Updated July 4, 2023
Introduction to C++ Test Unit
The C++ test unit is a way to write down the tests for methods or functions in C++. It can test only insisted code inside a selected object, and in which we can say that unit testing means to communicate the code which can substantiate the separate parts, or units, of an application or library. A unit can be the single testable section of an application in which a unit test can be able to evaluate the code in a separate section; unit testing is a level of testing that can substantiate the nature of units of code.
What is C++ Test Unit?
The main purpose of unit testing is to separate the code for testing and determine that as planned. It is the main step in the development process because it can help to find errors in the early stage, which can be difficult to find out later. It also means that to write code that can describe the separate section or unit of any application, a small section of a testable part is called a testing unit. In C++, developers can write tests for methods and functions, allowing them to test the functionality of individual objects.
Why to Use C++ Test Unit?
Given below shows why to use the C++ test unit:
- To find out stupid bugs early: Unit testing can find out the errors before integration testing, and it is also true that we cannot be able to find out that after production, hence we can say that unit testing is like a safety net in which it can take time for every method or function for writing them. We can catch them when we create them.
- To avoid regressions: All bugs are not stupid, but some are very clever, so we can call them regression; if our system has been working for a long time in production, and we need to append the new functionality, then we need to modify the code, and then we need to roll out the new version.
- To get early feedback: Unit Testing using C++ can provide early feedback, which sometimes the feedback is like we have not created a new regression in which we can say that early feedback is like confidence.
- Better design: Writing unit tests for code is similar to writing code but divided into different units. The testable code is flexible because the units being tested are loosely coupled.
C++ Test Unit Framework
Given below is the C++ test unit framework:
1. Google Test
Google has developed this framework for its internal use, and now it is the most popular C++ testing framework. It is easy to use and can describe the process of generating ML reports with the testing results.
2. Boost Test Library
Some people from the committee of C++ created the popular C++ unit test framework, which is very good at documentation and handling exceptions.
Depending on the Junit testing framework for Java, the Cppunit can set out to match the profit for C++, which can be used by developers who have used the Junit or, we can say that similar testing tools.
C++ Test Testing Tools
There are some testing tools which are given below:
- It is a free tool, allowing one to interpret the testing script interactively but not impulsively.
- It can perform a similar process as Junit works for Java.
- It can assist the data-driven tests, which can pass correspondingly.
- Also, it can utilize the console runner to fill up and carry out the tests.
- A group of tools and APIs is available in this open-source tool, which can be used for unit testing.
- This tool has been utilized by the developers and in API for interpreting the test with the help of TestNG or Junit.
- The standard utilization of the mock object can be substituted by scrutinizing it.
- It can have three types of code coverage, Line coverage, Path coverage, and Data coverage.
- It is an open-source tool that can compute the Java code coverage.
- It can allow every developer to coverage the code fast.
- It can assist the class, line, method, basic block coverage, and report types like text, HTML, and XML.
- It is completely dependent on Java.
4. Quilt HTTP
- It is a free cross-platform dependent on the software’s benefit.
- It assists in computing the coverage of the Java program in unit testing with the help of statement coverage.
- It can have the Junit integration, it has some methods to manage flow graphs, and it can easily generate reports.
- JUnit and TestNG are Java unit testing frameworks that can be utilized to test web applications.
- JUnit has outlined it the same way, in which it can describe the test cases in organized forms to create the source code.
- It can decrease the unit testing customization regarding test cases reserved in a similar test suite.
- It is an open-source unit testing framework devoted to the PHP programming language.
- The base test class can expand the test case classes through methods and codes.
In this article, we conclude that C++ unit testing is how to test a method or function. We have also seen why to test the unit, its framework of it, and also the testing tools of C++, so this article will help to understand the concept of C++ unit testing.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “C++ Test Unit” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.