Interaction with the Database: The developers have easy and full control over the database. CakePHP can handle insert, delete, and update operations easily.
- Testing Framework Support: It supports unit testing framework making it easy for developers to test the application.
- Highly Compatible: It is highly compatible with PHP stable versions.
- Built-in Validation: The built Validation of CakePHP makes the code validated.
- Search Engine URLs are friendly.
- It has massive support for Databases such as PostgreSQL, SQL Lite, and MYSQL.
Functions of CakePHP
- CakePHP has a request cycle that has several components; each of the requests goes with the following steps:
- The rule is redirected to index.php.
- Furthermore, the Autoloader and Bootstrap files are executed.
- The dispatch filter handles the request and generates a response if required.
- Afterward, a controller action calls and interacts with the model and components.
- View generates the response of the body and header with the use of Helper and Cells.
- The response is further sent back to the client.
- The controller interacts with the model and views to deliver the response generated back to the user.
- The user request in the application program begins with a user-requested page. The development team makes stages and passes the user requests one by one.
- When the client gives a request, the dispatcher carries out the request; the dispatcher filters the request that the client configures, then the controlled action is implemented, interacting with the model and taking the dynamic data. It takes the component, interacts with the database model, and sends feedback to the view. Finally, the request is displayed in the web browser.
Advantages and Disadvantages of CakePHP
Given below are the advantages and disadvantages mentioned:
- It is an open-source framework for web development.
- It supports the MVC model.
- It has easy curd operations, and the interaction with Databases is easy.
- It follows a built-in validation model.
- CakePHP easily handles email, cookies, and sessions.
- It has an inbuilt templating Engine.
- It has easy caching operations.
- It comes up with a single configuration file, making the configuration part easy.
- The separate business model for the business and presentation layer.
- The cost model is comparatively lower.
- Easy to understand.
- CakePHP is free to use for website and application development.
- It uses the ORM (Object Relational Mapping ) and integrates with the object-oriented model.
- It requires Zero Configuration for users to start with.
- The document support for Cake PHP is not that supportive.
- Implementing and learning PHP is always a bit heavy task.
- It offers a one-way routing framework lagging behind many frameworks.
- We need to update the default routes in CakePHP, which eventually is a tough task in PHP’.
Usage of CakePHP
- Used for Web development.
- Well, interaction with the database model.
- Generating Complex business solutions.
- The building of ORM-related business model.
- Used for MVC-based web applications.
From the above article, we saw the importance of CakePHP in the real world. We tried to understand how CakePHP works and its usage in PHP Programming from various examples and classifications. We also saw the skills required and the working criteria for CakePHP. The advantages and disadvantages gave us a clear model for using Cake PHP. The Architectural diagram helps us to understand the working of Cake PHP clearly. So from this above article, we have a fair knowledge of CakePHP and its usage.
This is a guide to CakePHP. Here we discuss the introduction and working of CakePHP along with advantages and disadvantages. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –