Updated March 28, 2023
What is the Big Bang Model?
Big Bang Model is the simplest model in the Software Development Life Cycle. It requires less planning, lots of coding or programming and lots of funds. The model name shows Big Bang as it is inspired by the Big Bang theory. According to the theory, the scientists say that after Big Bang blast lots of galaxies, planets, and stars are developed gradually. Likewise, we combined time, effort, resources, funds and then we can achieve the best software product.
Block Diagram of Big Bang Model
The block diagram of big band model is as follows:
In this model, we do not follow any specific process or procedure but, it required a little bit of planning. In this model, we develop software by using time, effort and resources, but that product may or may not meet as per client (customer) requirement. This model is not actually suitable for large software development or complex projects as it is a high-risk model but for temporary and experimental or for small software we can use this model. Usually, this model is suitable for small projects where the development teams are very small i.e. one or two developers working together to build a software application or just as a dummy project and is also useful for academic or learning or practice projects. It is a good model for the software product where requirements are not clear or not understood and there is no release date for that software product.
- The SDLC is a model used in project management to provide steps to develop the software application or product successfully.
- SDLC stands for Software Development Life Cycle.
- One of the worst models for developing software is the Big Bang model. It is not used in the software industry, but useful for learning or experimental project purpose.
- It has no process or procedure, but little planning required for the development.
- The customer requirements are undefined or not clear.
- No need to meet as per the client requirement.
- Not mention the release date for the product.
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Big Bang Model
Below the points explain the advantages and disadvantages for the same:
- It is a simple model & Easy to Implement. It is a quite simple model to implement as there is no need of Software development life cycle process steps.
- It requires less planning. There is no need for big analysis and planning, just start coding. So there is no need for planning, analysis, documentation, high-level design, etc.
- It requires fewer resources. This model is preferred for small software development projects where 1 to 2 developers are working together to build a product or just as a dummy project.
- It is suitable for small projects. As per less no workforce and no need to SDLC process steps, so it handles small projects only.
- It is cost-effective. To implement this model in software development, it requires fewer resources, less developers, and less managing cost, so it is cost-effective.
- Easily managing. There is no inbound procedures are required to start the project. So this model is easy to manage. It is good for small projects with a low-risk factor.
- It has no time limit for project so flexible for developers: For the software product, there is no release date for deployment and it puts less pressure on developers to develop the product.
- It produces good developer i.e. full stack developer: This model helps to develop software coding skill in different technologies for the newcomers or students.
- It is not suitable for Big or complex projects. As a highly risky model, so we can’t use it to developing a big or complex project.
- It is an Extremely Risky model. Due to less planning and no need to follow the SDLC process steps during software development, so this model is a risky model.
- It has uncertainty in nature. The existence of the software product may or may not use for Business purpose or durability of the product is less, so it has uncertainty in nature.
- It is an inexpensive model. This model provides less return on investment (ROI) as the product didn’t use in the global market.
- It is the worst model for long and ongoing projects. For a long or big project, we need multiple steps, like, service level agreement, planning, preparation, analysis, testing, execution, etc whereas in Big Bang model doesn’t have it. So it is the worst model for a big project.
Conclusion – Big Bang Model
In this article, we especially discussed with one of the SDLC Big Bang models. By which we develop a small project for learning or university level. It is not suitable for the software industry to develop a big project as a highly risky model. Nowadays, all software industry uses Agile model to develop a software product. This article also provides the pros and cons of the Big Bang model and finally if you ask what is the best example of the Big Bang model? Then the best answer is “HACKATHON” i.e. a platform or codefest or an event to develop a piece of working software by developers or students within a short period of time.
This is a guide to the Big Bang Model. Here we discuss what is Big Bang Model? along with the block diagram and advantages and disadvantages. You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –