Difference between Bitbucket vs Github vs Gitlab
The bitbucket is defined as the web-based service that is used to version control of the system and uses Git and Mercurial as the revision control system. The bitbucket provides free and commercial account to the users. GitHub is the platform that provides the functionality for the software development version control system and helps the developers to develop the software using this platform. GitHub provides features of the Git platform and has its features. The GitLab is defined as the web-based layer, which lies above Git that helps to aggregate the speed of the Git platform. It helps the developer to manage the projects and maintain the system. In this topic, we are going to learn about Bitbucket vs Github vs Gitlab.
Head to Head Comparison Between Bitbucket vs Github vs Gitlab (Infographics)
Below are the top differences between Bitbucket vs Github vs Gitlab
Key differences of Bitbucket vs GitHub vs GitLab
- The key difference between all these three platforms, i.e. Bitbucket, GitHub, and GitLab, is the support of the open-source repository in the platform. Among all three, GitLab is the only platform that supports an open-source repository. The GitLab platform provides the functionality to the user to see the complete code on their official website. In the GitHub platform, although there is a large category of the free, open-source project, it is not categorized in the open-source repository. In the GitHub platform, there are many free, open-source type projects and helps to connect people who have a similar interest. In the Bitbucket platform, there is self-hosted version functionality where the developer gets the option to host their project privately, but the open-source repository feature is not there in the Bitbucket platform.
- The next difference between all these platforms is the importing of repositories. For a repository management platform, it must be able to import repositories from another platform also. In the case of the Bitbucket platform, the user can import repositories from the Mercurial platform. In GitHub, these functionalities are also supported, and the user can also import repositories from another platform. But in the case of the GitLab platform, the user can only import repositories from the git platform. If the user needs to use import the project from another platform, GitHub or Bitbucket is the perfect option for use.
- Another difference between the Bitbucket platform, the GitHub platform, and the GitLab platform is the distribution of projects. The bitbucket platform is used to distribute the project among the team members and is beneficial for them. The GitHub platform uses the organization level to distribute the project and is widely used by companies and organizations. In the GitLab platform, the projects are distributed in groups, and members of groups can access the project and share the code on the Gitlab platform. The group-level management can be done by adding the users to the group and can manage the group using the notification feature of the GitLab platform.
- The Bitbucket platform supports the feature of a pull request that help the request to pull the project from the platform. The GitHub platform also supports the pull request feature and helps the user get the platform’s project. In the GitLab platform, there is no such feature of the pull request, and instead of this merge request feature is supported in the GitLab platform.
- The code snippet can be shared in Bitbucket and GitLab platform, while in the GitHub platform, the gist is shared for the user. The snippet can be shared either public, private, or internal. The original code’s snippet can help the user get the basic idea and use it.
Comparison Table of Bitbucket vs Github vs Gitlab
Now let’s draft the comparison between Bitbucket and Github, and Gitlab in the table below.
|Free Private Repositories||The Bitbucket provides the functionality of free private repositories to the users.||There is no such functionality of free open repositories in the GitHub platform.||The GitLab also provides the functionality of free private repositories to the users.|
|Free Public Repositories||The Bitbucket provides the functionality of free public repositories to the users.||GitHub also provides the functionality of free public repositories to users.||The GitLab also provides the functionality of free public repositories to the users.|
|Merge Request or Issue templates||There is no such functionality in the Bitbucket platform.||In the GitHub platform, the user can ask for merge requests or issue templates.||In the GitLab platform also the user can ask for merge requests or issue templates.|
|Integrated CI||The integrated CI functionality is provided in the Bitbucket platform.||There is no such functionality in the GitHub platform. If the user wants to use this functionality, a third-party application can be used.||The integrated CI functionality is provided in the GitLab platform.
|Open-Source||The Bitbucket platform is not open source. The platform provides some features, but a complete platform is not open-source.||The GitHub platform is also not open-source, and the user has limited free features in this platform.||The GitLab is an open-source platform, and users can use all the features without paying any cost.|
|Navigation Usability||There is no such functionality provided in the Bitbucket platform.||The navigation usability is provided in the GitHub platform.||The navigation usability is provided in the GitLab platform.|
|Large size file storage||The Bitbucket platform is capable of providing the feature of storing file of large size.||The GitHub platform is capable of providing the feature of storing file of large size.||The GitLab platform is also capable of providing the feature of storing file of large size.
|Integration of third-party tool||The Bitbucket platform is capable of integrating third-party tools into the platform.||The GitHub platform is also capable of integrating third-party tools into the platform.
|The GitLab platform is also capable of integrating third-party tools into the platform.|
|Project analytics||The users can see the project analysis chart and burndown chart in the Bitbucket platform.||There is no such functionality provided for the GitHub platform, and features are limited for the user.||The user can see the burndown chart and project analysis chart in the GitLab platform.|
The Bitbucket platform, GitLab platform, and GitHub platform are the platform that helps the user to manage the project and share the project using these projects. Using these platforms, the software development version becomes easy and helps in the development of the project very easily. And as these platforms are open-source, these can be easily used by the developers for developing new or existing projects.
This is a guide to Bitbucket vs Github vs Gitlab. Here we discuss the Bitbucket and Github, and Gitlab key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –